Like Tree10Likes

Whats with the fear of Canadians?

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 07:52 PM
  #1  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 61
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Whats with the fear of Canadians?

PMed a seller about an item for sale asking if they would ship to Canada, no response.

Next day, the seller bumps the post so obviously the item is still available - I post YGPM in the thread, no response.

One day later, I search for the thread and its deleted! Funny thing is none of the sellers other for sale threads posted at the same time were deleted. A lot of effort to avoid saying no thanks.

Not the first time this has happened. I also had a similar situation with a highly respected member of this board who did not reply to my pm. In both cases, I offered full asking price!

Why am I so scary?
rcja is offline  
Old 12-20-2017, 11:50 PM
  #2  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (68)
 
ThePanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,170
Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Default

Some sellers just won't mess about with international shipping.
I recently had someone international offer to buy something. I usually include continental shipping on my items but I told them they would have to pay the difference, and no response. Not really a problem just an annoyance.
ThePanda is offline  
Old 12-21-2017, 04:56 AM
  #3  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 61
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I've always paid the difference for shipping. Just find it very rude when my posts and PMs are ignored. How hard is it to say no thanks? Neither ad stated that the seller was not interested in shipping outside US - if they had, I would not have contacted the seller in the first place.
rcja is offline  
Old 12-21-2017, 05:11 AM
  #4  
Moderator
iTrader: (126)
 
Packfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Green Bay
Posts: 3,622
Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rcja View Post
PMed a seller about an item for sale asking if they would ship to Canada, no response.

Next day, the seller bumps the post so obviously the item is still available - I post YGPM in the thread, no response.

One day later, I search for the thread and its deleted! Funny thing is none of the sellers other for sale threads posted at the same time were deleted. A lot of effort to avoid saying no thanks.

Not the first time this has happened. I also had a similar situation with a highly respected member of this board who did not reply to my pm. In both cases, I offered full asking price!

Why am I so scary?
The seller cannot delete the thread on their own unless they are a Mod. There must have been a rules violation and that is why the thread was deleted. If your curious of what happened to the thread, PM me the info and I will check into that portion of it.
Packfan is offline  
Old 12-21-2017, 05:36 AM
  #5  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (152)
 
SteveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 7,049
Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default

Living in Canada and buying from US sellers can be trying at times and like you I have experienced the same aversion to shipping anything outside of the US. I find it best to send a seller a short PM message to first ask if they'd be willing to ship to me in Canada. If not then just move on and look elsewhere. This way the seller's thread isn't cluttered with posts and everyone wins. Patience wins out in the end.
racer1812 and DRTMI like this.
SteveM is offline  
Old 12-21-2017, 07:03 AM
  #6  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (368)
 
peter george's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: queens ny
Posts: 9,475
Trader Rating: 368 (100%+)
Default

If buyer is willing to pay extra for international shipping I have no issues dealing with Canadians. I've shipped as far as Australia with no issues , just takes longer for transaction to be completed. Not responding to pm's is rude.
peter george is offline  
Old 12-21-2017, 11:20 AM
  #7  
Tech Legend
iTrader: (259)
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 31,922
Trader Rating: 259 (100%+)
Default

in general I look at feedback when dealing with international shipping. as I am pretty close to canada in general if your feedback is high enough, I'll give it a go but you cover the additional shipping charge, and it goes some insured method.

As for people responding or not responding, that happens regardless where you are at. Its common if someone loses interest in an item for whatever reason they just stop responding. Had that even happen with a guy in my town and his response when I asked him about it was that was his response.

It is what it is.
Cain is offline  
Old 12-21-2017, 04:50 PM
  #8  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 61
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Packfan: I don't want to make a big deal about it so no need to look into it.

I'll just have to adjust my expectations.

Thanks all.
rcja is offline  
Old 12-21-2017, 05:03 PM
  #9  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,222
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Some people, like myself, simply don't want to be bothered by even the minimal extra effort it takes to ship to Canada. For me, I don't have an issue finding a US buyer so why deal with shipping to Canada. I feel sorry for you guys but I'll be honest, part of it comes down to US sellers being lazy too..
Marcos.J likes this.
racer1812 is offline  
Old 12-21-2017, 06:10 PM
  #10  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 61
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
Some people, like myself, simply don't want to be bothered by even the minimal extra effort it takes to ship to Canada. For me, I don't have an issue finding a US buyer so why deal with shipping to Canada. I feel sorry for you guys but I'll be honest, part of it comes down to US sellers being lazy too..
If you state US only in your ad, I have no issue. If you don't, you should expect international buyers - would it be too much effort to respond to a potential buyer saying you're not interested?
rcja is offline  
Old 12-21-2017, 06:17 PM
  #11  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,222
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rcja View Post
If you state US only in your ad, I have no issue. If you don't, you should expect international buyers - would it be too much effort to respond to a potential buyer saying you're not interested?
You are 100% correct! All MY ads say continental US only along with PP only. I don't ship to AK or HI either, only because I include shipping in my asking price and those locations raise the price..Even after all that, I reply to any PM's I get. Except those asking half my asking price. My reply to those would violate the rules
Cain likes this.
racer1812 is offline  
Old 12-22-2017, 05:05 AM
  #12  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (96)
 
whitrzac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: WI
Posts: 5,808
Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
You are 100% correct! All MY ads say continental US only along with PP only. I don't ship to AK or HI either, only because I include shipping in my asking price and those locations raise the price..Even after all that, I reply to any PM's I get. Except those asking half my asking price. My reply to those would violate the rules
Why not?

A flat rate priority box cost the same to ship there as anywhere else.
whitrzac is offline  
Old 12-22-2017, 08:28 AM
  #13  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (208)
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 30,360
Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)
Default

i never had any issues sending stuff to canada i actually have bought and sold with SteveM and never encountered any problems and is not that much more in cost.
SteveM likes this.
Marcos.J is offline  
Old 12-22-2017, 08:45 AM
  #14  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (14)
 
HaulinBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: grande prairie alberta canada
Posts: 2,636
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

I have a reship address in portland OR for things I really need but people/stores wont ship to me, or when UPS is the only option for shipping to canada(huge import fees/duty).
HaulinBass is offline  
Old 12-24-2017, 10:04 AM
  #15  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (66)
 
Darkgenerals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Granbury Tx
Posts: 1,545
Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default

Canadians eat poutine and play hockey. Plus they all live in trailer parks and smoke dope all day.

Look how your average Canadian looks, and you can see why doing business with them is sketchy.


Darkgenerals is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service