• 3 Post By TeamSkunkwerks
  • 3 Post By dogbone418
  • 2 Post By racer1812
  • 7 Post By nexxus

What would you do??

Old 06-10-2020, 01:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default What would you do??

So I purchased an item for the sellers asking price which included shipping. After the seller ships the item the seller contacts me asking for more money because shipping was more than he expected. I do not feel like I should have to give the seller the extra money for shipping. He posted an item for sale I paid what he was asking he shipped the item, end of story right? I paid what he asked. Would you give the seller the extra money that he is asking for for shipping cost being higher than he expected? I have sold many rc cars and have been off on shipping cost many times, never once did I contact the buyer asking for more money. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

That's on him, I would not send him any more money.

I have been the seller in that situation before, and I ate the shipping costs because my shipping estimate was wrong. He should do the same.
Andy Koback, flat6, DRTMI and 2 others like this.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:13 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Nope, no way. As sellers, we have all underestimated cost. I’ve taken some pretty big hits, but would never ask my buyer to pony up more cash. That’s tacky.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:25 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 133 (100%+)
Thumbs down Nope

It’s the responsibility of the seller to figure out the cost of shipping. That should have been done before they even listed the item for sale. Yeah, it could have been anyone’s guess on the cost, but the seller also could have said “Buyer pays actual shipping” to cover himself. Hell, I’m sure most sellers in here have underestimated shipping costs at some time or another. Asking for more money after the sale is just bad business.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

agree that's on the seller. probably just me but I get annoyed with these sellers that add 'shipping extra' or 'plus shipping'...just quote a shipped price and make the assumption that you're going to have to ship it across the country from CA to NY or whatever. when I see 'shipping extra' I keep scrolling.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you all for your responses I really appreciate it!
Old 06-10-2020, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I would tell the seller to take a long walk, off a short pier.
Marcos.J and Andy Koback like this.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Once you negotiated a final price which included shipping, the seller should have to "eat" the extra cost. The only time I would feel the seller would be justified to ask for more money would be if the buyer neglected to provide some information that made the shipment cost more, but I can't think of any scenario off the top of my head where this would realistically happen.

Unless the seller is trying to scam a few bucks from the buyer, it can be easy to under-estimate shipping costs due to not being able to properly calculate dimensional weight of packages. Also if you aren't a regular shipper, you many not keep up with rate changes from the last time you shipped.

If I was a seller and I under-estimated my shipping costs, I would let the buyer/recipient know that it cost more to ship but that I covered the costs. Sometimes honest mistakes happen and depending on the cost of the difference, the buyer may be willing to make up the difference. Maybe not. It doesn't hurt to try. Personally I would never do this as I think this is at best playing in a moral gray area.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As a seller I would never ask for extra money to cover my mistake of not estimating shipping costs properly, just worn it and happy to have sold goods.
As a buyer I have been asked to send money as gift through PayPal so seller doesn't get hit with fees. That's when I say NO but happy to throw in a couple of extra bucks to cover PayPal fees and pay as goods so I have protection.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:34 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

If the freight was cheaper than anticipated, would the seller be refunding you? I think not.

Poor form by the seller.
SteveM, Cain, Marcos.J and 4 others like this.
Old 06-19-2020, 05:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Heh, he can whistle for it!