Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
1/10th Off-road. Dirt, Carpet, or Astro? >

1/10th Off-road. Dirt, Carpet, or Astro?

1/10th Off-road. Dirt, Carpet, or Astro?

Old 04-29-2016, 03:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I'm waiting for the AE B7 before I commit to Astro.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

http://www.liverc.com/news/special_f...reat_again?%2F
Old 05-18-2016, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Thumbs up

was a good article to read (thumbs up!)
Old 05-18-2016, 10:35 PM
Tech Addict

But pics are better on dirt

I like to race my vacuum on carpet
I have a offroad vacuum cleaner
( in next article it will be below)
When the future comes offroad will be on flat contrete because that is what people want so we will call it offroad

Race wherever you want and all have fun.......I just have a problem with it
called offroad
You should see my F1 monster beetle
But I really really love my offroad yacht the most!!!

Last edited by fastatfrog; 05-19-2016 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Definitely prefer dirt over carpet.

Buggy needs to be able to slide (controlled) a little.
No sliding at all on carpet, but plenty of traction rolls.

Haven't raced on Astro.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Default indoor rc track

Hey guys, has anybody heard any news on details of where and when the indoor carpet track will open this winter in Melbourne?
Old 05-20-2016, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by djpop
Hey guys, has anybody heard any news on details of where and when the indoor carpet track will open this winter in Melbourne?
as far as im aware there are no plans, unless it being keeps super secret
Old 05-21-2016, 01:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by I)arkness
as far as im aware there are no plans, unless it being keeps super secret
It's going to open near Disneyland 😆
Old 05-23-2016, 06:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Don't give up!
There is a local Nitro facility that has a massive parcel of council land that is gated. If you have a passionate/devoted group that really wants to build an astro/carpet track, approach that club (and then Council) to see whether you can negotiate using some of their land to build an astro/carpet track.
There are plenty of companies that demolish tennis courts or renew astro on sporting facilities. Perhaps you could word them up to get their second hand astro? It would take a bit of cooperation and negotiation, but it could certainly be a possibility. I'd help on a working bee.

Last edited by 1mmune; 05-23-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I race on all the surfaces. I run on dirt for club series events NSW and Vintage meets; and RC Arena (carpet with wall ride and jumps) on Friday nights. My personal thought is there is room for it all types of track surfaces in the world of buggy racing. The versatility of buggies is open to it so why not take advantage?

Each type of track and surface produces its own challenges and helps you master your skills at both driving and setting up your car.

I started racing offroad in the early 1990's at Kempsey (NSW) on an indoor roller skating ring with wooden jumps. We raced Tuesday nights and was great fun.

The Southern Highlands Club is going to start on cut short and rolled grass, because its the cheapest option we have in moving forward (its there). As we grow and raise funds we'll develop the track. As our weather is very 'European', our track is likely to be multi surface to ensure we get to run regularly, rather than being 'regularly washed out'.

See you round the tracks, carpet or dirt!
Old 06-27-2016, 11:13 PM
Tech Rookie

As a new member of the Keilor club here in Melbourne, I have to say that it is very frustrating travelling for 30+ minutes each way to get a few practice packs in, only to find the clay surface absolutely drowned in water or a mud pit due to rain that happened days before.

I'm not sure of the specific qualities of clay in terms of water retention, but of the last 5 times I've gone there on a rare sunny day, the track has still had standing water sitting on it. I realise saw dust can be used to dry it out for club days, but for someone like me who is still trying to improve their skill and who works most Sundays, it has proven very difficult to get much use out of my membership.

Additionally, on cold mornings with frost, the moisture causes the track to be low on traction, even with a fairly aggressive tyre such as JConcept's 3Ds. Once the track is dry and has formed a groove it is awesome, but this seems very dependent on warmer weather and a lack of rain, both of which Melbourne lacks for the majority of the year.

My last gripe with clay (last one!) is the maintenance aspect. I love working on my cars, but I hate the constant need to scrub tyres between qualifiers and globs of clay sticking to everything it can. I can't imagine anyone finds that part enjoyable.

In summary, carpet or astro all the way!

Last edited by accucel; 06-27-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by accucel
As a new member of the Keilor club here in Melbourne, I have to say that it is very frustrating travelling for 30+ minutes each way to get a few practice packs in, only to find the clay surface absolutely drowned in water or a mud pit due to rain that happened days before.

I'm not sure of the specific qualities of clay in terms of water retention, but of the last 5 times I've gone there on a rare sunny day, the track has still had standing water sitting on it. I realise saw dust can be used to dry it out for club days, but for someone like me who is still trying to improve their skill and who works most Sundays, it has proven very difficult to get much use out of my membership.

Additionally, on cold mornings with frost, the moisture causes the track to be low on traction, even with a fairly aggressive tyre such as JConcept's 3Ds. Once the track is dry and has formed a groove it is awesome, but this seems very dependent on warmer weather and a lack of rain, both of which Melbourne lacks for the majority of the year.

My last gripe with clay (last one!) is the maintenance aspect. I love working on my cars, but I hate the constant need to scrub tyres between qualifiers and globs of clay sticking to everything it can. I can't imagine anyone finds that part enjoyable.

In summary, carpet or astro all the way!
Probably a little harsh. It's been a pretty wet winter so far and even Knox which drains well has been soaked. Can't help the weather and not really much a club can do.

3D's really aren't a low traction tyre either which won't help.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by kiwiazbro
Can't help the weather and not really much a club can do.
Well that's the topic of discussion here: would moving to an astro or carpet surface offer more year-round usability than a clay or dirt track.