Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
Sydney Modified Touring Racers >

Sydney Modified Touring Racers

Sydney Modified Touring Racers

Old 06-15-2014, 03:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default Sydney Modified Touring Racers

Mod numbers aren't massive in Sydney so I thought I'd start a thread where we can chat to each other and to organise attending clubbies. I figure if we get organised and plan a meet each month (or fortnight) to attend then it will be better than just a few of us racing at the many club meets that occur each week.

There are some great options for mod racing around both big and small, and there's also potential to visit places like moorebank or the nats track at ACT from time-to-time, and we also have an event at CH in August to look forward to... and to practice for.

With that in mind, next Sunday the 22nd of June I'll be heading to Whalan to race at the GWSRCC club day. Whalan is an amazing modified track with a relatively open layout, proper asphalt surface, 4m lanes, concrete curbing, and the full track has a 62 meter straight - which means top speeds of 100km/h+!! It would be good if we could all run the same tyre which should be muchmore rush as it's a great tyre and is the control tyre for most events this year, it also runs true and holds up well to high speeds!

Hopefully we'll see some numbers out there, would be really good to turn a wheel with a full heat (or more) of modified. In the meantime feel free to talk about mod touring cars, or for anyone thinking of stepping up to mod please go ahead and ask any questions you might have so we can help you get started

...Craig

Last edited by CraigM; 06-17-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:39 AM
Tech Champion

I thought it would be good to post some tips since mod can be quite challenging on our lower grip tracks. In no particular order, these are my thoughts/opinions - feel free to discuss/add to this...

1. Start soft - don't put a 4.5 in to begin with. A lower wind will help acclimatise to the power, and when you get used to it you can turn up the turbo and boost. On tracks with less than ~40m straight a 4.5t would be no faster than a 7.5t for most drives

2. Short charge - I set my peak to 8.3v usually. The punch they have at the beginning of the run is bad news in low grip

3. Run turbo, not boost - unless the grip is high then I don't think boost is needed. When I have tried back-to-back I have rarely gone faster on local tracks with boost, so I just use turbo for the straight and let the motor do it's thing in the infield.

For those running HW, these are the settings I use at SMA (30m straight) - other brands should be able to set up similarly. For larger tracks I just turn up the turbo and gear to suit the straight.

FDR: 8.0
Can timing: 28deg
Punch: 10/10
Brakes: 75%
Drag: 14%
Boost: 0
Turbo: 24
Delay: 0.15
Slope: 24/18

If people have settings for other brands please post them, I'm sure if we help each other we'll all get better as a result

...Craig
Old 06-15-2014, 05:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Pending Wifey approval, I plan to be there next Sunday
Old 06-15-2014, 05:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am with you on that one Dave. Pending CFO approval for a mod day at Whalan.

I have only recently started moving up towards the front in Stock and do have ambitions of moving to mod at some stage. So I think this is a good thread to get started Craig.
You have put some great info on motor/speedy set up which are great for new comers to mod.

Do you or any other Mod guys have any tips for radio and chassis changes from stock to mod?
EG: thicker rear diff oil to control unloading under power.
Do you use your radio's ABS or does your finger have it in built?
Old 06-15-2014, 08:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
I thought it would be good to post some tips since mod can be quite challenging on our lower grip tracks. In no particular order, these are my thoughts/opinions - feel free to discuss/add to this...

1. Start soft - don't put a 4.5 in to begin with. A lower wind will help acclimatise to the power, and when you get used to it you can turn up the turbo and boost. On tracks with less than ~40m straight a 4.5t would be no faster than a 7.5t for most drives

2. Short charge - I set my peak to 8.3v usually. The punch they have at the beginning of the run is bad news in low grip

3. Run turbo, not boost - unless the grip is high then I don't think boost is needed. When I have tried back-to-back I have rarely gone faster on local tracks with boost, so I just use turbo for the straight and let the motor do it's thing in the infield.

For those running HW, these are the settings I use at SMA (30m straight) - other brands should be able to set up similarly. For larger tracks I just turn up the turbo and gear to suit the straight.

FDR: 8.0
Can timing: 28deg
Punch: 10/10
Brakes: 75%
Drag: 14%
Boost: 0
Turbo: 24
Delay: 0.15
Slope: 24/18

If people have settings for other brands please post them, I'm sure if we help each other we'll all get better as a result

...Craig
great idea and thread craig.

I know a few guys (including myself) from rivo are keen to give mod a go. is there a particular motor you recommend? wouldnt mind coming to sma on a tuesday night for a run
Old 06-15-2014, 09:12 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Dray01 View Post
I am with you on that one Dave. Pending CFO approval for a mod day at Whalan.

I have only recently started moving up towards the front in Stock and do have ambitions of moving to mod at some stage. So I think this is a good thread to get started Craig.
You have put some great info on motor/speedy set up which are great for new comers to mod.

Do you or any other Mod guys have any tips for radio and chassis changes from stock to mod?
EG: thicker rear diff oil to control unloading under power.
Do you use your radio's ABS or does your finger have it in built?
At first I tried negative expo on my trigger but I think I should have just ran a softer wind to begin with - I started with 5.0. I don't run ABS or anything like that, but I do set my brakes up fairly mild, 75% on the speedo and 70-80% EPA. Mod motors and short gearing have heaps of brake power so it's very easy to lock up.

Harder diff oils can help if your car does diffs out on power but that shouldn't happen with 1-2k+, I usually start with 3k but it depends on car and brand of oil. I know the xray guys like lighter, while other guys swear by 5k or more

Originally Posted by Supa_18's View Post
great idea and thread craig.

I know a few guys (including myself) from rivo are keen to give mod a go. is there a particular motor you recommend? wouldnt mind coming to sma on a tuesday night for a run
You can't go wrong with any of the common brands, and I've found in mod it can be beneficial to match ESC and motor brand, occasionally some motors and ESCs don't play well together. If I was starting out I'd go for a 7.5 or 6.5, but even a 10.5 won't give away much to a 4.5 on a track SMA/IMCC size with the right settings
Old 06-15-2014, 10:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Awesome tips Craig I haven't ran turbo on my mod setup with a 4.5 n I like the consistency. Might see u out there at whalan
Old 06-17-2014, 06:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi all hope to see as many as possible at the track on this Sunday as we do have our regular classes running but would dearly love to see the track get used for mod as a full class for a change as the competition will be great for a mod class given the size of the track. Again hope to see as many as possible on Sunday.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:29 PM
Tech Champion

Good to see a full field of mod at SMA last night and a lot of new faces giving the lower winds a go, it sounds like they had fun! Hope to see you guys Sunday

Practice starts at 8:30 with racing from around 10

For next month I've heard SMA might be running an extra Sunday meeting so we might try and head there for a race. Next month is also AOC in Victoria, hopefully Sydney will be well represented in mod there
Old 06-17-2014, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It would be good to see Mod grow the main thing is as you have offered Craig is the help in setting up off ESC and also advice on car setup because off the speed difference when you get to Mod. But the most important thing is patience with a person coming through especially when they show the driving etiquette to allow faster people to pass as they learn how to handle the speed.

Noel
Old 06-17-2014, 06:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Mod numbers aren't massive in Sydney so I thought I'd start a thread where we can chat to each other and to organise attending clubbies. I figure if we get organised and plan a meet each month (or fortnight) to attend then it will be better than just a few of us racing at the many club meets that occur next week.

There are some great options for mod racing around both big and small, and there's also potential to visit places like moorebank or the nats track at ACT from time-to-time, and we also have an event at CH in August to look forward to... and to practice for.

With that in mind, next Sunday the 22nd of June I'll be heading to Whalan to race at the GWSRCC club day. Whalan is an amazing modified track with a relatively open layout, proper asphalt surface, 4m lanes, concrete curbing, and the full track has a 62 meter straight - which means top speeds of 100km/h+!! It would be good if we could all run the same tyre which should be muchmore rush as it's a great tyre and is the control tyre for most events this year, it also runs true and holds up well to high speeds!

Hopefully we'll see some numbers out there, would be really good to turn a wheel with a full heat (or more) of modified. In the meantime feel free to talk about mod touring cars, or for anyone thinking of stepping up to mod please go ahead and ask any questions you might have so we can help you get started

...Craig
Well done Craig, very inspiring and I hope it all goes well, sport certainly needs more folk like yourself...
Old 06-17-2014, 08:37 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks for the kind words Jim and Noel. I had a lot of help from the established mod guys when I started out so I'm just doing the same, and really just trying to generate some interest in modified racing again.

It's good for the all of the touring classes to have a healthy premier class so hopefully we can build some momentum
Old 06-17-2014, 10:08 PM
Tech Champion

7-8 Mods on track at SMA last night, its was actually good fun, several stock guys were giving it a go.

Winter Series – Sunday Racing @ SMA

This may assist with the mod racing: Starting in July SMA will be running regular Sunday meetings. These meetings will occur on the 1st and 3rd Sundays each month during Winter, popularity will determine schedule in Spring.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

+1 Paul, SMA last night was great fun with a mod in!
Congrats to our local stock gun Dave for taking the win in mod!
Old 06-17-2014, 11:33 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Dray01 View Post
+1 Paul, SMA last night was great fun with a mod in!
Congrats to our local stock gun Dave for taking the win in mod!
Former stock gun...now mod gun!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.