Like Tree5Likes

KNOX Offroad Vic

Reply

Old 07-23-2017, 05:04 PM
  #15661  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (3)
 
asalas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 176
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Volition View Post
Setup looks good to me. First thing is check the shocks haven't leaked or anything like that. With your current shock setup you should be ok. make sure your ride height is say around 20-21mm. Check your shock shaft lengths are standard. Let us know if any of that helps, nothing obvious from your setup.
I have just rebuilt my YZ4 and gone up to 350 (from 300 cst) on the rear shocks. I have measured shock shafts and everything else. Now I need to find the time to get down to the track.

Have you heard of the 175RC Polypro Hybrid 48P Pinion Gears? Amain sells them and thought they would be a good option part.

thanks for the help.
asalas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:25 AM
  #15662  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2
Default

Hi all

My son has a B5m that we would like to run in junior on 17.5 stock and was wondering if anyone would be able to help out with a suitable setup for him?

ie which tyres for front and rear would be best to practice and race with?
which shock settings, oil weights etc

Currently I am unsure of the exact setup and will need to check this as I bought the car second hand.

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
Darren
Smarty90 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:39 AM
  #15663  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (37)
 
lookieaefanboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rc Heaven
Posts: 3,170
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Something like this would be a good starting point
Team Associated B5M - Ray Munday - Victorian Titles - Knox - 29.11.2014

Alternative tyres could be proline positron m4 compound front and rear.
lookieaefanboi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:28 AM
  #15664  
Tech Regular
 
Volition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 391
Default

Originally Posted by asalas View Post

Have you heard of the 175RC Polypro Hybrid 48P Pinion Gears? Amain sells them and thought they would be a good option part.

thanks for the help.
I have a 32tooth polypro pinion in my 2wd & 4wd. The idea is less weight (rotational reduction is good) and less drag (they are thin therefore less frictional drag). They are fine, but personally if they break I won't replace them. My alloy pinions weigh 2g these are 0.8g. so not a huge loss of weight. They are slightly quieter. My lap times have not improved or gotten worse.

If you want them go for it. But money can be spent on more important things. Like tyres. In stock the are 3 important things. One. Make sure you have a good motor. Doesn't have to be the certified things but must be good. however, with the control motor coming in that makes it simpler I suppose and not at the same time. Don't want to get a dud, etc. 2. Make sure your car is well kept, especially the whole drivetrain. It needs to be as smooth as you can get it. 3. tyres, tyres & tyres. Without the right tyres you are not in it.

As an extra, some models need drivetrain lightening as they are more geared towards mod. Look for upgrades that save the most rotational mass. Slipper eliminators, etc.

Cut gears, polypro pinions and ceramic bearings are not big improvers as far as rotational mass goes.

Titanium screws, turnbuckles etc are not big improver either. a lot of the modern kits are pretty light out of the box.

Good luck and have fun. Hopefully I see you at the track.
Volition is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:54 AM
  #15665  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (3)
 
asalas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 176
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Volition View Post
I have a 32tooth polypro pinion in my 2wd & 4wd. The idea is less weight (rotational reduction is good) and less drag (they are thin therefore less frictional drag). They are fine, but personally if they break I won't replace them. My alloy pinions weigh 2g these are 0.8g. so not a huge loss of weight. They are slightly quieter. My lap times have not improved or gotten worse.

If you want them go for it. But money can be spent on more important things. Like tyres. In stock the are 3 important things. One. Make sure you have a good motor. Doesn't have to be the certified things but must be good. however, with the control motor coming in that makes it simpler I suppose and not at the same time. Don't want to get a dud, etc. 2. Make sure your car is well kept, especially the whole drivetrain. It needs to be as smooth as you can get it. 3. tyres, tyres & tyres. Without the right tyres you are not in it.

As an extra, some models need drivetrain lightening as they are more geared towards mod. Look for upgrades that save the most rotational mass. Slipper eliminators, etc.

Cut gears, polypro pinions and ceramic bearings are not big improvers as far as rotational mass goes.

Titanium screws, turnbuckles etc are not big improver either. a lot of the modern kits are pretty light out of the box.

Good luck and have fun. Hopefully I see you at the track.
Hi there,

I got the 33 tooth polypro pinion gears and a set of supersoft electrons. And a second hand Yok DTM! What pintype tires do you use when practicing with carpets on?

What is the control motor you talk about? Who sells them? I have a couple of hobbyking ones and wouldn't complain but maybe because i haven't experinced anything better. What motor would you recommend? I wouldn't buy a Chinese unbranded knock off or a super expensive one like an orion, etc. What is the cheapest decent one?

Hopefully I'll come to a club meeting in the next month. I don't normally do it as I'm an embarrassing moving road block, plus I haven't figured out a wife-convincing strategy yet.

Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge.
asalas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:19 PM
  #15666  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
kiwiazbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 265
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by asalas View Post
Hi there,

I got the 33 tooth polypro pinion gears and a set of supersoft electrons. And a second hand Yok DTM! What pintype tires do you use when practicing with carpets on?

What is the control motor you talk about? Who sells them? I have a couple of hobbyking ones and wouldn't complain but maybe because i haven't experinced anything better. What motor would you recommend? I wouldn't buy a Chinese unbranded knock off or a super expensive one like an orion, etc. What is the cheapest decent one?

Hopefully I'll come to a club meeting in the next month. I don't normally do it as I'm an embarrassing moving road block, plus I haven't figured out a wife-convincing strategy yet.

Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Can't be slower than me in stock asalas. I'm about 3-4 secs a lap slower than the next slowest person. Still love it though.
kiwiazbro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:38 AM
  #15667  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (3)
 
asalas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 176
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by kiwiazbro View Post
Can't be slower than me in stock asalas. I'm about 3-4 secs a lap slower than the next slowest person. Still love it though.
Haha, thanks, I think I could probably beat you at being slow, kiwiazbro.

I will definitely try coming to a club meeting soon. Not very soon though, as I'm recovering from a surgery.

Is it worth buying the approved Muchmore motors? I mean for somebody casually coming to the club meetings and running stock. I definitely couldn't qualify for any real competition.

Thanks for the responses/comments Volition and kiwiazbro.
asalas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:03 PM
  #15668  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
kiwiazbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 265
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Is there a club day this weekend?
kiwiazbro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:31 PM
  #15669  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (37)
 
lookieaefanboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rc Heaven
Posts: 3,170
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

I would doubt it as most ppl are at the vics in wodonga.
lookieaefanboi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:09 AM
  #15670  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
kiwiazbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 265
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Yeah I thought that might be the case. Hopefully the timing loop is running. That would be cool.
kiwiazbro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:20 AM
  #15671  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
kiwiazbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 265
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Has the club ever had racing at night in the summer when the light is good?
kiwiazbro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:49 AM
  #15672  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 3
Default

Hey guys, I used to race a bunch a few years back (at keilor though), and I am looking to get back into the sport.

However I am currently 17, and while I would love to buy my own car, I can't at the moment due to being broke. I would like to see if I still enjoy the sport before I go and spend close to $800 on rc stuff. By any chance would anyone have a spare car (any class, I dont care how old or how slow) that I could borrow/rent for the club day on sunday (i think there is one on sunday)? I still have a receiver and transmitter if I need one.

Thanks
jangaseven is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:55 AM
  #15673  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (6)
 
B.D.R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 113
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

I remember a fair while ago, there was talk of control motors for 21.5, has that come in?

Getting the boy a 2wd buggy for his birthday, and i better get myself one too

So i assume he will be in the kids class, being only 8?
B.D.R is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:57 PM
  #15674  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 4
Default

Hi All,

Can somebody please explain to me about the 17.5 control motor? Is this what is used for all events at Knox or is it just the larger AARCMCC sanctioned events. During the club days can any 17.5 motor be used.
I got hold of a Fleta ZX 17.5T Brushless motor Type-W Fixed Timing Version Part Number: M-AARCMCC175WF and compared to my trinity monster it isnt very fast. Admittedly I haven't played around with the gearing much yet. I'm just wondering if I should just run the control motors in my cars or if they wont be competitive at club events.
Pugo205 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:44 PM
  #15675  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (37)
 
lookieaefanboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rc Heaven
Posts: 3,170
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

You are not required to run the control motor except at aarcmcc sanctioned events. Most people do not run it on club days.
DanOK likes this.
lookieaefanboi is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service