Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
GP 3700 are they legal to race? >

GP 3700 are they legal to race?

GP 3700 are they legal to race?

Old 03-15-2005, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The odd thing about the whole "don't discharge them below 0.9v" thing is that SMC are recommending putting them onto a 20amp discharge tray like the Apex,, Integy, or Duratrax for a few minutes prior to charging. This will most certainly take the cells well below 0.9v.

I have seen some really bad things happen (permanent discharge voltage drop, permanent runtime decrease) when you take them below around 0.5v.

The cell is too new, and not enough testing has been done to confidently say one thing or another - I would be taking them no lower than 0.9v for the time being. That is a safe voltage for them.

And don't even think about taking them to 0.0 - they tend to vent. You have been warned.

Speaking to the technicians at IB (Intellect) they say they are aware of the cell's weakness at very low voltage, and they are working towards making newer revisions of the cell more hardy. Hopefully this problem will be solved soon enough.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Correct me if I am wrong but I doubt whether you would be moving much with a 6 cell pack below 5.4 volts. The weight of the car would most probably stop you. It is like running a 4 cell pack in a heavy car.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

I m eager to get my hands on a set of 3700 GP'S i heard they contain high voltage
Old 03-19-2005, 05:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by cannon
Correct me if I am wrong but I doubt whether you would be moving much with a 6 cell pack below 5.4 volts. The weight of the car would most probably stop you. It is like running a 4 cell pack in a heavy car.
Discharging below 0.9 is part of the preperation most racers use to get the most out of the GP3300 cells. Many ppl like myself leave packs on zero equalizers for a few days before use to improve performance... Also, no matched pack is perfectly equal so when you dump a pack (car goes at walking speed), chances are you have at least one cell as low as 0.1v and sometimes reversed. The new IB's supposedly have better performance then the GP3300 but it seems they can be hurt very easily if mistreated.

If they prove to be the best of the current crop of cells, chances are we will see drivers with $$ throwing away cells often and the rest of us being very cautious... Will make big events very interesting...
Old 03-19-2005, 07:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It's certainly going to be very interesting to see where these battery wars go.

IB3600s (and the upcoming IB3800s, and whatever else Intellect bring out...) have great runtime and voltage but seem to be considerably more fragile than a GP cell. They are very reasonably priced.

GP3700s have great runtime as well (slightly more even), but are a lot more expensive. I'm told they are as hardy as the GP3300s, and they seem to be a little more predictable than the IB cells as well.

I'm told the voltages and runtimes coming off the latest batch of GP3700s are extremely good - even better than the latest IB3600s. I look forward to trying out the latest GP offerings and finding out for myself.

People should bear in mind that both IB3600 and GP3700 cells are still illegal for AARCMCC events in Australia, and are likely to remain so until 3rd quarter of this year.

-Scott