Vic Off Road: Control Tire?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 02:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by The Fuhrer
Nice one Old Skool!!!
Track looks good guys.
Seems neither M3 or R3 will be used, Contol tire is LOSI X2000.
Price is cheaper than Holine, sorry Proline.
Is the x2000 control tire for real?? or are you just stiring the pot???
Old 04-17-2005, 02:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Fuhrer ...whats seems to be the problem !!! First you say M3 compounds are not available when they are and then you continually make smart @#%@ remarks about the importer/brand. If you want co-operation from suppliers why keep bagging them?

If you say the Losi's are cheaper then I assume that you will have the tyres for sale at the meeting and if so at what price?
Old 04-17-2005, 02:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I thought that Big Shots were the Losi tyre of choice at the Nats? If they were , are you not choosing a tyre with limited appeal to all classes?

Has the track changed or did racers use X2000's late at the Nats? I didn't use X2000's but maybe that was why I was slow :
Old 04-17-2005, 04:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Will the X-2000 be a control compound?, Also whats the 4WD front tyre thats a good balance to the x-2000?
(been a while since I used the 4wd)

Cannon ,if the track is kept damp (watered) the x-2000's red work very well, I had them on yesterday.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:23 PM
Tech Master

the furher remxin things up

4WD and 2WD front is open, or so i have heard, also truck is full open!

Block head for the front of the 4wd, they aslways work best with the x-2000's. Even for the nationals alot of poeple were using x-2000 for 4wd and block head front, considering the surface change they should be alright.
Even if you arent getting teh right amount of traction, remember its the same for every one! Live with it
Old 04-18-2005, 04:00 AM
Tech Adept

Controlled tyres, Great Idea.

Good to try something different.

Old 04-18-2005, 04:26 AM
Tech Master

what abou the people that have a supply of sprint fronts?? and what tyre are 2wd rears running?? or 2wd fronts? and we have to use x2000 but what if the track breaks up and we have to use 8081 (for monga). the control tire is great in theory but it works better in the states cause their tracks are better maintained.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Heya Guys.

Tony2 i think you have completely missed the point.

Who gives a shit if the track changes, we are all still dealing with the same conditions, its just a matter of who can deal with them best rather than who has the right set of tires on.

Come on guys, this should be a step in the right direction for offroad.

Glenn
Old 04-18-2005, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

definantly a step in the right direction

I dont think its possible to control the numbers of tyres used, the logistics would be massive, but the reality is, that if everyone knows in advance that theres only one rear tyre, that saves a huge amount of guessing work and save people bringing many sets of many different tyres, just in case they have the right one

i hope they come up with a control tyre for the NSW states too, and in the trucks it wouldnt be too hard to work out a control tyre also cos everyone seems to run the reptile

someone earlier suggested that a rule be made allowing clubs to nominate a control tyre for any event they like, as opposed to having to get a vote on every instance a control tyre is to be used, thats a very good idea, obviously have terms that must be met for the tyre to be ellgible to be a control tyre, also, rules on how much notice a club must give of the nominated control tyre before an event

and then bring back 540 racing
Old 04-19-2005, 12:21 AM
Tech Master

Default control tires and changin conditions...

I tested the control tires on the weekend, in conditions varying from wet to dry, and only noticed about a 1 second per lap variance from dry and loose to wet and high grip.

In choosing the control tire, we have taken the time of year and the track condition into account. With proper watering, the X-2000 is the most consistent handling tire. The time of year the race is (late may), the track will stay damp from overnight dew until mid morning at least, and from there on it will be watered. Rarely under these circumstances do red clay tracks break up. They usually break up due to lack of moisture. That will not be a problem.

The new layout is awesome, the pics show the basic layout, but alot of work is still to be done for the race, which includes resurfacing and sealing of the new sections. Come race time, it will be better than the nats.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:06 AM
Tech Master

sounds awesome!!!

I think we can all trust you guys best judgement on tires!

X-2000's FOR EVERY ONE!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Andrew Selvaggi; 04-19-2005 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Well done to everyone involved in getting a control tyre for this event, This a Huge step on the right direction, Who cares what tyre it is, Time will be better spent doing set-ups changes rather than messing about with tyres/compounds, Hope control tyres are Std issue at all State/National Titles ,
Old 04-19-2005, 05:22 AM
Tech Master

All we need now is for a club to put forward a submission to AARCMCC for the clubs to vote on. This event and discussion would provide some learnings on what should be in the rules.

Regards
Chris Peet
AARCMCC Electric Section
Old 04-28-2005, 11:33 PM
Tech Master

Cantona,

Its been a long time since I've been offroad racing but I'm interested to know how you will handle these 2 questions regarding the control tyre:

1. Foam insert. Are they allowed to be trimmed, etc, or do they have to be mounted as supplied?

2. Cutting off the outside row of pins to generate more grip? Allowed, disallowed? In my mind this would seem to be a modification of a control tyre...

I don't even know if these are valid questions any more, just thought I should ask them anyway...

Regards
Chris Peet
Old 05-02-2005, 12:30 AM
Tech Master

vr01- you are allowed to cut the insert and you will be allowed to cut spikes. You are not allowed to alter the diameter or width (ie cut out section and reglue).