Wiki Posts
Search

Computer power supply

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 04:51 AM
BG
Tech Addict

Originally posted by semper
I just came across these 'uncased' power supplies selling at Rcmart or Dinball, Venom Order was refering to. I might go that way. Beside that which 'cased' ready to go power supplies would you guys recomend? I only intent using it to power my charger (a duratrax Ice), no lathe or whatnots. So 10 amps should be adequate. Price IS a factor (sorry if that offends anyone) but we're talking about an item that merely make life easier in the pursuit of an indulgence- racing model cars.

Well those power supplys are designed to fit into enclosed compartments that are properly earthed or double insulated. There are exposed terminals which 240 feeds to.

Actually I might say this.

All governing bodys that clubs are affiliated with need to implement rules that ban all rc drivers that use unsafe power supply's.

There is nothing else to say, there is no "money is a factor" or "I found it cheap" or "it was a bargain".

Cheers
BG
Old 03-12-2005, 05:10 AM
Tech Regular

I use a regulated 12V power supply quite happily, it's not a computer supply but it's pretty damn similar. I have no problem using it. I can't see any more potential risks using my supply then anyone elses.

I've built my own cool down tray, switchbox for my PS, auto voltage cutoff and discharger. Does this mean i shouldn't use them either?? Just incase somebody with a pacemaker walks along and decides to play with the terminals?? Where does this end??
Old 03-12-2005, 05:23 AM
BG
Tech Addict

Well I will keep it simple it can end up in court if you are using an item not design for a specific use in a public place. Enough said.

Cheers BG
Old 03-12-2005, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by BG
Well I will keep it simple it can end up in court if you are using an item not design for a specific use in a public place. Enough said.

Cheers BG
This could apply to a thousand "items" used anywhere by anybody Want to ban them too?

There's no way anyone could hurt themselves with my unit, and when i see electricians making them too, it makes me think the risks can't be any greater than resting my arm on my computer at home!

There were plenty of us using them last night at our local track - perhaps they should cordon us off and put up some "DANGER" signs

I'd like the moderators to close this thread because it's becoming a complete farce.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:42 PM
BG
Tech Addict

I think you missed the point
Old 03-12-2005, 11:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by BG
Well those power supplys are designed to fit into enclosed compartments that are properly earthed or double insulated. There are exposed terminals which 240 feeds to.

Actually I might say this.

All governing bodys that clubs are affiliated with need to implement rules that ban all rc drivers that use unsafe power supply's.

There is nothing else to say, there is no "money is a factor" or "I found it cheap" or "it was a bargain".

Cheers
BG
Help me out, Is the computer earth from the earth with in the computers power supply or do you use a different earth lead on your PC.

If the PC power supply has a C tick it has been tested in an Australian test Lab and passed for use in Australia.

http://internet.aca.gov.au/ACAINTER/
Old 03-12-2005, 11:38 PM
Tech Regular

i bought a Pc power supply off a well known race for 20 bucks but i have to connect everything before i turn it on i so opened the case to see how to fix the problem and listen to this....... the PS was OFF unpluged from the wall and i touched something which was connected to every single wire WHILE IT WAS OFF and i got a big jolt or zap i was scary i closed it and i glued it together it was so bad and it was OFF i couldnt believe it but i can run my cdc off it and my two 9 cm fans and a comm lathe no problems
Old 03-12-2005, 11:53 PM
Tech Regular

Stasi: It sounds like your PS was still holding a charge. If you want to look inside your supply my advice is leave the fans running when you unplug the unit. Once the fans stop the charge should be well and truly gone. If you want i'll take a look at it next race meet.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:57 PM
Tech Regular

i have glued it so i cant open it thanks anyways
Old 03-13-2005, 01:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by StasI
i bought a Pc power supply off a well known race for 20 bucks but i have to connect everything before i turn it on i so opened the case to see how to fix the problem and listen to this....... the PS was OFF unpluged from the wall and i touched something which was connected to every single wire WHILE IT WAS OFF and i got a big jolt or zap i was scary i closed it and i glued it together it was so bad and it was OFF i couldnt believe it but i can run my cdc off it and my two 9 cm fans and a comm lathe no problems
i think this is why these power supplies are not allowed. imagine if you had fuel near by and somehow the spark hit the fuel, or metho, or acetine, or any flamable liquid.

i'd recommend the team munch more power supplies. they look good, are small, light and have 20amps to a max of 23 amps.

jaycar sell some chunky jobbers that work fine, i have used these for quite some time. the only downside is they are 15 amps max i think.

ps why lock a topic because people are disagreeing?? this is a important safety issue, people should understand the hazzards. just because you know how to set up a "illegal" power supply properly and safely doesn't mean myself, or another racer can.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by VenomWorldOrder
i think this is why these power supplies are not allowed. imagine if you had fuel near by and somehow the spark hit the fuel, or metho, or acetine, or any flamable liquid.

i'd recommend the team munch more power supplies. they look good, are small, light and have 20amps to a max of 23 amps.

jaycar sell some chunky jobbers that work fine, i have used these for quite some time. the only downside is they are 15 amps max i think.

ps why lock a topic because people are disagreeing?? this is a important safety issue, people should understand the hazzards. just because you know how to set up a "illegal" power supply properly and safely doesn't mean myself, or another racer can.
If you open virtually ANY power supply (including all these "proper" ones) you can electrocute youself as there are large capacitors there storing lots of energy!!

Why do you need to open these units in the first place?? Do you stick your hand in your computer while it's on???

I want this thread closed simply because their is lot of rubbish posted on here that is not facts - and scaremongering is only making matters worse! I don't want the few ill-informed people on this thread causing trouble that effects my club, or stops me and many others racing because of misinformation.

As for "just because you know how to set up a power supply properly, doesn't mean other people can" Well that's been my whole point all along
- DON'T DO IT IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOURE DOING -

How simple is that to understand. I have seen a few of these units built, ALL of them built outside the unit without going inside the case - ALL of them functioning perfectly well - ALL of them impossible to short out or get your finger stuck in there!

If anyone has seen units that could be considered "bodgy" then make that person fix them - or heed my warning above.

BTW we better ban ALL electric motors - the sparks from then could ignite fuel, or metho, or acetine, or any flamable liquid
Old 03-13-2005, 02:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by VenomWorldOrder
I have heard some nightmare stories about the team much more power supply, Peter stubis in Sydney who fixes the majority of broken electronics around said he looked at one but will not dare to touch or fix them due to their dodgy construction.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:23 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

The wholesaler has withdrawn the Much More power supply from the Australian market anyway.

A computer power supply is no different from any other power supply - if you aren't qualified to do so then you should not be taking the lid off. there is even a notice on the side telling you not to take the lid off (same notice as on my powertech one).

There is absolutely no need to take the lid off to make a useful power supply for rc needs.

Please don't open the box.

Last edited by heavy; 03-13-2005 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by bender

Atomix your comment was the worst - you must have so much money that you are willing to throw it away - why pay more for a product that isn't as good? - would you pay $90k for a Barina if you could by a Porsche for $30k

I dont consider buying a safe, certified & purpose built power supply that conforms to Aust regulations "throwing" money away. The fact that you are trying to argue with me on this point would indicate you have copped the odd 240v spike already.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

A power supply is a power supply is a power supply. As long as it has the Australian Approval mark (or whatever country you are in) on it, it doesn't matter if it is a PC power supply or designed specifically for the RC market. The only difference is the connectors on the end of the cables. They do not do anything magical to make it work with your charger. However, if you want the install on the charger to be tidy and internal, you should have someone quallified do it. DC current (not voltage) is actually much more dangerous than AC (mains) current, and the capacitors in a power supply can release that current extremely quickly (i have seen screw drivers melted). Voltage is not dangerous at all, it is the current it carries that'll kill ya, it only takes much less than one amp at the wrong moment to do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.