• 1 Post By the rc guy
  • 1 Post By Troubles Dad
  • 1 Post By Mirkinator

Puffed Used Battery

Old 05-17-2020, 02:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Puffed Used Battery

So I recently purchased a used battery from a member here. I balance charged it @ 5amps, ran it a single run in my SCTE (along with my 3 other batteries) and noticed its severely puffed. The seller had a single top down picture in the post and no mention of any issues or puffing with the battery. This is just about ready to break out the case and I dont even want to charge it in its current state. I have 5 other *cheap* duratrax/venom/promatch batteries that ive run for years and never had any puffing in this same truck/setup.

So what does R/C Tech think? Am I in the wrong to request a full refund for the battery? I mean I get that its *used* and there is a risk to buying any second hand product and i did charge it. But I dont care about low IR, not having the full capacity, etc, I just want a battery that will charge will out me fearing its going to burn down my house. For full disclosure, I did not fully question the batteries state (would expect that to be on the seller) nor did I ask for any additional pictures.. Heres the batt.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

For me its hard to see how puffed it is in the picture but i assume that the tape around the edge is all screwed up because of the puff. If that is the case and its barely holding together your absolutely right - not safe and I would say that its not used - its used up. I dont think charging the battery in this case means you accepted full liability - running it makes it alittle more grey but it sounds like you didn't notice anything was wrong until after.

Looking at the original pic from the ad it looks fine. In combination with the clean other cars and battery I dont think I would of asked any questions either.

I would contact the seller and see what you can work out. Might be a little bit of caveat emptor on your part along with as seller that was less then honest with the representation of the batteries actual condition. Every story has two sides but you seem to be in the right to ask for a refund but you might need to eat shipping it back.
Mirkinator likes this.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mirkinator View Post
So I recently purchased a used battery from a member here. I balance charged it @ 5amps, ran it a single run in my SCTE (along with my 3 other batteries) and noticed its severely puffed. The seller had a single top down picture in the post and no mention of any issues or puffing with the battery. This is just about ready to break out the case and I dont even want to charge it in its current state. I have 5 other *cheap* duratrax/venom/promatch batteries that ive run for years and never had any puffing in this same truck/setup.

So what does R/C Tech think? Am I in the wrong to request a full refund for the battery? I mean I get that its *used* and there is a risk to buying any second hand product and i did charge it. But I dont care about low IR, not having the full capacity, etc, I just want a battery that will charge will out me fearing its going to burn down my house. For full disclosure, I did not fully question the batteries state (would expect that to be on the seller) nor did I ask for any additional pictures.. Heres the batt.

and you didnt noticed if it was puffed when you received it and before you charged it? from reading your post it puffed after you ran it

mach51 likes this.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
and you didnt noticed if it was puffed when you received it and before you charged it? from reading your post it puffed after you ran it
I did not notice it when I first got it. But it did show up right as I was leaving to the track, so I ran and threw it on my charger right away without a full inspection. It does seem if it was puffed before hand, it probably wasnt as swollen as it is now, but I sometimes do miss things right in front of me when in a hurry. You think because I cycled it once, I should now be fully responsible?

I did contact the seller on Saturday. I offered to come up with some compromise without me getting a full refund (like %50 the asking price) since I did charge it and there is a chance it just went bad at the same time. They have updated their post and ignored my message. I would be happy to meet in the middle, but if they arent going to respond, then I guess I have to go to paypal? I really feel like someone sold me a *bad* item.. But maybe I just have the wrong idea of how it should work...
Old 05-18-2020, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 262 (100%+)

That's the downside of buying used batteries. Not known how they were used/abused.
Marcos.J and Packfan like this.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My 2 cents....there is a responsibility of the buyer as well. Not to say ad was not misleading, but didnt ask the question before buying, didnt inspect upon receipt, didnt notice when charging, didnt notice when installing, only noticed after it was used. In my opinion, those all were opportunities to notice a puffed pack. I think the ship has sailed on this one.....
SteveM likes this.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

So you noticed no puffing charged battery then used it no ir either I think this is on the buyer...
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 194 (100%+)

I did a quick search and seen who you bought it from and the pic that was shown it appears the tape is coming off but pics lie, so you charged it and rctech people have no idea on what your settings are, voltage cut off or run time but you said it was in a scte and when I run my truck the battery gets hot and can make 8 minutes if I am lucky so I think their is another side to this and it would be nice if the seller had some say in this
this is just my opinion
joe c likes this.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

Screen shot of the battery?
Old 05-18-2020, 05:33 PM
Tech Adept

Yea, I definitely made some mistakes on my end. Why i was on the fence about this one and decided to see what others thought. I mean Paypal can be pretty tough on sellers and i really dont want to be that guy. And if the community really thinks the onus is on the buyer to fully vett any product before first use, while abolishing any future *right* to return after using said product, even once, Ill accept that.

I wasn’t really sure what people’s expectations should be. I personally think there should be some accountability to any used product that failed after a single use. But I also see how it is a pre-owned product, not like im getting a warranty and thats part of the risk I took when agreed to purchase.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Troubles Dad View Post
I did a quick search and seen who you bought it from and the pic that was shown it appears the tape is coming off but pics lie, so you charged it and rctech people have no idea on what your settings are, voltage cut off or run time but you said it was in a scte and when I run my truck the battery gets hot and can make 8 minutes if I am lucky so I think their is another side to this and it would be nice if the seller had some say in this
this is just my opinion
When it comes to the settings it was balance charged with max voltage of 8.40v(4.2 per cell) @5amps on a Venom Pro duo. I charged a total of 4 of my 2 cells lipos. Running a hobbywing xr8 Sct with the hobbywing 3660 combo that currently has the auto cutoff voltage setting that cuts out at 6.2v for a 2 cell. I ran all 4 batteries until cut off, which usually gives about 15min runtime. Its wasnt a particularly hard run. This was the last battery for the day and we were all packed up, so I immediately removed the battery to put in the lipo bag. It was warm, but neither the battery or the connectors were hot to the touch. Every other batt has performed this same task flawlessly for years. And they are reaching 3 years old. Why i was looking for another battery in the first place. So did i do something wrong here?
Old 05-18-2020, 06:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Cant say you did anything wrong with how you charged the battery or ran it - personally i like to only run my batteries down that low (3.2volts) but its fine. I would say you can cycle the battery and verify its capacity and watch to see how far out of balance it gets when you discharge. Those are good signs of a battery that is tired. If the pack is not coming off any warmer then your other batteries and the voltage between cells is with maybe .2 volts then maybe its ok. It doesn't look that out of square but the tape is maybe making it look worse!

Or discharge and dispose of safely and chalk it up to a cheap lesson learned before it gets to be an expensive lesson.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

My opinion is it was used and you had no idea on how much used it was and I have had trinity packs puff in vta and drop cells and I just don't buy used batteries but thats my opinion and if I sell a rx pack it comes with a vehicle and no warranty on the battery pack, so personally I think the seller should do something and you should be more cautious when in a hurry but this is just one opinion and hope that it all works out
Old 05-18-2020, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

Well while you guys were convincing me that this was all part of the risk, esp for batteries and I was thinking about just letting this one slide. Seller returned basically the entire purchase price. Still hasn’t responded to my pm (in which i offered a %50 compromise). He responded. But hey i will take it. Glad we got something worked out.

Thank you for all your opinions. I’ll probably stay away from buying used batteries for some time and definitely be a bit more careful
Andy Koback likes this.

Last edited by Mirkinator; 05-19-2020 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 137 (100%+)

I tried to get in on the 410.3 that guy was selling. he was NOT good to deal with. but with that, i'm afraid i agree with what has been posted. you not inspecting it prior to running it i think kinda puts it on you. i love buying used RC stuff and for the most part have been pretty fortunate with whom I've dealt with, but buying batteries is one item i usually won't mess with. i was burned on a used battery early in my rctech days.