Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
Purchasing Motor/ESC combos overseas and Warranty in Australia? >

Purchasing Motor/ESC combos overseas and Warranty in Australia?

Purchasing Motor/ESC combos overseas and Warranty in Australia?

Old 05-05-2013, 05:43 PM

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Purchasing Motor/ESC combos overseas and Warranty in Australia?

Just wanting to confirm if anyone has had any experience with purchasing motor/ESC's from the US and had any issues with claiming warranty though the supplier.

I am getting 2 Tekin combos if that makes any difference as I know Tekin have great support locally but know that Hobbyshops in Melbourne get funny with warranties if not purchased in Australia

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
Old 05-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OOOYAH View Post
Just wanting to confirm if anyone has had any experience with purchasing motor/ESC's from the US and had any issues with claiming warranty though the supplier.

I am getting 2 Tekin combos if that makes any difference as I know Tekin have great support locally but know that Hobbyshops in Melbourne get funny with warranties if not purchased in Australia

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
u will have to send them to tekin for warranty no hobby shop will give u warranty for it
the only escs that i no off that u can get warranty for in aus is lrp but it will cost u money

cheers jim
Old 05-06-2013, 01:22 AM
Tech Elite

Hobbywing will only exchange for a fee wholesale pricing for a new unit if bought from overseas or you will have to send it back to our factory in china which will cost you the delivery charge there and back .
Old 05-06-2013, 02:34 AM
Tech Regular

I will say that this is one of the downsides of purchasing from overseas. I had an issue with my Muchmore charger where it changed settings and blew up a battery. I contacted the online store and they told me that I would have to go through the supplier (Understandable as many stores redirect you to the supplier to cut out the middleman and time).
Once I did contact them they told me that I would have to send the charger to the US warehouse because I bought it from overseas.

In the end I didn't do that and here's why:
1: The cost to send a 2-3kg parcel to the US is about $70- by airmail. More if it's any kind of express.
2: The charger was worth $200 so I was essentially paying 1/3 of the price just to post it
3: I would be without a charger for several weeks as US mail ain't the fastest thing in the world and I could order another cheaper and just as reliable charger that would arrive at my door in a few days.

As it was a mate and I swapped a motor for an old charger and I essentially just saved the time and pain ache that I would have had if I actually followed the warranty. I also see it all the time with work where people purchase something online and then find that it doesn't follow Australian Standards or doesn't have suitable customer support in our country. Our laws for warranties and other countries laws for warranties can differ quite a bit and sometimes it's to the point where you can purchase an item worth several hundred dollars with no warranty at all.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:50 PM

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks for the heads up

the Tekin Gen 2 combos are only $250 however are around $370 here
Plus I get a massive discount at Tower due to coupon codes and purchasing other items
Essentially I'm paying $900 for $1200 US pricing with everything I need so it's a hell of a lot cheaper
Old 05-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

interesting, therefore if you have any issues with the equipment send it back to tower and they will warranty the items I would imagine..
Old 05-07-2013, 10:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Tekin and Castle usually deal direct so going through the Australian supplier isn't always a smoother operation. For Tekin, I'd buy overseas and deal direct. It's all very brand dependant, I will never buy Futaba locally again due to an experience I had with the local wholesaler for warranty. But on the flip side if you buy overseas, you can't expect the local guy to go out of his way to help you (mute point as many won't even if you DO buy from them!)

It also depends on the store, some stores will replace off their own back and deal with warranty later, I know Ryper Hobbies helped me out with a GTB system that way as did a local Toyworld when a VXL esc popped.