Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree116Likes

Adelaide Radio Controlled Raceway Inc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 07:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As an example, I used to run two x 2mm graphite front shock towers bolted together on the front of my HB D4, until the 3mm graphite items came out and solved the issue. Ran like that for 2 seasons without a problem.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by window mark
Chasing some info ....
Is it legal or illegal to stregthen up front shock towers in state events or nationals......at club events say it doesnt matter....
Couldn't see it being a problem so long as the car meets dimension regulations for scrutiniring. Plus I've seen it done before...
Old 05-26-2013, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thks for the info guys......Tryed the 2 main brands / not sure if its me / there is a soft spot in the towers ..... snap 3 in 2 weeks , at a cost of $27 each / ouch.... mainley indoor racing , on dirt no problems.......
Old 05-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Might be more driver error mark. I dint think I ever broke a shock tower on the v3 in the 2 seasons that I raced it. I've always thought the durangos are a strong car. My biggest problem was always electrics until I went with the r10 pro.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

.... mainley indoor racing , on dirt no problems.......
First, excuse my lack of knowledge regard the durango chassis.. but this may help you, or anyone running a car with this type of shock layout.

Anytime I run a 4wd that has the upper shock mounting bolts threaded toward the front through a graphite plate tower (like some Durango's), on any super high grip, or very hard surface, I always used to make certain the shock bolts themselves were shortened to not protrude past the shock retainer nuts at all. This stopped any chance in the event of a roll over of the threaded end of the protruding bolt from catching the surface and ripping the tower 'ears' off.
I also always changed to the most rounded shock retainer nut I could get, again giving less for the surface to get hold of if the car goes all chassis up..

Another tip.. I always have a few graphite towers in this situation, and each one is trimmed to suit a specific shock mount position.
So the tower used for the inner most shock mount position, has the outer two holes cut off, and the tower shaped back to as close to the top of the shock as possible.. Then cut and shape one the same way (less one hole) for the middle shock mount position, then a standard uncut tower for the final outer position.

And I'm guessing you would have done this.. But are you fully sealing the edges of the graphite towers with CA glue? As if this is not done, any plate graphite part is much more venerable to breakage.

..or if it is just from slamming a jump, then there is not much that can be done
Old 05-26-2013, 04:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 'Paris'
Basically our chassis are not homologated items, so as long as they meet the height, width, length and weight requirements, along with rwd/4wd format etc, then there would be no issue.

Are durango's that bad??
No it"s just marks a harsh driver
Old 05-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Tech Regular

Guys /girls..........

Selling my 3 x times trophy winning Hobao TT
Roller + upgrades parts + proline power shocks + spring kit + Ball Caps Upgrade..
$180.00 ono

Will sell as complete running sc8 + 5.5t + 1258 Savox
pm me if interested ........
$280.00 ono

Make way for my xb4.....HA HA
I"ll be doing the same I think.no trophy winner thou so $20 cheaper
Old 05-26-2013, 05:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default roar approved

can anyone tell me what a roar approved batteries are.
is the capacity limited to race at major events.i know they have to be hard case. need to buy new ones.

les
Old 05-26-2013, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Paris .....will admit not using ca glue on the graphite towers / this maybe my problem...? Weak spot where the shock bolts in , at the top , found even after a roll over , slight tear in the graphite happenning , then about 3 runs later , just seems to snap under no pressure . Was thinking maybe , getting a plate made , running from top to top of shocks .,placing it behind the graphite tower .... see if that would help ...

Shorty your tt , hasnt seen dirt matey .......
Old 05-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mambo61
is the capacity limited to race at major events.i know they have to be hard case. need to buy new ones.

les

Hi Les,

Battery list is class dependant.

But as an example: 2wd / 4wd / SCT 2wd and ST for 1/10 in modified / 10.5 / stock / 21.5 motor classes in Australia must use a ROAR approved 2 cell (7.4v) battery.

There are ROAR approval listings on the ROAR website...

...I could link to it for you if my phone would work properly.. Damn!

Anyhow, it basically governs battery size and output, and keeps a level playing field.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mambo61

les

Here is the ROAR list, has cheapies right through to the outrageously expensive!

http://www.roarracing.org/?page_id=259
Old 05-26-2013, 06:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Paris .....will admit not using ca glue on the graphite towers / this maybe my problem...? Weak spot where the shock bolts in , at the top , found even after a roll over , slight tear in the graphite happenning , then about 3 runs later , just seems to snap under no pressure . Was thinking maybe , getting a plate made , running from top to top of shocks .,placing it behind the graphite tower .... see if that would help ...
I'd definitely try CA around all the outer edges first off. It stops the graphite layers from delaminating under force.

But rather than using metal, as when metal flexes it retains the bend, where graphite returns to its fabricated form (unless broken), you could cut the top 1/3 off another tower and use the shock bolts (longer if required) to mount it to the top 1/3 of the mounted tower. This way effectively making the top mounting portion of the tower 4mm thick. It also will still allow both towers to flex, but while adding a heap of strength to that area, and retaining the standard mount position.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mister_g
Here is the ROAR list, has cheapies right through to the outrageously expensive!

..Or you could always not even look through the list, and go straight for the best available..! Just pick up a few of the Awesome(!!!) Fantom Pro-Series ROAR approved LiPo packs from: www.fantomracing.com

They come in stick, saddle and shorty..

Shameless sponsor plug!!
Old 05-26-2013, 06:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hyper Sean
Might be more driver error mark.
Originally Posted by 'Paris'
..or if it is just from slamming a jump, then there is not much that can be done
Originally Posted by meb4u
No it"s just marks a harsh driver
I saw Marks car cartwheeling like it had just jumped off the 10 meter tower tower in celebrity splash, It would have broken the front tower even if it was 5mm plate steel
Old 05-26-2013, 07:16 PM
Tech Regular

WOW, been off a few days and had an hours reading..!!

Just to update that the Gawler River clay loam is being delivered tommorrow (Tuesday) But I think we will hold off on actually using too much until the following week, given racing is this weekend.. But there are still a few repairs needing done so we will get this done before the weekend..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.