Like Tree4Likes

deal question

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 06:50 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 1087 (100%+)
Default deal question

I'm reaching out to the community to get opinions.

Someone posted here selling out and didn't want to ship. Was close enough for me and I had a friend that needed some of this stuff. I agreed to send $100 deposit as the seller would be driving 2hrs and so would I. We met. I took a look at everything and was satisfied I would make an offer. He stated there was tons of stuff in the boxes etc that I didn't get a chance to take a look at but it was all the stuff he had except one thing he forgot. The offer I made was $150 less than the asking $1600 which I thought was reasonable as EVERYTHING in life is negociable. I specifically stated: "would you take $1450 for it all?" The sell agreed. I took out $1450, he counted we were good. In the heat of the moment I forgot to ask for the deposit refund. The next day I asked the seller to refund the $100 and he said no that was part of the price and that he only took $50 off because he forgot one item and that the deposit was only to be refunded if I wasn't satisfied. Being the person I am I said fine, I understand we don't agree, but to be fair lets meet in the middle and refund $50 and we'll call it square as my offer was $1450 total not $1550. He said no.

Fast forward to yesterday and I see the seller posting items related to the deal which he said were in the lot and stated all the items were "everything he had".

For me it's easy as I didn't pay via friends and family and I know I could get a refund if I file a dispute, but would like some input...
Old 05-31-2018, 08:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

What i don't understand if you two agreed on $1450 for all the items and he had $100 of your money as a deposit why did you give him $1450 instead of $1350
Old 05-31-2018, 08:15 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by 55Guy View Post
What i don't understand if you two agreed on $1450 for all the items and he had $100 of your money as a deposit why did you give him $1450 instead of $1350
In the moment I didn't think about it and I assumed(my mistake) he would refund as he had cash instead of paypal and he should not have used those funds as it was a deposit.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I was wrong

Last edited by Darkgenerals; 06-02-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Seller

I'm the seller in this dispute
the original price as posted was 1600$
he wanted to meet I asked for 100$ deposite as it was a couple hour drive
1500 to be paid upon meeting
i did leave out a starter box
so we agreed on 1450 at the time of meet
which also included the 100$ deposite
which made the total 1550
i did offer to ship the box when we were in person but agreed the 1450 was fine
i left zero items out of the lot outher than the mentioned starter box.
yes I have some outher items listed for sell
which are for a friend of mine that is not a member here.
he got everything I had listed and then tons more.
I did refund his 100$ deposite because he filed a paypal claim which I should not have but if he can live with dealing like that I can live without the 100$.
We meet in person he had every opportunity to inspect and discus in person. Each and every item.
None of my current listed items were ever a part of this lot.
Guess he seen me list a few things which I don't even own and thought I was trying to rip him off.
Just not the case I don't deal like that everything I've ever sold on here I've always stood behind. I always tell any and every buyer if there not happy I will refund them no questions asked.
I never agreed to 1450 total I agreed to 1450 upon meeting counting the 100$ deposite to equal 1550 total.
There is always 2 sides to every story/deal
i got ripped off out of 100$ plain and simple.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Well that explains why the buyer paid the $1450 plus the seller kept the $100 deposit that is what the seller was expecting. And I understand as a seller PayPay is not your friend very often. And I agree there are two sides to every story.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I'll edit my statement because I was wrong. It does look like bigwave thought he was getting everything for 1450. So maybe your both at fault for this one. Sounds like bad communication by both parties.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default Deal

It seems that both parties were under the assumption of different terms to the deal regarding the final selling price. So it would appear there was no "Meeting of the Minds" regarding the final selling price .????.......maybe you two guys can work it out since you know he can make a Paypal dispute. .......just my humble opinion
Old 06-02-2018, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 223 (100%+)

This was a face to face cash transaction, right? Why involve pay pal? If the deposit was made via pay pal, how can one dispute this? No merchandise was involved in the transaction.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:11 PM
Tech Regular

The deposite was just to put piece of mind before I drove 2.5 hours to meet him.
Ive went to meet a lot of people that never showed.
I told him when he sent the deposite it was 100% refundable if we met and he was not happy with the deal.
Outher wise it would be going to the total of the 1600$ price.
1500 to be paid when we met.
That in my opinion is pretty clear.
We met I forgot a starter box
we agreed on 1450 instead of 1500
the deposite was never ment to be refunded unless he did not buy the lot.
It was part of the total price.
Had he decided to not buy the lot I would have refunded him then and there.
Everything I had nitro related he got no questions asked.
At 1600 $ for what he got was a steal.
I would have never sold the lot for 1450$ I would have just split it and sold it.
Bigwavedave is a nice guy but in this instance he is wrong.
He had no issue filing a paypal claim and tying up my account without notice.
Dave you had every chance to look the lot over if you didn't like the deal you should not have bought it.
The deposite was part of the total price.
Its pretty simple.
I kept nothing outher than the starter box which I simply forgot to bring so I took 50$ off the total price. I even offered to ship it as well.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I am with Andy? How does paypal have any say in this as the deal was done in person and the majority of the payment was done in person. I like the idea of using paypal for deposits for any future transactions I might do on craigslist but wondering what the risks are with paypal's potential 3rd party input. Back in the day you left cash or a check (friends and family!) and came back later to settle up.

Either way good luck with working it out - definitely seems like a communication snafu. At least infrontofu isn't shying away from the thread.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:18 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Johnn27 View Post
It seems that both parties were under the assumption of different terms to the deal regarding the final selling price. So it would appear there was no "Meeting of the Minds" regarding the final selling price .????.......maybe you two guys can work it out since you know he can make a Paypal dispute. .......just my humble opinion
You are correct doesn't seem like we had a meeting of the minds. We never discussed final price prior to meeting as it would be impossible to determine prior to inspectiong. My verbal offer was $1450. I never said $1550.
I tried work it out and asked to meet in the middle and refund $50 which I feel is reasonable. He said no, so I let it go. Then I saw other items listed. I'll let paypal decide.

BTW Paypal was used as security to show I was serious about the purchase as we were both driving 2+ hours. Thought the seller would prefer cash than paypal...
Old 06-04-2018, 12:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bigwavedave33 View Post
You are correct doesn't seem like we had a meeting of the minds. We never discussed final price prior to meeting as it would be impossible to determine prior to inspectiong. My verbal offer was $1450. I never said $1550.
I tried work it out and asked to meet in the middle and refund $50 which I feel is reasonable. He said no, so I let it go. Then I saw other items listed. I'll let paypal decide.

BTW Paypal was used as security to show I was serious about the purchase as we were both driving 2+ hours. Thought the seller would prefer cash than paypal...

asking price was clearly posted on original post?
I would have never even considered selling for 1450$ total.
what items did I list that belonged in your lot?
please let me know.
Paypal didn't decide anything I sent you a refund of your deposite did I not?
you posted here to make your self feel better about filing a claim.
What ever you have to do that's fine
you still got well over 3000$ worth of stuff.
I would never have pulled this garbage on another member. Plain and simple
your a nice guy dave but you knew what the original price was.
You know I said I would refund the deposite if we met and you did not buy the stuff but if you did it was part of the total.
We will just have to agree to disagree
it's done and over with
you got one heck of a deal espeshally after getting 100$ back.
Hope the kid enjoys the buggy.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

It appears that there has been a misunderstanding between the two of you. That being said, is it really necessary to continue to piss on each others shoes in public for a deal that wasn't done(perhaps beyond initial contact) through the forums. This can all be argued out via email, text, Social media or water balloons at six paces. It doesn't need to be here where the peanut gallery can inject opinions and further exacerbate the situation.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigwavedave33 View Post

scumbag move IMO involving paypal.

i'm really not sure what benefit there is to the seller to ask for a $100 deposit. best case scenario, the $100 becomes part of the deal upon meeting. again, this is the BEST CASE SCENARIO, but what do you gain? why is that better than an extra $100 cash. that deposit is no guarantee that the guy will even show up. he could no show and he'd still probably get his money back via dispute. worst case scenario? well, that's what we have here. tire kicker buyer gives you the $100, low balls you in person after a 2+ hour drive, never specifically addresses the $100 deposit (convenient for the buyer), then files a dispute to recover the $100 after he "forgets" about it in formulating the deal.

what's really BS is that dave is trying really hard to cover for the scumbag move. on one hand he says he "forgot" about the deposit and then in the next breath he tells us about how the seller is selling other items (not listed in the lot he agreed to and visually inspected in person) after dave bought his "selling out lot". who cares what else he sells after this? if it wasn't mentioned in your deal, it has no bearing. by dave's admission, the missing starter box was made aware to him at the time of purchase so there is nothing to be re-couped post purchase for that.

bottom line is that dave said he "forgot" about the deposit. it is completely reasonable to assume that the seller didn't and included that as part of the deal.
Marcos.J, racer1812 and Slo_E4 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service