Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 01:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Exclamation DO NOT BUY FROM USER "ELTSDIM"

Here is the "sale" thread:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...big-stuff.html

DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS SELLER.

6 wks after paying $390 for 2 cars + s&h I still haven't received anything.

This person doesn't answer PM's, or emails. An email was sent to the commercial website linked to this person's paypal account, to no avail either.

Paypal claim was filed, and was ruled out in my favor as the "seller" never answered paypal's emails. Unfortunately his paypal account was already empty, hence this ruling is useless.

at this stage I don't know if we're talking to a scammer here or whether this person really had a serious problem. It has happened to me in the past that a seller *died* (for real) right after I paid... Mother nature is temperamental sometimes, but this time, I have my doubts.

as a conclusion:

DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS SELLER.

Paul,
occasional rc-tech buyer but looooong-time rctech user (since oct 2001) - also looooong time ebay buyer/seller (since 1998).
Old 11-25-2008, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

bump before this disappears in the depths of rctech sales... already at the bottom of page 2
Old 11-25-2008, 06:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Bump to move it to the Top.

Also, peeps.. Lets try to stop these scammers.

If they have 0 (zero) feedback here. DONT SEND MONEY FIRST!

I just did a deal with tenpins77. New to the seller board.
0 feedback. Selling a MBX5 cheap. (Big flag for me) Asked him to ship first, I was willing to pay for the shipping costs.

Got the buggy this weekend. Sent him final payment.
Smooth deal. Very little risk.

IF the deal seems too good.. It probably is.
To be honest. There was a post about a DX3R that went up on Monday, seems too good to be true. I am not going to name names, or threads, but I hope that person that sent the money gets his DX3R...

Just my 2 cents
Old 11-25-2008, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Two things for everyone to think about when trading/buying/selling on these forums or ebay:
  1. Send monetary payment via Post Office money order. This way, if the person doesn't hold up his end of the bargain, you can get the Postal Inspector involved (the Feds) because of mail fraud (can't buy/beg your way out of that charge).
  2. Do the entire transaction COD. This way, you can get a little more insurance that you will get the product/monies that you are due. If you send the monies, then the person has to produce the package and vice versa. The only drawback is that the seller could give an empty box to the delivery person. But, with using a PO money order, you have them for mail fraud.
Personally, I don't do PayPal anymore for just the reason the starter of this thread posted. It is too easy to send the monies via PayPal, the seller empties the account and you get the shaft.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Was it a Personal account or Premium account ?
Or even a Free Paypal Account ?

I personally like to deal with Premium or verified Personal accounts.

But also never pay with paypal credit.
(Paypal don't seem to take care of things if things happen)
Pay with a credit card or bank card. So if something happens you file dispute with your bank. The bank then pulls the money from paypal and they will deal with paypa aka pushing paypal having to deal with the other guy. While in the mean time you have your money back in a couple of days.(As long as you provide proof) (Emails and so on)

Bump to the top again.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

i got scammed earyler this year... but i learned... just like TStorm said if they don't have any feedback don't deal with them....
Old 11-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am pretty new to this site and see problems with buying/selling. I have bought a few things and received feedback. The problem is someone new to the site is an unknown. Perhaps we could have someone local to the seller verify the parts and then there is a point of contact. Most of us live near a hobby shop or track and could find someone. This would require a database of member locations though. Just a thought.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Tech Addict

I know another item that some other boards have is minimum requirements.

20-50 posts, 30 day members.

I know that won't stop this from happening, but it may at least slow it down.

Remember, to ALWAYS get all the information from both Buyer, and Seller that you can. And verify what you can..

Name
Address
Phone (Home and Cell)
Place of employment
Etc......

The more info you have, the more secure you are!!

BTW.. I will offer up to help anyone that has had issues with people in Central Minnesota...
Old 11-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Let's keep the spotlight focused on this guy for awhile. Bump
Old 11-25-2008, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

My question is are there actually any active admins or moderators for the for sale forum? I know in a forum I am on something that has helped a lot is shutting threads if the poster does not provide pictures with a piece of paper stating their screen name. Proves the seller has the item at least
Old 11-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

i am new to here and the hobby. have never made any transactions yet.
i have made a decent amount of transactions on other forums.
on a couple of the computer forums i belong to we actually use a site called heatware.com to post feedback about deals.
it kinda helps some but you cant weed out all the scammers.

would feedback there, ebay and other forums be good ways to show trust.

i have been burnt in the past by shipping item first on a newer forum i belonged to. luckly it was only half the payment.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

My only comment is that in order to get feed back people need to take the time and actually give their feed back. I think I only have 5 replies but have done much more deals then what my feed back states. While this deal is unfortunate I just hope that something like this doesn't stop the honest people from making deals. Happy Thanksgiving to you all...........
Old 11-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Glad this is here now,
i almost bought one of those rigs.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Tech Addict

Heatware.com is a great feedback site.

I have suggested it before. But with localized feedback system in place. I doubt anyone would change over.
You could use it, with another trader, if they agreed to it.

I have 76 positive feedbacks on Heatware.Com
I used to do a TON of PC related buys/sells/trades.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shadow102
My question is are there actually any active admins or moderators for the for sale forum? I know in a forum I am on something that has helped a lot is shutting threads if the poster does not provide pictures with a piece of paper stating their screen name. Proves the seller has the item at least
there is no way i or any other moderator can watch every thread here, it is not the resposnibility of rctech to background each seller....you have to do some legwork...

also, a bit ago i tried to go after the ppl who were bumping threads more than once a day( i only wnt after the guys bumping 4 or more times a day)
i was met with extreme malice for my work....

that does not mean the we condone this behavior...

just repling to the moderator comment....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.