Like Tree4Likes

Airbrushing and Art

Old 08-14-2005, 09:50 PM
Tech Adept

Default Airbrushing and Art

Continued from the for sale thread where a dialogue was begun regarding selling and doing art
We were also entertaining the concept of cheap airbrushes vs name brands and the merits of selling your work to continue to develop your skills.
Any Airbrush related comments can probably go here from now on.
Is this cool?
Smooth Roads
Old 08-14-2005, 09:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

So do we get to see some of your work Hologram?
Old 08-14-2005, 10:03 PM
Tech Adept

Sadly No.
I don't do much fancy Airbrush for RC.
I have been a desgner for 30yrs and now I do other things
I'll post the preceding dialogue for people to see where this thread came from...

Novarossi...
Nah mate. Doing an airbrush course, so airbrushing anything I can get my hands on for practise.

Considering each body sells for like $40-$50, You honestly think a grand net profit of like $10 each body (for like 3-4 hours of labour) is going to make me rich lol
Nah mate. Doing an airbrush course, so airbrushing anything I can get my hands on for practise.

Considering each body sells for like $40-$50, You honestly think a grand net profit of like $10 each body (for like 3-4 hours of labour) is going to make me rich lol

Hologram
I've been airbrushing for 25 years and I have never, and will never, do it for the money.
How can you do art if someone else is telling what they want?
Where are you doing the course?
Check this ebay vendor I have a few of his (I really like the 127)
http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQsassZroy7463QQhtZ-1

Art for Art's sake, money for god's sake!
Hologram

Novarossi...
Your one confused kid

How am I making money?

$40 for a painted Protoform body? Whats a clear Protoform body worth? How much paint is used? I practise airbrushing on something I enjoy (RC) and I sell them at little (if no) profit. I find practising on something that gets either thrown away, or buried in the attic for years a waste of art don't you?

Oh, and by the way, these are all by own jobs. No one is telling me what they want????

And I don't quiet understand your Ebay line? You have been airbrushing for 25 years and your recommending a Tawianese $58 brush off ebay?

The course is in Michinbury, NSW. With 25 years experience, you should be able to work out who are holding the course.

Hologram
I think you grossly misinterpreted my comment.
I give most of my stuff away as well.
My comment was in support of doing anything you can, my philosophy is if you do it for yourself you can do what you like and if someone else digs it then that's a bonus. Selling your work is inevitable if you are going to keep paying for materials and equipment. I started doing skateboards and surfboards, some people come back to me after years saying that they still have one of my peices, that is a real blast.
Keep painting it is such a cool thing to see your stuff on the track.
About the cheap taiwanese. I have a Pasche B as well as some well respected names and for the majority of work I'll use the cheapies. If they are so cheap you don't have much to lose by trying one and I think you will be surprised.
It's a bit like RC, a good driver with a TT-01 tamiya will beat a rookie with an XRAY.
Smooth Roads

Novarossi...
Thats cool mate. Yep, you hit the nail right on the head. It helps pay for materials, otherwise, I wouldn't be able to afford to keep practising on these bodies.

BTW, I have a Iwata HP-B plus

Hologram
I am going to start an Airbrush thread in the Aussie forum if anyon wants to go along.
Good idea!
Old 08-14-2005, 10:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I can think of 2 well known guys here in Sydney that actually charges $60-80.00 for a well designed painted Protoform bodies. I supposed if you consider the 3-4 cans of paint, bodyshell, masking tape and labour, Its worth the money.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hologram
How's this..
Wow, thats awesome Hologram. How much time goes into something like that?
Old 08-14-2005, 10:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by danjoy25
I can think of 2 well known guys here in Sydney that actually charges $60-80.00 for a well designed painted Protoform bodies. I supposed if you consider the 3-4 cans of paint, bodyshell, masking tape and labour, Its worth the money.
I don't see anything wrong with this. Some people just don't have the time or talent to paint nice bodies, and just want to concentrate on racing. $60-$80 sounds reasonable.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:22 PM
Tech Adept

I think it is great if people buy something you have done but when you do custom jobs it becomes such a hassle to give people what they think they want.
I have done this for a living for years (commercial design not airbrush) and it is very different when you have a client saying "I want it this way".
It is about art.
I may just do a few bodies to hone the skills...
I hope that this thread is not just about Airbrush but about using a spray can and there are some trick bits of other tech out there.
There is a company doing waterslide decal paper for a bubblejet printer for example.
I have ordered some and will let you know how it goes on an RC body.
You should see my computers!!!
Old 08-14-2005, 10:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Novarossi
Wow, thats awesome Hologram. How much time goes into something like that?
Sometimes it works...
Sometimes it doesn't.
That was a pro shoot so about 3hrs shooting...
and about 4hrs with Photoshop...
I am working on a method to do internal photo decals...
Attached Thumbnails Airbrushing and Art-doll.jpg  
Old 08-14-2005, 10:30 PM
Tech Adept

The client paid 7 grand
Old 08-14-2005, 10:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hologram
I think it is great if people buy something you have done but when you do custom jobs it becomes such a hassle to give people what they think they want.
!!
Hologram, these people are paying for a service, not just art. Painting a lexan body with 3-4 colours with just racing stripes etc, is not considered art by everyone?
Old 08-14-2005, 10:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i think this is an appropriate place to ask this.
i have a 2004 kawasaki zx636r that i have benn thinking about doing a bit of airbrushing on. what paint and prep would be needed to do this? i will be doing a simple silver design. will i need to spray a coat of gloss over it when i am done?

Thanks
Terry
Old 08-14-2005, 10:53 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Novarossi
Hologram, these people are paying for a service, not just art. Painting a lexan body with 3-4 colours with just racing stripes etc, is not considered art by everyone?
Yes I understand. I do not need the money for doing some lexan lids.
If I do some, I'll sell them for "what the market will bear"
At the moment I have a real racecar as well as my RC to take up my time.
If you have the skills and people want it, go for it.
You are right, an RC body probably is not art.
I think that a brand new MTX3 chassis is ART at its most pure.
Everything else is window dressing.
If you're going to spend $1500 on a ride make it look like a $1500 ride.
Maybe it's just for fun and you want it to look good on the shelf?
That is art!!
This thread is about making your ride look goog or finding someone who can make your ride look good.
I don't know, I started it for the forum members not for me. I just want to help.
This whole thing is about fun. Sharing info and honest competition

Let's see where it goes, and maybe we'll unveill the next Wharhol or Lichtenstein amongst our loyal following??
Share info
Old 08-14-2005, 10:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bigtez
i think this is an appropriate place to ask this.
i have a 2004 kawasaki zx636r that i have benn thinking about doing a bit of airbrushing on. what paint and prep would be needed to do this? i will be doing a simple silver design. will i need to spray a coat of gloss over it when i am done?

Thanks
Terry
You must rub back the finish to remove the factory topcoat. I would do 400 then 800.
Respray with a quality finish to get a clean flat look if there are any blemishes.
Apply airbrushing.
Polish very gently with fine polish (dont take the airbrushin off just remove any artifacts). Wash thoroughly and apply clear (I like 3-6 coats)

Clear will give depth to the job

Last edited by Hologram; 08-14-2005 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

any clues on what paint to use? the fairings are plastic.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)
Thumbs down BODY PAINTING

Hi all.
Ive been doing bodies for a number of years now (10)..
I have never made any money out of it..maybee pay for some materials..thats about it...
I have won MANY international ,national and state conquorse's.
I used to enjoy painting the shells, Im not really doing it any more as a lot of people were taking me for granted..I mean i spend 2-3 days on a 1/5 scale shell and people winge when i say "thats $200 thanks"....but what they do not see is the behind the scene work..i run a plotter for the decals, and they have to be put in the computer, digitised, cut,weeded and applied...then mask and paint..(which takes the least amount of time i might add).
A 1/5 shell uses about 7 cans of paint @ $12. plus the chrome and the other colours i put through the air brush...say $30.....then the vinyl masks, quality masking tape..say $50..depending on the size of the mask..usually 1-2 meteres of vinyl @$20 per metre.
so im really doing a large car for free...that doesnt include going to the hobby shop for paint, signshop for vinyl, and the fact the machine and programe aint cheap.....
I charged a $100 for any 1/10 or 1/8 shell...any design...(now thats hard..)
including aprotaform shell that sells in shops here for $45...
2-3 cans paint, vinyl tape etc......still doing for nothing......
I do the occasional shell every now and then,,for fdun!..myboys have VERY trick looking shellsand a few close freinds get their shells fornicks..(they usually buy the paint)..
One think that really gets up me..To do with the art side of it,,(im a graphic designer ,20 years in the business come sign maker...less snobs..).
is when i do a trick shell and a car that has used insulation tape and paint markers..on the out side , wins conqurse...well im get upsett as most people do not or will not appretiate the work/skill involved...
ALL of my paint schemes use paint only...no stickers for colours.....all paint...take a look at my photo page (it hasnt been updated for a while) and see alot of my jobs...bearing in mind there ALL paint.even the grill's and head light/ tail lights..no stickers.....
You might know me as MICROGRAPIX.
see you all
mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.