Wiki Posts
Search

Northern Beaches...Beach Racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 11:04 PM
Tech Adept

Default Northern Beaches...Beach Racing. **PICS INSIDE**

Hi Guys

I'm interested to see how many of you would be interested in getting together and running social races on the beach?

I offen run my sand paddle equipped savage on the beach, and think how great it would be to have a group of guys driving together.

My initial brainstorm came up with these ideas;
-Tracks could be made using markers in the sand, so...more of a 'point to point' race rather then a track.
-No race fee, just the $3/hr that most of the beaches charge to park.
-No fancy timing equipment, just a volunteer with a stopwatch set for 6 minutes.
-Initial classes would be either 2wd or 4wd. Any style of vehicle.
-Obviously there would be no power. I currently have 5 lipos which would be plenty for 4 races, with some practice laps thrown in.
-Depending on feedback, the group could get together every fortnight or month.
-The venue could change from beach to beach. Some are better then others with regards to parking.

All you need to do is throw on a set of paddle tires, and most cars are good to go. I use my car on the beach most weekends and have loads of fun. The only other thing I'm unsure of, is what council would think of a group getting together like this on one of their beaches.

So if your interested in a very social race format of a different kind, please post you thoughts below. Any feedback appreciated.

Tim.

Last edited by brighty; 03-28-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:05 PM
Tech Adept

A few pics from last weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_0177.jpg   Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_0180.jpg   Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_0284.jpg  
Old 03-26-2014, 01:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Sounds interesting, I'm always up for a drive, although how to stock cars perform on sand? (also how bad is it on the motors?)
Old 03-26-2014, 02:48 AM
Tech Adept

Basher style cars, 2wd and 4wd perform very well with paddle tires.

As for the motors, I run a non sensored viper motor that is well sealed to keep sand out. All i did was neatly use some gasket sealer around the motor wires to keep the sand out. I also drilled a small 3mm hole in the bottom of the can to allow any sand that did get in to drain out. So far no problems. Been running the same motor on sand weekly for about 6 months.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Is that Freshie? I'd love to have a go mate but I don't know how popular I'd be running a nitro truggy down there. Plus I'd need to renew my passport to go over that side of the Narrabeen bridge. Hahaha JOKES.....
Old 03-27-2014, 02:38 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by shortybigfella
Is that Freshie? I'd love to have a go mate but I don't know how popular I'd be running a nitro truggy down there. Plus I'd need to renew my passport to go over that side of the Narrabeen bridge. Hahaha JOKES.....
It's ok your safe! I usually run at either Bilgola or Palm beach. Come and annoy us!
Old 03-28-2014, 10:30 PM
Tech Adept

Some pics of today's run at the beach to entice you guys to come down and give it a go. More to come.
Attached Thumbnails Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_0779.jpg   Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_0786.jpg   Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_0793.jpg   Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_0800.jpg   Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_0810.jpg  

Old 03-28-2014, 10:35 PM
Tech Adept

Attached Thumbnails Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_0811.jpg   Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_0815.jpg   Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_0818.jpg   Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_0841.jpg   Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_0844.jpg  

Old 03-28-2014, 10:37 PM
Tech Adept

Attached Thumbnails Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_0851.jpg   Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_0852.jpg   Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_0866.jpg   Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_0868.jpg  
Old 04-05-2014, 01:21 AM
Tech Adept

Giving this post a bump
Old 04-12-2014, 11:19 PM
Tech Adept

Could this be Australia's first Beach track?

Got out today between the showers and built the very first track. Took all of 10 minutes. I used the available sticks laying around as markers. Did the trick, although bright cones might be a little better.

In a couple of weeks I plan to go out on another Sunday to build another track. But...I'm going to spend a little more time on it to build a few jumps or whoops...whatever I think of at the time.

Remember, if you want to give this go, I'm out on the beach most Sunday afternoons.
Attached Thumbnails Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_0966.jpg   Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_0968.jpg   Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_0969.jpg   Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_0971.jpg   Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_0972.jpg  

Old 04-14-2014, 12:39 AM
Tech Adept

Ok, here is the first promotional poster. Aiming to get a group together once a month. Thank you to the LHS for their support
Attached Thumbnails Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-beach-racing.jpg  
Old 04-26-2014, 10:07 PM
Tech Adept

Another simple track today...I let the car make its own, then followed around marking out the corners. I'd say my 2, 2 year old Gens Ace Lipos are nearing the end. No ball tearing power, felt like an old Johnson 540.
Attached Thumbnails Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_1051.jpg   Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_1052.jpg   Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_1076.jpg   Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_1142.jpg   Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_1084.jpg  

Old 04-26-2014, 10:15 PM
Tech Adept

Attached Thumbnails Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_1065.jpg   Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_1069.jpg   Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_1110.jpg   Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_1112.jpg   Northern Beaches...Beach Racing-img_1137.jpg  

Old 04-28-2014, 05:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Hey, i heard about your idea of racing when i bought some paddle tires at Northern Beaches Hobbies and i think it sounds great. The guy in the shop said you were looking for some people and directed me to this forum. Anyway it sounds fun but what beach will you hold it at?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.