Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Regs for f1 racing in oz

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 05:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Which wheels are suitable for f104? Want to make sure I can get them before I commit to an f104.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Minimal rules keep it fun with KISS applied.

Open F1 chassi with possibly a 200ish mm width restriction, open tyres as there are many different configurations.

I would also allow F201's running in RWD.

Same power plant silver can, 21.5 ect and I would be fine with gearing restrictions.

At least to start with let people run what they bring, if they turn up and are lapping the field with a 230mm pan car with a F1 style body then sure have a talk to them but if they are running at the tale end to mid pack with a F102, corrally ect then let them be.

If numbers grow the class could be divided into a begginner and expert classes with expert having more define regs

Last edited by frozenpod; 06-25-2012 at 06:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-25-2012, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by matrix101
Which wheels are suitable for f104? Want to make sure I can get them before I commit to an f104.
Well obviously Tamiya has a selection... but I know of Ride, TRG and Zen all making wheels for the F104 that are reasonably easy to get... Zen also make a range of pre-mounted foams if that is your want.

Hopefully as the interest goes up local shops will carry more
Old 06-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Badman Racer
8 x 5mm bearing are no good in the hub. Have you guys tried F10 hubs, you just need to ream out the pivot balls to 1/8" and use a 1/8" king pin. The HPI knuckles run a 10 x 5mm bearing, much better. Or run Tammy front knuckles/tires. Slop gone either way
Yes , the stock bearings are pretty ordinary. I have gone to Tamiya steering blocks - movement gooooooone !!!
Old 06-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShadowAu
Well obviously Tamiya has a selection... but I know of Ride, TRG and Zen all making wheels for the F104 that are reasonably easy to get... Zen also make a range of pre-mounted foams if that is your want.

Hopefully as the interest goes up local shops will carry more
Thanks for the info, are available locally or O/S?
Old 06-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Tech Master

Pretty sure m-chassis.com is carrying the Ride Rims and tyres and the TRG rims, as well as Shizmu tyres... Zen is only available O/s as far as I am aware but others may know different or more... I don't know how local that is to you but at least its an Australian based store
Old 06-25-2012, 09:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Try Walter rc Hobbies for the ride rims
Old 06-25-2012, 10:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

If it is a f104 you simply want shimizu rubber tyres. ps-0571 front, ps-0575 rear, or 572 if it gets above 25 degrees track temperature. If it is the middle a summer day then zen foams. Started getting cool before I settled on a combo for the foams though. Tamiya foams worked well too in the hot weather.

Tamiya tyres may work as an alternative on those 30+ degree days. They require a fair bit of heat to get working.

Ride rears work well. Fronts seem to understeer from everyone I've heard who has used them.

Those who I know who have tried rides and tamiyas though end up with shimizu's in the end.

I get mine from rcmart so unfortunately can't comment on local availability.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:44 PM
PDR
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Give Dennis at Powerhouse Performance a call. In addition to running one himself, he carries a range of F104 bits. They're in Ultimo (Sydney).
Old 06-25-2012, 10:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

WSRC @ Riverstone sell Ride rims and tyres . That's where mine came from
Old 06-30-2012, 11:11 PM
Tech Master

I am probably flogging a horse no one is really interested in anymore but it occurred to me last night, as I was working on one of my F109's that we should probably be careful setting width limits. I remember that my f103LM had been 205mm wide and I grabbed the ruler and measured my current F109 - 203mm... but then I realised that both chassis are/were using rubber tyres... fitted a set of foams and bang - 200mm.

I then went through my wheel and tyre box and measured the different combos I have at the moment and my Shizmu tyres which are fitted to foam rims all come to 200mm but the same tyre on a Ride or TRG rim are all slightly over 200mm and its all because they have the lip around the outside to hold the tyre on. It could be argued just get rid of the lip, but if you are using Ride or TRG tyres they need the lip. Shizmu tyres have been expressly designed to be glued to foam tyre rims.

Maybe it needs to be along the mini rules.. as long as the width is in the ball park and using F1 specific wheels and tyres... or you might need different widths for foam or rubber but I think that's going to get messy.

Probably overly verbose but something that needs to be kept in mind by those making rules
Old 07-01-2012, 02:35 AM
Tech Addict

Some really good points being made in terms of rules.

We are running a multi-track event in Victoria with rules being basically open at this stage and a points handicap to give the slower motors a chance. Follow the link from our website.

Somebody said in an earlier post that it may make sense not to be too restrictive with rules until participation in the class increases. I think that's right in the short term. But I'm also hopeful that the class will grow quickly which will in turn drive the demand for a consistent set of rules. Either way, with interest in this class taking off it's a great time to be racing F1!

This is a very useful thread and when the time comes for consistent national rules there are a lot of excellent ideas here that should be worked in.

In terms of where to buy tyres and parts the new RC Formula1 website (launched yesterday) has links to both Aus and overseas stores as well as tips and info on everything else RC F1 related. www.rcformula1.com.au
Old 07-01-2012, 02:45 AM

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

It would be great to get a set of national rules/regs for an f1 class. Nothing worse than traveling interstate to race and find out u can't run this and you could have run that.
Here are our f1 rules that we will be running to at our south australia state titles

Any F1 rear wheel drive chassis only including the sakura fgx
Allowed is the f201 4wd also as long as the front driveshafts are removed for racing.

Any hopups allowed to a specific car by any manufacturer (no hybrid homemade hopups allowed) including body modifications.

Any esc allowed but has to be run in blinky mode (no motor timing adjustment allowed via esc). Any 21.5 brushless motor allowed as well as timing adjustment via motor only.
Non fixed gear ratio.
No higher than 6000mah capacity batteries allowed

Rubber tires to be used only without the use of tire warmers. Traction additives are allowed to be used.*

Last edited by shano83; 07-01-2012 at 03:20 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shano83
It would be great to get a set of national rules/regs for an f1 class. Nothing worse than traveling interstate to race and find out u can't run this and you could have run that.
Here are our f1 rules that we will be running to at our state titles

Any F1 rear wheel drive chassis only including the sakura fgx
Allowed is the f201 4wd also as long as the front driveshafts are removed for racing.

Any hopups allowed to a specific car by any manufacturer (no hybrid homemade hopups allowed) including body modifications.

Any esc allowed but has to be run in blinky mode (no motor timing adjustment allowed via esc). Any 21.5 brushless motor allowed as well as timing adjustment via motor only.
Non fixed gear ratio.
No higher than 6000mah capacity batteries allowed

Rubber tires to be used only without the use of tire warmers. Traction additives are allowed to be used.*
I'm curious the reasoning for the following parts of the rules:

No higher than 6000mah capacity batteries
No tire warmers but you can use additive.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:19 AM

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

Originally Posted by J-PaP
I'm curious the reasoning for the following parts of the rules:

No higher than 6000mah capacity batteries
No tire warmers but you can use additive.
Not sure about the capacity on batteries but the Warmers, well we trying to make it cost friendly to beginners and etc to get the class built up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.