Dont buy SMC batteries

Old 08-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)

Originally Posted by All4BSpinnin View Post
Of course its everyones fault but the mfg right?
In alot of cases, YES. I've seen the abuse, heating and over-charging! They're not designed for that kind of treatment! Yes, there will be some bad ones, no doubt, but why can alot of guys run the same batterys for a year or two, and then some are swelling them in the first day???
Old 08-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andy Koback View Post
In alot of cases, YES. I've seen the abuse, heating and over-charging! They're not designed for that kind of treatment! Yes, there will be some bad ones, no doubt, but why can alot of guys run the same batterys for a year or two, and then some are swelling them in the first day???
Thats SMC quality.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by streetsports View Post
thanks for the heads up on smc packs
+1......I appreciate threads like this
Old 08-29-2010, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andy Koback View Post
Abuse, neglect, and cheap chargers cause most of these problems!!!
Andy, in some cases yes. and in some no.I dont own cheap chargers.My packs dont sit Idle for long periods in between use(we run weekely on the track at my home)I do balance my packs, I have never heated my packs,I dont over discharge my packs, and I dont charge at more than 1s charge rate.My only pack that has ever puffed has been an SMC.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I usually wont post on threads like this but it is too obvoius. My local track has a sand bucket of puffed packs. 90% of them are SMC pacs, including 2 of mine. the other 10% are cheap ebay chinese packs. Hmmm worse than the 19 buck cheapies seeing as the kids at the track all run the cheap ebayers and not too many people run SMC.. Every SMC I've ever had has failed and I take great care of my lipo's... 1c charge, no heat, stored 70%, big rest between charge, high-ish lipo cutoff. All my other batteries are great.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by mikecatts View Post
Hi all..
Just a warning..SMC batteries does NOT back up their products..So be warned..Do not buy SMC batteries..They suck.
I got some faulty packs.5200, 50c, 7.4 volt..
They swelled, one of the balance wires was off.and they dont run too long..
Ive contacted Danny Sullivan (SMC)..and promised he to send replacements..That was 3 months ago..So they dont even garrentee their products..Now he doesnt even answer his mail..Shonky..
So again..do not buy SMC batteries..
Mike
one of my smc 6000mah 28c puffed, i contacted danny, sent him some pics of the battery and got a new to my door, a week later for free.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)
Thumbs up sitting here going hmmm.

Well I have seen almost all battery brands and makes fail.. mostly due to something the user does not know about.. Like chargers peak voltage .. some chargers peak V on a 2 cell is 8.2 volts while others are 8.7 volts and higher.. That is a fact.. and most all lipo cells can not take that slight voltage difference.. as in .15 volts a cell..I have had a few lipo packs last for 3 years +. I race 2x a week 4 races a pack and then practice runs add another 2..I know I have 4 packs that have well over 1000+ cycles on them.. and they are still my favorite packs..and I know all my chargers I use are set dead-on at 8.4000V finish..And I know not that many guys using chargers have the ability to adjust the peak settings on there chargers of have a meter that is as exact as the ones I have.. But I do feel that makers of lipo should test there cells on all know chargers and disclose the results..ie.. brand xxxx1 charger should not be used and brand xxx1b should be used along with xxx and xxx6 /and xxx7 chargers is also recomended..I have only seen this warning on Orion packs..I have a south korean pack that is almost 4 years old 3400 mah 2 cell lipo with a 25c.. I love this pack cost me a total of $15.95.. and then I have $150 packs that I think are junk.. they get hot after a 5 minute run with a 17.5motor and then have a distinct smell when charging..as to the original listers point .. He has the right to Dog a manufacture when they dont or will not stand behind there junk they sell.. The only unprofessional here is the Customer Service rep he has delt with PERIOD...Just my unhumble opinion
Old 09-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I've had 6 SMC packs and for the most part have been great! I had a problem with 1 pack and I believe it was Danny I spoke to had me UPS the pack to him, and 2 days later I had a brand new pack.