Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
moorebank website not working? > moorebank website not working?

moorebank website not working?

Old 08-14-2005, 12:49 AM
Tech Elite

Default moorebank website not working?

i've tryed accessing www.nswrcrcc.org and the website does not work. what's the GO? also a mate went to do some practice on saturday and told me that the keys to the gates do not work. there has been another padlock or something placed on the gate.

so what is happening with this club? haven't been there for yonks, but a non up to date/offline website isn't a good sign
Old 08-14-2005, 01:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Sites been down about two weeks now Thomas, so has the AARCMCC one I believe.

You should come out more often Thomas.

The racing's fine (as normal) but it does still seem that people either don't like Moorebank (or the people there) or they just feel a bit overawed by the whole place as you don't get too many new people there very often it seems.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Craig1
The racing's fine (as normal) but it does still seem that people either don't like Moorebank (or the people there) or they just feel a bit overawed by the whole place as you don't get too many new people there very often it seems.
Here is my 2 cents worth...

I keep contemplating a comeback to 200mm, but the $$$ involved just does not justify it. Last time I raced, to make a A main final, you needed basically a $600-$800 chassis along with a $500-$700 engine/pipe combo along with radio gear. This is alot of money for people who intend on racing approx 10 times a year. I think most newbies wont go to moorebank in fear of getting there ass whipped (which most likely would happen) in a less inferior car. A friend of mine who I recently helped him chose an rc car (FW05 with kit engine) has raced at Eastern Creek a few times, but said would not go near Moorebank as his car is "not competitive" there.

Here is my intended shopping list so far...

Mugen MTX4 = $800???
Novarossi Spec Engine = $600 ???
Pipe = $150???
Radio/Servo = $600???
Tires/Starter Box/Tools/Misc = $400???

Thats a total of $2550 just to be semi-competitive at Moorebank. This is one of the main reasons why Im attracted more and more to electric racing.

Maybe a spec class should be introduced.

Michael.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Craig1
Sites been down about two weeks now Thomas, so has the AARCMCC one I believe.

You should come out more often Thomas.

yeah i've been meaning to go down and help jay out and stuff, but at the moment i have no car and like michael said, the costs are an issue. to be honest with you i've been turned of by tourers due to the costs. which is a shame, because i always enjoyed moorebank....maybe when the mtx4 comes i'll get it. at the moment i am thinking about racing nitro buggies as i can get a full car for about $500, plus i just want to muck around, not after the full on competition any more. the other smaller reason i didn't race nitro this year was because mbank has such a hard time attracting new drivers. it gets borring racing against the same dudes all the time, great bunch of people, but you know
Old 08-14-2005, 05:54 AM
Tech Master

Thats a total of $2550 just to be semi-competitive at Moorebank. This is one of the main reasons why Im attracted more and more to electric racing.

Maybe a spec class should be introduced.

Michael.[/QUOTE]

All good points Michael but when you have some of the best nitro guys in OZ running club days at Moorebank it's always going to be tough to make the A, as well as expensive just by the nature of the competition. I think this makes a lot of people think that they don't belong as they feel out of their deapth and it's hard to change that attitude.

The only way would be to run a spec class as you said but I think the pull-start type class has been tried but that it just simply hasn't been supported by the guys who run that class.

The price comparison to electric is interesting as that always seems to be one topic that comes up. I'd guess that it would depend upon the class you run once again and how competitive you wish to be. With the alternate classes that are available running electric you could just select one that you can afford but with N/T your either all in or not.

I did run electric before nitro years ago and one of the reasons I started running nitro is that I found it cheaper than electric at the time. It would be interesting to do an honest comparison but I think N/T would be costly.

I don't know, I just go and run my car and enjoy racing on a purpose built track, it just seems more enjoyable than any temporary type thing and that's what I like. I guess that's why I travel two hours plus each fortnight. Each to their own.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

All good points Craig. I guess not many new members will join because of the staggering costs.

IE.

Look at the average age of 1/5th racers (40yo?)
Look at the average age of 1/8th racers (30yo?)
Look at the average age of 200mm racers (20yo?)

This is a clear indication of the costs of each class.

Anyone younger then 20yo and not on a full time job is going to struggle to pay for competitive equipment unless mummy or daddy has a big wallet for them.

When I first began racing 200mm at Moorebank in 2000(?), there were so many different faces and different chassis, however, over time, most of these guys disappeared.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

the two main reasons why I stppoed running at Moorebank, was the cost and the attitude of some of the members towards some of the new and slower guys.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:58 PM
Tech Regular

i'm going to moorebank for the first time on sunday. it all seems to be a pretty daunting experiance. you here so many stories and i have a few mates that would love to give it a go but are turned off by not being competitive and not wanting to get in other peoples way.

as a sort of newbie i know i'll be slow and crash,so just drive around me
Old 08-14-2005, 07:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

I`ve always found the guys at Moorebank to be most welcoming....its unfortunate that i cant get to race there more often due to shift work
One thing i must say about Moorebank is, how much racing at this track will help to improve your driving skills.....the distance your car is away from you, the varied track (esses, hairpins, fast straight), all help to make you faster when youre racing at other less demanding circuits.......just my 2c worth
Cheers
Old 08-15-2005, 03:02 AM
Tech Master

Some interesting and differing views in the responses.

Cost, well I guess it's just plain expensive to race R/C cars in general and the more competitive you want to be the more it costs. The older you are the more likely you are to have more money. When I was a teenager all I could do was dream of owning an R/C car as cool as some of the most basic cars I see now.

The complaints about being treated poorly if you are a new guy I've always found a little odd. It would be interesting to know when or by who this has happened.

You see when you come up and register to race (if you are new to Moorebank) you will always be placed in one of the earlier heats which always contain new drivers/members/visitors, as they don't know you skill level when you register. So if during your racing you get abused or yelled at it would mostly be by another new racer and not a club regular.

If in practice some gun 1/8th car runs you over or another 1/10th scale just pushes you off the track, then those thing will happen when you have cars/drivers of differing skill levels on the track at the same time. It takes two cars (in most cases) to have an accident. By that I mean if you are new to the place and are just wandering around in the middle of the track it is most likely that someone will hit you if you don't keep your eyes peeled.

There are some good drivers at Moorebank but no one will be able to miss you if you are sitting in the middle of the sweeper when they are going fast.

It doesn't matter how much experience you have in the end you have to be considerate of all the people who are racing. That means anything from being polite to doing your job marshalling
Old 08-15-2005, 04:11 AM
Tech Elite

Bring back the 235mm cars
Old 08-15-2005, 04:37 AM
Tech Elite

at the end of the day, moorebank is a difficult track to master with nitro, and the level of competition is intense. people say it is daunting because it is like putting a club racer from a production class cup in with f1 cars YOU'RE GONNA FREAK OUT!

and like f1 you always have your "hardcore" characters, but there's always going to be a jackie stewart to help you out ie; craig and almost everyone else there.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I find it disapointing that all people feel that they need to win the class that they are running, whatever happened to having fun with toy cars? to race against yourself, and to push your own barriers.

Also i like to remember tha fact that i had someone help me when i first started, and i try my best to help others at the track, most people just do not open themselves up for help or are ignorant to the answers given.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:54 AM
Tech Regular

i dont care where i place,i just dont wanna get in the way.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

These discussions always bring out some good points;

For me racing has always been expensive, from 1/12th when i was 14 to 1/8th on road, to 235mm 2 wheel drive, to today racing running N/T. The nature of our game is always going to make it like this, if we were racing prams it would still be the same, somebody would have a trick pram from Babyco with wider tyres and better aero....

I can see 2 things have changed over years that we can control;

The first is the complexity of the cars, be it electric or gas. The learning curve these days is a hard road, the cars are complex to setup and maintain, not to mention the cost involved to get going.

The second point is years ago, you pretty much purchased your gear from the local distributor so to speak, who went to the track and generally looked after all the customers and provided help, support and setup advise.

Rightly or wrongly it seems to be a different playing field these days with the online buying scenario. We seem to have lost that bond somewhere along the line.

For various reasons rightly or wrongly we have what we have now, but i still dont see many 14 year olds racing at the track.

So how do we fix this, how do we create a "controlled class" Australia wide thats cost effective and not super complex so that younger people can enter the sport have fun on a sensible budget and then decide if they want to move on to bigger and better things???

Regards

Kyle

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service