Dont buy SMC batteries

Old 04-30-2010, 10:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhock View Post
Moderator please delete this post. This is totally unprofessional.
ur unprofessional, many people do this, giving a fair warning to others who are in the market for packs, if somebody else were to buy these packs, and get a faulty one, they may be in his shoes as well, and im sure you wouldn't like to be there...
Old 04-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default SMC

I shared several emails with Danny, i thought i was in good hands as he replied quickly. He asked for the barcode which i gave to him and he checked to see if there was anything wrong with that batch which he said no, my battery was the first one - which i now believe to be BS

I kept on him as i wasnt happy, the first charge and it swelled - my very first and sadly last SMC pack. Eventually he said he would email me the address of their supplier where i could send my pack to be checked - that email never came - i emailed him another 3 times and no reply. That pretty much summed up what their attitude was to me "we're not interested". Ive been put on the "too hard and cant be bothered pile"

You know its so annoying thinking your buying quality and then you get let down like that, i could have bought an Intellect pack for cheaper but i thought the more expensive the better the quality - WRONG!!

To the guys who have had good packs im happy for you as you got what i wanted but didnt get - quality - it must be a good feeling charging a pack knowing its not going to look like a puffer fish
Old 04-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by not home View Post
ur unprofessional, many people do this, giving a fair warning to others who are in the market for packs, if somebody else were to buy these packs, and get a faulty one, they may be in his shoes as well, and im sure you wouldn't like to be there...
+1 dude my thoughts exactly
Old 05-01-2010, 03:23 AM
Tech Elite

I stopped showing my support for the company, by not buying their products.

Simple as that...
Old 05-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by junn View Post
+1 dude my thoughts exactly
+2 for me.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Tech Adept

Yet another thread about SMC. Both my packs swelled up after a few months even after treating them with proper care.
If some people on here think it is unprofessional to warn others and give their own opinion of a poor product then that is their problem. I do not see SMC on here defending these posts as I'm sure a quality lipo company like Maxamps would.
Whilst I'm on the subject of professionalism, isn't it un-professional of SMC to not contact people that have had problems with their product, or even keep their website up to date?

Full respect to you mikecatts for raising the issue (again!).
Old 05-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 232 (100%+)

Everyone is fast to blame the manufacturer for a "supposedly" bad battery pack but Not One...Not One person will admit they charged, discharged, improperly or heated the pack! Put the blame somewhere else. Seen this happen alot!!! Fess up guys!!!
Old 05-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andy Koback View Post
Everyone is fast to blame the manufacturer for a "supposedly" bad battery pack but Not One...Not One person will admit they charged, discharged, improperly or heated the pack! Put the blame somewhere else. Seen this happen alot!!! Fess up guys!!!

It's not a big secret that SMC has been ballooning up. I Know some of my friends thought it was their chargers since they thought SMC was a high quality batt. They have since tried other lipo brands on the same charger with out issue.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Andy Koback View Post
I also had a SMC pack also,but when I saw a few swollen at my club,I got rid of mine and got another brand.When I got the other brand most of the other guys followed me and I can say that there has never been a problem with this other brand.So it is not about misuse or anything else.It is a fact that the SMC batteries are swelling up,it is not an isolated case.So where should the blame be?
Old 05-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I bought a 40c SMC 5200 that swelled shortly after purchase. Danny replaced it for free yet the new one swelled shortly after. I gave it away and bought a Thunder Power. Actually even the cheap Chinese batteries I have bought were better. My LHS had a huge box of garbage swollen SMC batteries that he was told he couldn't send back because it was too many batteries. Thats not very good customer service in my eyes.

Danny was very attentive to me and got me the new battery quick. He was certainly standing behind his product and I appreciated that, but when you replace garbage with garbage whats the point?
Old 05-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default smc quality

Many SMC lipo's that I have seen that are more than a few months old have swelled. I thought the point of lipo was to have a battery that lasted years. SMC keeps saying that their batteries are more fragile because they are race packs. This is the same reason they give for why you can't leave their batteries fully charged for more 24 hours. The obvious question is why do smc packs swell, and thunder power packs don't swell, if they are both being treated the same way? No one can say that smc packs are faster than thunder power packs, so the "race" pack reasoning doesn't apply.

Since SMC brags that they have an exclusive supplier that no one else uses, the obvious conclusion is that smc's supplier is producing inferior cells (good power, but fragile.) This is similar to the ib cells that arrived doa in new packs years ago. Good power, but inferior cells.

To those that blame the user, why don't you hear issues with thunder power packs? I guess racers that buy smc packs must all abuse them, and they can't read. I think a good comparison is the trinity pulse motor (I think those were the problem motors.) When the motors started failing, everyone blamed the user. But guess what, the motors were junk.

What bothers me the most is that a good lipo pack should last years without an issue, as many do. It just seems that of the premium packs, the smc packs are the ones with issues. Lipo's don't require the babysitting that the ib cells needed, and since no-one is using nimh anymore, you can't blame the chargers. What's left??? The mentality of buying new lipo's every 6 months is ridiculous. The only ones it helps are the suppliers. The old thinking of new cells every season doesn't apply to lipo's, unless of course you use smc batteries, which have swollen.

One more thing, many times when a company doesn't respond to emails, and says that yours is the first issue they have seen, THEY ARE LYING. Especially, when your fellow racers are having the same issue. If SMC wants to do the right thing, offer a warranty like Max-Amps -> 3 years. How many people think that will happen? Since it's not likely, why would you buy packs that have issues, instead of packs that don't have issues, when they are about the same price?

Last edited by billjacobs; 05-01-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I had problems with 2 packs early on. They where replaced with no hastle at all and since the quality seems better.

Stick with packs that have the ROAR sticker on them and you should have no problems.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
Many SMC lipo's that I have seen that are more than a few months old have swelled. I thought the point of lipo was to have a battery that lasted years. SMC keeps saying that their batteries are more fragile because they are race packs. This is the same reason they give for why you can't leave their batteries fully charged for more 24 hours. The obvious question is why do smc packs swell, and thunder power packs don't swell, if they are both being treated the same way? No one can say that smc packs are faster than thunder power packs, so the "race" pack reasoning doesn't apply.

Since SMC brags that they have an exclusive supplier that no one else uses, the obvious conclusion is that smc's supplier is producing inferior cells (good power, but fragile.) This is similar to the ib cells that arrived doa in new packs years ago. Good power, but inferior cells.

To those that blame the user, why don't you here issues with thunder power packs? I guess racers that buy smc packs must all abuse them, and they can't read. I think a good comparison is the trinity pulse motor (I think those were the problem motors.) When the motors started failing, everyone blamed the user. But guess what, the motors were junk.

What bothers me the most is that a good lipo pack should last years without an issue, as many do. It just seems that of the premium packs, the smc packs are the ones with issues. Lipo's don't require the babysitting that the ib cells needed, and since no-one is using nimh anymore, you can't blame the chargers. What's left??? The mentality of buying new lipo's every 6 months is ridiculous. The only ones it helps are the suppliers. The old thinking of new cells every season doesn't apply to lipo's, unless of course you use smc batteries, which have swollen.

One more thing, many times when a company doesn't respond to emails, and says that yours is the first issue they have seen, THEY ARE LYING. Especially, when your fellow racers are having the same issue. If SMC wants to do the right thing, offer a warranty like Max-Amps -> 3 years. How many people think that will happen?
Well said
I now have thunder power packs,they are about two years old.I have charged at 10 amps a few times and to this day the packs are still strong,I don't even discharge or balance my packs,never had a problem.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:48 PM
AMZ
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I had 4 of the 6000mah lipos puff bad on on me.

Never again.

I will stick with MaxAmps and Venoms.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Tech Rookie

My 4700mAh MR Edition is also swollen. Always balanced/charged with 4,7Amps. My LRP Packs work fine and they are older....

Never again SMC...

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service