Wiki Posts
Search

** Low Ball Offers **

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (97%+)
Default ** Low Ball Offers **

Just curious to know how many other people are tired of even answering low ball offers. If I list something for $20 shipped (lower 48), I dont want to get a dozen different offers for $10 shipped to Canada! I actually start getting these offers within minutes of listing! My general reply is that I dont want to drop the price within the first 24 hours of listing. What I really want to say is "Does this kind of low ball offering EVER work for you?"! I guess some people just dont understand that when shipping is included in a price, there isnt THAT much room to haggle! Do they expect me to PAY them to take it off my hands? Im sure this has already been talked about in here and MANY other forums, but this is kind of like therapy for me. Better to post it here in the form of a question than go off on someone because Im . Time to jump off my "soap box" and get something done. Thanks for listening!
Old 03-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

One thing I've noticed is the longer I'm in this hobby, the more people I run into that cannot afford this hobby. I've basically stopped trying to sell stuff on the forums because it seems all I am doing is blowing off PM after PM of low ball offers, someone wanting to trade, or someone asking me if I will hold an item until they have enough money to purchase. It's ridiculous. The way I look at it, if you are in this hobby, then you should be making enough money every month to pay all your bills, feed your family, put some money into savings, and then if you have money leftover to play with, then you can afford it. Nothing like getting a message from someone who wants to buy your stuff, but then says he can't right now because he just had to pay for groceries and utility bills. Don't be a cheap d***. It seems this hobby is full of them.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Just cause you guys must run into guys like this all the damn time doesnt mean you need to bad mouth them. We are all guilty of low ball offers and dont say your not. Im guilty of it. The thing is, it never hurts to try to get the best price you can for an item. Im pretty sure you guys would rather get a 100 dollar item for 80 bucks, I KNOW I WOULD!!! Dont be dicks about it. I have delt with people like that also but it is nothing to get upset about and say this hobby is full of them. I know many and many people that arent like that. Sorry for your luck.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Am I guilty of offering a lower price than listed? Yes, if the ad says OBO. Have a ever low balled?...no I haven't. Were not talking about negotiating a price here, were talking about people who offer you $50 for a $100 item you list as a firm price. The guy who offers to trade me a busted up and bashed Revo for my $200 race roller, the guy who PMs me and says he'll buy something, only to PM me back saying his Paypal won't go through or is suddenly broke and wants me to hold onto something until he has enough money.

I have had some great transactions before on the forums. It just seems for the one guy who honestly has the money to purchase something, there are 15 others I have to weed through. I don't think of this as bashing others, I think of it as reminding others to read the For Sale posts carefully, and not waste the sellers time with stupid questions and unreasonable offers.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by diesel32x
Just cause you guys must run into guys like this all the damn time doesnt mean you need to bad mouth them. We are all guilty of low ball offers and dont say your not. Im guilty of it. The thing is, it never hurts to try to get the best price you can for an item. Im pretty sure you guys would rather get a 100 dollar item for 80 bucks, I KNOW I WOULD!!! Dont be dicks about it. I have delt with people like that also but it is nothing to get upset about and say this hobby is full of them. I know many and many people that arent like that. Sorry for your luck.
I didnt bad mouth anyone. I was simply stating my frustration. You happen to be the one calling people d***s. But you are TOTALLY missing the point here. It wouldnt bother me if the listing was a week old, but to get an offer of $35 shipped within minutes of listing an item at $50 shipped is ridiculous. BTW...I can say with 100% certainty that I HAVE NEVER LOW BALL OFFERED ANYONE!
Old 03-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I totally agree, I've had so many people offer me crazy low amounts for stuff that its not even funny. I'm sorry but 25$ shipped across the country for an item thats worth 50 before shipping is nuts. And I also ran into one of those "my paypal broke" people who d***ed me around for 2 weeks on an item coming up with excuse after excuse.

I've had some good quick deals on here but maybe 1 our of 15 people who message me actually have the money to do a deal it seems. Just another reason I'll be happy to unload the rest of my R/C stuff and be completely out of the hobby.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

Low Ball is also a relative term.
Offering 50 for something listed as 100 is low ball to whom?
Offering 75 for a 100 listing is Low ball or negotiating?

Not all posts say price is firm. Does this open the door to "negotiations"
Some posts do say price firm... does this close the door to possible sales through negotiation?

It's all up to the seller.

And since the majority of us are not in a Communist Republic/State/Country/Etc... we can like and dislike.. agree and disagree with whatever we want..
Old 03-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

To me lowballing is a no-no. If the price is listed for 100 I may ask if they will sell for 90, but I feel thats not lowballing. Just ignore the pm. Why waste your time responding when their just wasting your time reading it? Brush it off and move to the next pm is the best thing to do. The last thing that you want to do is say something bad to that person. You never know, they may have something that you want some day.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I beleive if you are putting something up for sale, you WILL get lowballs. Just ignore those ones; they'll get the hint and don't waste your time on them. Also post "firm" and "no trades". It's the world of non retail where you can't avoid that stuff so take it in stride.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

I hate when you clearly post no trades and you get a pm saying, do you wanna trade for my third born.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

I agree with him. What is a low ball offer? T Wright, you might not think you have ever low ball offered anyone, but there might be a person that thinks you have. Im not looking for an arguement or confrontation here. Im just saying that we are all guilty of it whether we know it or not. Im in the same boat, I get frustrated when I post something up and it say no trades and the first PM you get is "Do you accept trades" or 100 dollar item and 2 minutes later "Will you take 50 for it" We have all been there. LOL T Wright, take a chill pill buddy, Life will go on!!!
Old 03-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by diesel32x
LOL T Wright, take a chill pill buddy, Life will go on!!!
Haha. Agreed.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

If you dont like getting offers, whether it be lowball or trades then you should probably go into retail business or use Ebay. How hard is it to read a PM? Its not like you have to respond. I cant blame anyone for trying to get the best deal, I have no problem at all sending an offer to someone, like it or not and its not because I'm too poor for this hobby, hell I probably spend more on fishing/hunting every year..

My .02
Old 03-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

if someone gives you a lowball offer just ignore them. in those cases its not worth the time or effort to say no.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:46 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Talking

I post no lowballs!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.