Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > For Sale/Trade Forums > Buyer/Seller dispute and discussion forum
First two purchases via RCTech went bad.... >

First two purchases via RCTech went bad....

First two purchases via RCTech went bad....

Old 01-28-2018, 02:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default First two purchases via RCTech went bad....

Hi Guys - I’m new to RCTech and the hobby. I learned about RCTech through a few friends and they told me that I could find a real good deal on items in the forums. I spent the first few days reading the “sticky’s” and decided to pull the trigger and purchase two RC’s...one off-road and one on-road.

The off-road rc I purchased was an AE B64 “new in box” from a member that goes by the name of erict. Long story short, after I had sent the money via PayPal he contacted me wanting to know if he could hand deliver instead of ship since he lives in the same city. I declined and asked him to ship. After that, I never received a response and still haven’t heard back. PayPal Claim in progress.

Timeline
Jan 13th - sent money via PayPal
Jan 16th - seller asked to hand deliver item. I declined and asked him to ship.
Jan 20th - PayPal claim opened
Jan 28th - Still waiting seller response

The on-road rc I purchased was an Xray T4 2017 from mickrcarver. He had a TC7.1 for sale so I contacted him and he told me he had sold it already and only had an Xray T4 2017 for sale. He said that the Xray was “just built and never ran” and came with a bunch of options. Below are the pictures he sent me via text.

I thought it was a great looking car so I decided to purchase. Well, these are pictures of what I received (Different, damaged, missing parts & definitely raced)

Am I over reacting? I felt like I was a victim of the classic bait and switch so I contacted him and he told me that he sent the same car from the pictures but he forgot to put the brand new carbon chassis in the package and if I wanted, I could return ship and he would issue a full refund and even pay the return shipping. I then asked for a full refund and he told me he couldn’t do it until Jan 22nd. Since he was pleasant to deal with I opted to wait. He was unresponsive until Jan 23rd which he then told me to either resell or file a claim with PayPal. I have already shipped the Xray back.

I just want the RCTech community to be aware what happened because I know NOT all its members act in this manner. It seems that I have had the worst of luck with my first two purchases via RCTech. Please don’t get me wrong as I am not discouraged, my second two (with k1ller rc & F>T>R) purchases have been very good.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Wow, that sucks! I would PM both sellers a link to this thread. It would be interesting to hear what they have to say.

Without hearing both sides, that Xray definitely looks like a bait and switch. Looks like another buyer had similar issues with that same seller recently.

As for the b64 purchase, that just sounds really strange. Obviously the seller had shipping factored into the price. Shouldn't matter if you live next door to him or on the other side of the country.

Be sure to leave appropriate feedback so that others are aware of this.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yea it sucks but I haven't let it get to me or scare me from getting into the hobby. If anything, I've learned from it and will continue to do business via RCTech. Its just sad, because if you think about it, this type of experience may sway other people from getting into the hobby.

harry697 - Good idea and thanks! Will do. I have documented communication with both sellers and would love to hear their feedback.

To any newcomers of the hobby or the site reading this - please do not let this thread discourage you in any way to purchase items from many of its stand up regulars. Learn from it and do your research.

Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
Wow, that sucks! I would PM both sellers a link to this thread. It would be interesting to hear what they have to say.

Without hearing both sides, that Xray definitely looks like a bait and switch. Looks like another buyer had similar issues with that same seller recently.

As for the b64 purchase, that just sounds really strange. Obviously the seller had shipping factored into the price. Shouldn't matter if you live next door to him or on the other side of the country.

Be sure to leave appropriate feedback so that others are aware of this.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 368 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dfloranza View Post
Hi Guys - I’m new to RCTech and the hobby. I learned about RCTech through a few friends and they told me that I could find a real good deal on items in the forums. I spent the first few days reading the “sticky’s” and decided to pull the trigger and purchase two RC’s...one off-road and one on-road.

The off-road rc I purchased was an AE B64 “new in box” from a member that goes by the name of erict. Long story short, after I had sent the money via PayPal he contacted me wanting to know if he could hand deliver instead of ship since he lives in the same city. I declined and asked him to ship. After that, I never received a response and still haven’t heard back. PayPal Claim in progress.

Timeline

The on-road rc I purchased was an Xray T4 2017 from mickrcarver. He had a TC7.1 for sale so I contacted him and he told me he had sold it already and only had an Xray T4 2017 for sale. He said that the Xray was “just built and never ran” and came with a bunch of options. Below are the pictures he sent me via text.

I thought it was a great looking car so I decided to purchase. Well, these are pictures of what I received (Different, damaged, missing parts & definitely raced)

Am I over reacting? I felt like I was a victim of the classic bait and switch so I contacted him and he told me that he sent the same car from the pictures but he forgot to put the brand new carbon chassis in the package and if I wanted, I could return ship and he would issue a full refund and even pay the return shipping. I then asked for a full refund and he told me he couldn’t do it until Jan 22nd. Since he was pleasant to deal with I opted to wait. He was unresponsive until Jan 23rd which he then told me to either resell or file a claim with PayPal. I have already shipped the Xray back.

I just want the RCTech community to be aware what happened because I know NOT all its members act in this manner. It seems that I have had the worst of luck with my first two purchases via RCTech. Please don’t get me wrong as I am not discouraged, my second two (with k1ller rc & F>T>R) purchases have been very good.
What kind of trader feedback did these guys have ? The one that wanted to hand deliver isn't really a red flag since I have picked up and hand delivered to people in my area and made payment on the spot but that's if both parties agree. Then we gave each other feedback here on tech.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:49 AM
Tech Champion

I make it a point to not deal with people who don't have 100% feedback. Or if we trade that's fine if other guy has no or negative feedback but he ships first and when I get his I ship mine out
Old 01-28-2018, 05:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Absolutely agree by not really being a red flag but since this was one of my first two transactions as well as dealing with someone on the site I had opted for delivery rather than it being hand delivered. Now if I had more transactions and dealt with more people then maybe I would feel comfortable with the hand delivery. But as you said both parties would have to agree. It’s just funny that I haven’t heard back from the seller since I’ve tried to make contact on Jan 16th.

Erict has a 100% trader feedback and mickrcarver HAD 99% at the time of the transaction.

Originally Posted by peter george View Post
What kind of trader feedback did these guys have ? The one that wanted to hand deliver isn't really a red flag since I have picked up and hand delivered to people in my area and made payment on the spot but that's if both parties agree. Then we gave each other feedback here on tech.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Doesn't sound like you've done anything wrong, and you've certainly covered your bases documenting the XRay deal. And it's your perogative to not want to meet the B64 seller in person. I don't deal on craigslist because meeting strangers makes me uncomfortable.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:31 AM
Tech Champion

Either way it sucks you are in this situation , hope everything works out in your favor
Old 01-29-2018, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dfloranza View Post

Timeline

The on-road rc I purchased was an Xray T4 2017 from mickrcarver. He had a TC7.1 for sale so I contacted him and he told me he had sold it already and only had an Xray T4 2017 for sale. He said that the Xray was “just built and never ran” and came with a bunch of options.

I hope the you either got your refund or PayPal told you to return the item and THEY refunded your money...BEFORE you sent the car back.

Red flag for ME when looking at sellers, even those with great ratings. When they have active, and positive, feedback ratings but then have NO activity or years. IMO, all that past positive rating is to be taken with a grain of salt as they say. IMO, you're sort of dealing with a new member. You have no idea why they haven't been selling...I've simply seen to many members like this turn out to be bad.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
I hope the you either got your refund or PayPal told you to return the item and THEY refunded your money...BEFORE you sent the car back.
This is getting good....I hope paypal told you to ship it back as well....if not there is another headache coming.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yep - a friend of mine got shot when a craigslist deal went wrong.....luckily he survived......

Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
Doesn't sound like you've done anything wrong, and you've certainly covered your bases documenting the XRay deal. And it's your perogative to not want to meet the B64 seller in person. I don't deal on craigslist because meeting strangers makes me uncomfortable.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

PayPal refunded my money from the Xray deal. Now to search for another Xray T4. Ugh....had to pass on so many good deals since my money was tied up.....

Now just “waiting on seller response” to get my money back for the undelivered B64....

I’ve sent the link to this thread to both erict and mickrcarver. I would love to hear what they have to say......

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post

Red flag for ME when looking at sellers, even those with great ratings. When they have active, and positive, feedback ratings but then have NO activity or years. IMO, all that past positive rating is to be taken with a grain of salt as they say. IMO, you're sort of dealing with a new member. You have no idea why they haven't been selling...I've simply seen to many members like this turn out to be bad.
Good Point! This is definitely noted...

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
This is getting good....I hope paypal told you to ship it back as well....if not there is another headache coming.
Yep - Provided paypal with the tracking number but I also paid extra for a required signature. With all I know, he might say “ I never received it”
Old 02-02-2018, 05:03 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

lol at the red power wire on the xray. I'm way to anal about my wiring to let crap like that stay on my car.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Well for that X-ray, the pictures he sent were a car with the flex chassis, you received a solid chassis car... I’ve definitely seen those pictures posted elsewhere, probably the seller trying to hustle.

I always try to make sure to deal through RCTech PMs, no outside email or text, especially initially. These days it isn’t hard to send pictures through a PM or post them in a thread. If a seller can’t be bothered to post pics or send them through a PM on here I will pass. Sometimes you can deal through text or email, but always start on here with a PM.

Hope everything will work out, and glad to see you sticking through it. You’ll learn to identify good deals and good members to deal with. Hope it works out for you.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yep, I got my money back and I’m still looking for a well cared for Xray T4. I’ve definitely changed my ways of purchasing online and am more cautious now. I will no longer deal with people that cannot post pictures of what they are selling and require a phone number or email to send pictures. IMHO - if you can send pictures via text or email you can surely post them on RCTech. It just takes some effort to read the sticky thread on how to post pics. If your having troubles posting pics you can always ask for help. Sorry to sidetrack a little.....but thanks, everything is working out well but just not as fast as I would like. I’ve got a charger, batteries and a Sanwa Rx/Tx.......but no RC....LoL watching all these RC videos on youtube is making me antsy. I guess it’s for the better because I’m learning a lot! (Personally , I’m learn better “hands on”)

Originally Posted by mschumi101 View Post
Well for that X-ray, the pictures he sent were a car with the flex chassis, you received a solid chassis car... I’ve definitely seen those pictures posted elsewhere, probably the seller trying to hustle.

I always try to make sure to deal through RCTech PMs, no outside email or text, especially initially. These days it isn’t hard to send pictures through a PM or post them in a thread. If a seller can’t be bothered to post pics or send them through a PM on here I will pass. Sometimes you can deal through text or email, but always start on here with a PM.

Hope everything will work out, and glad to see you sticking through it. You’ll learn to identify good deals and good members to deal with. Hope it works out for you.