• 1 Post By grabbem88
  • 1 Post By gavoss
  • 2 Post By gavoss

Am I being a jerk?

Old 04-07-2018, 11:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Am I being a jerk?

OK, I'm new to RC cars, not RC. I've been flying models since '73 so I've been around. I was looking for a ready to run truck, TLR 22 specifically, an older 2.0 was fine. I found one here from a guy that had 18+ transactions.

While going back and forth on the deal I told him I was just getting started in RC cars and had NOTHING car related except a Lipo charger. I got suspicious when he kept asking me about specifics like do I need the motor, do I need the ESC etc? I kept telling him I needed EVERYTHING. I expected a ready to drive truck after I installed my radio. In one of my last PM's I asked specifically if I got "everything in the photos and everything else we talked about." I was assured I would. I was also concerned because there were many misspelled words and syntax errors in each and every PM and hoped that things didn't fall through the cracks because of a language barrier.

He shipped the next business day and I got it 2 days later. As soon as it hit the door he PM'ed asking if I was happy. I told him I was going through everything then and would let him know.

The most obvious item missing was the box that held all the spare parts. Instead I got a taped baggie, not even a Ziploc baggie! I went through the bag and noticed I was missing 2 tubes of green slime that were shown in the box. I got the motor, ESC and programming card in a bubble wrapped bag. But when I look to see if I have what it takes to mount everything to make the car run, I find the motor screws are missing along with the pinion gear and finally the clutch cover. I didn't even get any body clips! Now I'm disappointed. The majority of stuff was fully acceptable but to get what I thought I was buying to run, was now going to cost me another $30.

I pm'ed him back and told him what was missing and offered the following to sort it out. Send me $10 refund so I can buy some green slime and a pinion. I'll buy the box and clutch cover. Or I'll send it all back and ask for all my $ back. It was sent Paypal so I'll get the $ back I'm sure. His response was "I'm not refunding anything. You got a good deal". And overall, I think I did OK on the deal but it's not what I ordered.

While the financial part of the deal of buying a storage box, gear, clips and cover aren't really deal breakers, I was put off that I didn't get what we agreed upon and I'm concerned that now when I hook everything up, if there's an issue, he'll tell me it was my fault that it happened and I will be stuck.

Oh, when I told him I couldn't leave + feedback until it was solved, he said he was "OK if you don't want to leave feedback, just have fun" I think he forgot that there are other choices of feedback I can give. I know how important feedback can be and I don't need negative feedback with only 2 current positives. I'm concerned if I give him negative feedback he'll give me negative feedback and I won't be able to do anything about it.

SO, am I being a jerk to leave negative feedback? Should I just bite the bullet, don't leave feedback, buy the parts and not deal with that individual anymore? Or should I send it all back and wait for another car to come available or ?

I'm not mad, but I'm disappointed as I wanted a truck to race with my grandson who already has a truck.

BTW, I've kept all the PM just in case.

Last edited by gavoss; 04-07-2018 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Corrected an error in the facts
Old 04-07-2018, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 227 (100%+)

If it were me...I'd ask for full refund and then file a claim with Pay Pal...Items "not as described". Parts/stuff missing. Like you said, once you power it up, there may be other issues. Refund and wait for another deal.
aracefan likes this.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Thumbs up

+1
You didn't get what was supposed to be sent, it's that simple. Besides, him not having the ESC & motor installed might just be a move to blame you for something not working in the first place....

Originally Posted by Andy Koback View Post
If it were me...I'd ask for full refund and then file a claim with Pay Pal...Items "not as described". Parts/stuff missing. Like you said, once you power it up, there may be other issues. Refund and wait for another deal.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

The pics in his thread don't show the esc or motor mounted. If he sent you other pics then that's an issue.

https://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-ite...22t-2-0-a.html
Old 04-07-2018, 02:57 PM
Tech Adept

I stand corrected about the ESC. I corrected the the first post. I thought the wire I saw with the Deans connector was the ESC. It wasn't. It was from a battery pack. We talked about the motor/ESC in PM's, of which I've kept. I was VERY CLEAR about needing an RTR truck when it arrived and it's simply not that. I asked him what tooth # I needed for the pinion and he said he didn't know. However, he said he put the pinion on another car. He wouldn't even look at the other car to see what size the pinion was! That said...I've decided to return it for a refund. Now, should I leave negative feedback or just let it alone?
Old 04-07-2018, 03:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 150 (100%+)

The Team Losi 22 2.0T truck doesn't look too bad from the pics in the seller's original post. The seller did show a saddle pack in the truck but not sure if it was included as you didn't mention a battery. I didn't see a motor in the pics, but the seller mentioned a brushless Reedy 7.5T was included. Did you get that?

Sellers rarely include the plastic parts bins as they require a larger box for shipping and that costs buyers more. Did you specifically ask if was included or just assumed so?

The steering servo looks to be a Savox low profile, maybe an SG-1251MG which is a very nice servo, both sets of tires still have life, all the extra springs are great. The Hobbywing V3.1 ESC is top notch, and you need two 3mm bolts and some washers to mount the motor. If all you are missing are two $4 tubes of Green Slime and two 3mm bolts for the motor then you are not missing too much.

If there wasn't a manual, why not download one from the internet. Losi does a great job of supporting their products and the manual will give you some gearing suggestions. For a 7.5T motor the manual suggests 82T spur / 17T pinion.

Manual: http://www.tlracing.com/ProdInfo/Fil...nual-MULTI.pdf
Exploded View: http://www.tlracing.com/ProdInfo/Fil...loded_view.pdf

Sending it back for a full refund seems a bit extreme when you can inexpensively buy the few missing items, but your call.
2canSAM likes this.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Feedback would depend on how the return and refund process goes. Technically this deal isn't done yet, so it's too early to discuss feedback.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It seems when the seller started to offer truck as a roller he then removed esc/motor for anticipation of sale in that form?

In all honesty I don’t think the buyer is ready for the hobby if a bottle of green slime and a couple
Screws to mount a motor are keeping him from playing with his grandson.

Principles and accurate listings is very important and so are asking the right questions.

I’d say return it and move on to some hobby store purchase.
KA2AEV likes this.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:23 AM
Tech Adept

Grabbem88, thanks for the comments but I think you are missing the point. If you knew me I think you'd have a different comment, but you don't know me.

My point is I didn't get what HE said I would get. That's the problem. I've been in RC for a very long time and I've had my share of good and bad deals. I was expecting to get a RTR truck and I didn't get one. I have NO idea what size pinion I need for this motor/spur gear setup. You don't either because you don't have enough information to make an educated decision as to what I need. If I told you what turn motor I have and what spur gear I have you could probably tell me, but being new to RC cars I have no idea what pinion I need. The screws, slime, box and body pins don't really phase me. Not knowing what pinion I need and who to trust as to its size is what my main concern. Even the seller didn't know!!

If you decided to start flying pattern lets say and you bought a plane and motor from me you'd expect I could tell you which prop to use even though I said I'd send one to you so you could get right in the air but I didn't. Then I would either send you the prop or reimburse you for a prop.

The point is one should get what he pays for and when someone says "you'll get everything in the photo" then by God he should get what they AGREED upon.

I'm not upset by your comment BTW so don't take my comments like I'm attacking you as I'm not. I just think we should get what we pay for and agree upon. I DID ask the right questions but I didn't get what i ordered. Do you agree?
TIME MACHINE likes this.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
The Team Losi 22 2.0T truck doesn't look too bad from the pics in the seller's original post. The seller did show a saddle pack in the truck but not sure if it was included as you didn't mention a battery. I didn't see a motor in the pics, but the seller mentioned a brushless Reedy 7.5T was included. Did you get that?

Sellers rarely include the plastic parts bins as they require a larger box for shipping and that costs buyers more. Did you specifically ask if was included or just assumed so?

The steering servo looks to be a Savox low profile, maybe an SG-1251MG which is a very nice servo, both sets of tires still have life, all the extra springs are great. The Hobbywing V3.1 ESC is top notch, and you need two 3mm bolts and some washers to mount the motor. If all you are missing are two $4 tubes of Green Slime and two 3mm bolts for the motor then you are not missing too much.

If there wasn't a manual, why not download one from the internet. Losi does a great job of supporting their products and the manual will give you some gearing suggestions. For a 7.5T motor the manual suggests 82T spur / 17T pinion.

Manual: http://www.tlracing.com/ProdInfo/Fil...nual-MULTI.pdf
Exploded View: http://www.tlracing.com/ProdInfo/Fil...loded_view.pdf

Sending it back for a full refund seems a bit extreme when you can inexpensively buy the few missing items, but your call.
i think the bolded cuts to the chase.

OP: the risk you run is that if you send it all back and get a refund, perhaps you won't find as good of a deal (even with the money you'll have to spend to get what you think you should). if it were me and you are happy with the condition of everything you did get, i'd keep it, spend the dough to get what's missing and give him neutral feedback.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:53 AM
Tech Adept

I've changed my mind and decided to keep the truck. I did get a lot for my money, I just didn't get all that I paid for. I'd hoped to install my RX, charge the battery and run the truck. That's not what I got. Spending the $ isn't the issue here, getting what one pays for is. He hasn't left feedback yet and I'm sure if I give him anything but a positive, I'll get what I gave so even a neutral isn't going to cover this transaction properly. The other 4-5 people I've bought things from have sent exactly what I paid for and they are getting positives. Hopefully at the end of the week I'll have 4-5 positives and we'll call this trade an anomaly and press on.
Thanks everyone for your input. Race on!
Old 04-11-2018, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 227 (100%+)

If he gives you bad feedback in retaliation, the Mods can take care of that. Nothing but a "Neutral" here. You done your part so if he leaves you a Negative, that would be stupid!
Old 04-20-2018, 11:04 AM
Tech Adept

OK, I dealt with this by keeping the truck and giving neutral feedback with a long description of what happened. I HATE doing that but I felt that was fair. I waited several weeks before leaving feedback to simmer on the issue and to get some responses in this forum, but I think this closes the discussion.
SteveM and Andy Koback like this.