Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > For Sale/Trade Forums > Buyer/Seller dispute and discussion forum
what everyone should know about paypal >

what everyone should know about paypal

what everyone should know about paypal

Old 05-27-2009, 07:05 AM
Tech Adept

Default what everyone should know about paypal

well recently i sold an rc item online for $220. the buyer and myself used paypal as a medium for the exchange of $. so his transfer of $ to my paypal account cleared, then i transferred the % from my paypal account to my checking acct (which took 4 days). so since everything cleared and i had the $ i shipped the item to the buyer. 2 days later paypal called me to tell me that my account had a negative balance of $220, i asked them how that could happen and explained the recent transaction. they told me that the buyer never payed them (either expired credit card, no money in his account etc... they couldnt specify. so now they want the $220 from me, and they told me that this transaction wasnt eleageable for buyer protection and wouldnt tell me why. so now im out an rc and paypal wants the money for it. tey told me that it was up to me to contact the buyer to get the money. well i have emailed him several times with no response. through my several conversations with paypal all they tell me is that i need to pay this money. i dont understand how they continue to do business if they cant get their stuff straight. all in all it took about 5 days to complete the $ transaction, in all of that time they couldnt figure out that they wernt getting payed? i have also found a website with many others like myself who have gotten screwed by payapl, so i just wanted everyone to know the nightmare paypal can really be.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (99%+)

google has there new checkout thing thats like paypal!

way better imho
Old 05-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

you're getting screwed! as long as you got the receipt from paypal for a payment, you're set. if they don't get paid it's their problem and they'll go after the buyer. the payment receipt doesn't come from the buyer it comes from paypal. so if paypal emailed you the payment receipt and you have a copy, it's legally binding because they confirmed payment.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Tech Adept

the problem is that they arent going after the buyer. they told me that its up o me to contact the buyer about the money. paypal said that its all in their user agreement
Old 05-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Check on PayPal under the section about making certain you are covered. If I am not mistaken in order for some coverage to apply you must ship with a signature required when the item has been received. Sorry to say you may not have a chance.

I should also say that I have had two issues and they would not cover me on either. One I worked out and one I lost $200 on a E-Maxx that was in great shape even had pics. Different truck was shipped and it was trash.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

in order to be covered under 100% seller protection policy you MUST ship to the buyers address listed under paypal, the address MUST be confirmed. If the value of the item is above $250 you MUST request signature confirmation, if the value is below $250 you do not.

What this buyer possibly done was used a credit card to fund the purchase and then filed a "chargeback" with his CC company. The CC company then goes after paypal to recover lost funds and paypal goes after you!
Old 05-31-2009, 09:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would call a lawer. See what they say. It will be free from them to talk to you the 1st time. Yoiu could maybe sue the buyer for your money and court costs. Thats stright bullshit.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

You can't do anything and you can never win. I have a lot of experience with paypal as I am an ebay seller and used to accept payments on my website.
When you accept a payment you must make sure that the buyer paid with a verified paypal account and they MUST have a confirmed address. It should not say unconfirmed or unverified anywhere!
Then the payment that you received should be in your account and not pending (unless your account is new). Also make sure you are not paid via eCheck.

When you ship the item you should use signature confirmation and if over $100 I would also get shipping insurance (with USPS, UPS and Fedex you are covered for the first $100.00).

The item you shipped, how did you ship it? Was it delivered? Signed for? Left at door?

If you shipped it within the US then get the address and find the local police station.

You can write the thief an email saying that you will give him 24 hours to respond with confirmation that they will be shipping the item back or you will contact the XXXXXX Police Station to file an Online Fradulent Theft. You can state that the item was valued at over $500 and that it is a felony. If they do not respond then contact the local authorities.

The problem with the police is they won't even care to listen to you, they will tell you nothing can be done.l So basically you can order something and then call your CC company and tell them that you never got it, they will instantly credit your account back and take the money from the seller/vendor.

On 2 specific occasions I sent a customer an item. They did not want the item and filed a dispute for a charge back. They received the item and it was signed for with a signature confirmation. The customer wrote to me that they received the item, and they want to return it and if we do not pay for the shipping back they will keep the item and the money. I said that this will not be allowed. They said that they are keeping the item and the money. The did file a dispute and they got the funds back, we showed the bank that we shipped the item to the billing address which matched exactly against the information that the bank had on file. The cvv code matched perfectly! We showed them proof of delivery, the weight of the package, the value, receipts and we even showed them the emails that the customer wrote saying that they received the item and are keeping the money and the item. We lost the dispute and the money and the item.

We threatened the customer, they said they called the bank and the bank told them to keep the money and the item.

In essence.. BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!!!
(sorry for any typos and the long post lol)
Old 05-31-2009, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

that sucks.i make sure they have a confirmed address and paypal.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Sucks that happened to you.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

If Paypal says that you owe them the money, don't pay it. I'd close the account. Usually, PP just scoops the money from your banking account. If they didn't do that and want you to voluntarily pay the money, screw them.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

sounds like like you could have someone tryn to use paypal a cover for them to steal your money could be one of those bogus emails
Old 06-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tbstr3 View Post
sounds like like you could have someone tryn to use paypal a cover for them to steal your money could be one of those bogus emails
Yeah, i wouldnt use that paypal account anymore and close it. The hell with them, it's there fault.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

thanks for sharing all these experiences and info