Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
The Official Australian 12th Scale Eurostock Thread >

The Official Australian 12th Scale Eurostock Thread

The Official Australian 12th Scale Eurostock Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What a weekend!

2 groups at Warners Bay on Saturday night. I just managed to hold out Scott McHeizer by 0.002 seconds after 8 minutes (he's probably going to mount his transponder at the front next time).

Then on Sunday I got a chance to mix it with the likes of Senniak, Edwards and Bad Man. Well, mix it is a bit of a strong description, I think Shane and Andrew put 4 laps on me!

I did a count, and over the two meetings there were 20 drivers racing 12th Eurostock this weekend, and another 3 people showed me cars they were putting together but just didn't quite get ready in time.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I enjoyed running mine. I was surprised at how competitive I was given I haven't driven more then 4 laps of a 12th before sat night.

Big thanks to Richard and the guys at Highway Hobbies, who brought me up a set of axle shims so I could run .

Really looking forward to Thursday night at highway now.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:02 PM
Tech Regular

The racing over the 2 nights was great. I got the chance to drive Shanes car and it showed me how bad my car is lol. I've got a lot to learn about setups.

Thursday night will be huge. If anyone has ever thought about racing 12th scale come down to Highway Hobbies Thursday night and have a go . You will love it.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:16 PM
No9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

1/12 10.5 is by far the best form of R/C racing there is ..
Its so competitive and the racing is so close (between some lol) and setup is everything..
Old 10-31-2012, 10:51 PM
PDR
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Don't yet know if I'll get one, but what are the preferences for 1S ESC's with built-in booster vs separate booster?
Old 11-01-2012, 12:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by PDR
Don't yet know if I'll get one, but what are the preferences for 1S ESC's with built-in booster vs separate booster?
I run a lrp sxx and it runs great with or without the booster also ran the venom 120amp the old green one with no problems also
Old 11-02-2012, 12:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Just wondering what spur gears are good?

I've got a kimbrough 72 in the car now, and I like it. I need a bigger rollout though, at the moment im in the mid 70s need to get into the 80s I think. So dropping to the smallest kimbrough wont quite get me there. Ideally I think I need something around 65, but not aware of any that support the 12 ball diff at that size, or is the 6 ball just fine?

I have all 48p pinions so I'd like to stick with that.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:27 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by PDR
From what I've seen the built in boosters seem to be more reliable than the external ones. Some people seem to have a lot of trouble with the external boosters. A receiver pack works quite well too, and they're only $20 for a good one.

Originally Posted by wollow86

I've got a kimbrough 72 in the car now, and I like it. I need a bigger rollout though, at the moment im in the mid 70s need to get into the 80s I think. So dropping to the smallest kimbrough wont quite get me there. Ideally I think I need something around 65, but not aware of any that support the 12 ball diff at that size, or is the 6 ball just fine?

I ran a 6 ball 63T spur in the P1 the other night. You can get away with it, but it's not recommended.

HPI make a 48 pitch spur in 65T with a decent number of balls: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBSJS&P=7
Associated have a 66T unit too.

Robertson Racing do a 60T spur gear that will take 8 balls: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Spur-Gear-60T 8 is better than 6.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:25 AM
No9
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wollow86

3 racing make a 48p 65 th spur that does accept 12 ball .
Old 11-06-2012, 03:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default QLD Euro Stock

I would really like to see this up here in QLD. I haven't been in the QLD scence for long at all, however the nationals are coming up and I was amazed to see how many 12th scales came out of the closet.

I am more than happy to co-ordinate this for next year if people and clubs are willing. PM me if you are interested so I can gauge this and get the ball rolling.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:35 AM
Tech Champion

Nice work Paul!

It was a nice surprise to see 16 entries in 12th for the Nats in Qld given that it hasn't been run at any level there for a long time. Seems like you might have interest to work with.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Hi guys,

I have alot of 1/12 scale stuff instock at good prices. I can also get most stuff. Pm me with anything your after. Also looking to sponsor some drivers
Old 11-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Tech Champion

I have a plot I would like to share with people. It's a plot of 12th scale entries at MORCC meets over the last 2 years. The dots are entries at individual meets, the line a 3 race moving average, and the bars the number of 12th heats.

In the plot the first vertical black line indicates a move to our current venue. At this time we were racing Mod 12th only. 12th scale entries followed a fairly familiar pattern from there. Initially you see an increase in entries as people learn to set-up the cars on a new track, people have fun racing the class and its popularity increases.

After 6 months or so, some people have started to get quite good, and the cars have gotten faster. At this stage it becomes harder for a new person to join in. Our lap length is about 10 seconds, so beginning at a slower speed means you're being lapped a lot and its hard to maintain rhythm. People start bolting in faster motors earlier than they should in order to try and keep up. The result is broken cars. New people enjoying the racing less, experienced drivers enjoying the racing less because they are going too quick to avoid slower cars, etc. The numbers continue to decline for next 6 months, until finally we have only 3 cars competing.

The second vertical black line indicates the last meet for open Modified. From then on the cars have been restricted to the Eurostock format. The result for the popularity of the class has been really impressive. The trend has been up ever since, and we've now hit our record number of 12th entries 2 meets in a row. What's more we're clearly in 2 heat territory, enabling us to pre-grade the cars to give newer racers a kinder introduction into 12th scale.

What's not shown here is our current pool of drivers. Not everyone can make every meeting of course, but we have more 12th racers than the 11 who raced the last 2 meets. Over the last 12 meets, 18 different people have driven 12th scale with us. All of them are still active in the class, and I know of another 2 drivers who race with us who have just recently acquired cars and haven't yet got them on the track at one of our meetings.

In a nut shell, this formula is allowing us to grow 12th scale at unprecedented levels. We're not a big Sydney club with the best facilities, we're a regional outfit running on a temporary surface, but at the current rate of growth, we could have more 12th scale entries than the Nationals in another 6 months.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Warners Bay Trends (12th).pdf (27.2 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by Radio Active; 11-11-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:59 PM
No9
Tech Master

I am planning on making the trip up to the next race ,unfortunately the last to fell on dates that made it impossible for me to attend.
This is a great class and its fantastic to see such growth in 1/12.
I no at Highway Hobbies we are seeing more and more cars turning up each week and it is a goal of ours to get as many of our regulars to come up to Warners bay as we can.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Tech Champion

Just a quick note that I'm working on getting a Tour for this class going next year, similar to the NSW SCT Tour that was used to prepare drivers in that class for inclusion in the Club Series next year.

Stay tuned, and hopefully we can have an announcement in the next couple of weeks.

Messages of support welcome. Get in contact with me if you think you can contribute in any way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.