1/10 F1 racing OZ style

Old 10-30-2011, 04:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

A fw of us over here in WA are thinking about getting these from feral batteries and creating a class. Rules pretty simple, one car only, one esc/motor, ride rubber tyres. Cna't get much simpler than that... we'll see how it goes...

I just ordered mine so looking forward to getting it and seeing what happens.

Anyone have any thoughts on motor/esc combos for this car? Don't want super fast, moderate pace, something that the car handles well and controllable... aim of the game is to have relaxed controllable close racing...

Only concern i have at this stage is the ride rubbers seem to come in very soft compounds... here in Perth our outdoor ashphalt track heats up quite well in the warmer months and the guys who run soft compound shimizus don't seem to have too much luck with them, where as the tamiya medium f104 rubbers seem to work excellent.

Anyone that has a FGX have any thoughts on this?

Last edited by LordAnubis; 10-30-2011 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LordAnubis View Post
A fw of us over here in aus are thinking about getting these from feral batteries and creating a class. Rules pretty simple, one car only, one esc/motor, ride rubber tyres. Cna't get much simpler than that... we'll see how it goes...

I just ordered mine so looking forward to getting it and seeing what happens.

Anyone have any thoughts on motor/esc combos for this car? Don't want super fast, moderate pace, something that the car handles well and controllable... aim of the game is to have relaxed controllable close racing...

Only concern i have at this stage is the ride rubbers seem to come in very soft compounds... here in Perth our outdoor ashphalt track heats up quite well in the warmer months and the guys who run soft compound shimizus don't seem to have too much luck with them, where as the tamiya medium f104 rubbers seem to work excellent.

Anyone that has a FGX have any thoughts on this?
We are thinking of going really simple and using the Hobbywing Justock ESC (non timed) and the Hobbywing 17.5 (fixed timing)
Old 10-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have been running the hobbywing 13t system that the minis run in my f104 for a while now. It works great in my f1 and is cheap and easy to get
Old 10-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I would probably second the 13turn, 35aesc combo used in the mini class.
Seems like that is a good fixed option that is reasonably cheap and easy to get.
Havent run it in mine yet, might pull it out of the mini and try it
Old 10-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ace955 View Post
I have been running the hobbywing 13t system that the minis run in my f104 for a while now. It works great in my f1 and is cheap and easy to get
The only issue with the Mini system is that it can be geared up quite high so that the F1 can be very fast which will mean more breakages etc.

The HW Justock ESC and motor can be bought for not much more
Old 10-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The thing i like about f1 here ,is the relaxed motor and speedy rules. There is only so much power you can put down with these in general, before you break out the rear end.

I geared my f104 up at Penrith with the mini combo, mainly to soften the bottom end, pulled the throttle e.p.a back to 60% and added some exponential as well. It was driveable, despite the poor surface grip .
I have no doubt that a zero timed , sensored motor would give better low end control. The 17.5s spoken about will still get up and go quite hard. In the States , they use 21.5 blinky , together with 540 .

I personally like the sound of a 21.5 boosted and timing advance on the can. This should be nice and gentle in the slower, tighter turns, while getting along at an entertaining speed on the straights.

This is what i will go with , when i pick up an fgx in the future.
Being flexible on power systems allows people to use what they already have lying around. The goal is getting people in, as racing two other guys isnt much fun.......
Old 10-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RedBullRacing View Post
The thing i like about f1 here ,is the relaxed motor and speedy rules. There is only so much power you can put down with these in general, before you break out the rear end.

I geared my f104 up at Penrith with the mini combo, mainly to soften the bottom end, pulled the throttle e.p.a back to 60% and added some exponential as well. It was driveable, despite the poor surface grip .
I have no doubt that a zero timed , sensored motor would give better low end control. The 17.5s spoken about will still get up and go quite hard. In the States , they use 21.5 blinky , together with 540 .

I personally like the sound of a 21.5 boosted and timing advance on the can. This should be nice and gentle in the slower, tighter turns, while getting along at an entertaining speed on the straights.

This is what i will go with , when i pick up an fgx in the future.
Being flexible on power systems allows people to use what they already have lying around. The goal is getting people in, as racing two other guys isnt much fun.......
21.5 boosted will produce a lot more power and torque than a completely untimed system
Old 10-31-2011, 12:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cannon View Post
21.5 boosted will produce a lot more power and torque than a completely untimed system
Agree that zero/zero will be pretty gentle. I was thinking more of turbo only setup,with a decent delay time , rather than active boost plus turbo.
So gear for the infield with zero boost, then get a small kick of turbo half way down the longest straight.
SMA seem to have a decent f1 fraternity, with a mixture of 540/21.5 /17.5/ mini 13t, all racing together nicely.
I'm pretty sure that guys running 540s still compete pretty well at CH as well. I'm sure one of them can chime in on that subject.

At Whalan of course , you would definitely want some more speed !!
Old 10-31-2011, 12:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Keep in mind the HW system is actually a smaller motor than usual with a heatsink to take it out to the same diameter as a 540. I haven't actually weighed it, but I would think it is much lighter than a normal motor. That's something that I think could be an issue for pan car chassis -- your tweak and handling characteristics are going to be different.

There was a guy at our club using one in 12th, and he's been doing much better since he swapped to a normal motor. That's just anecdotal evidence though. I'm not sure whether the motor was his problem, but I have a hunch it was.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:19 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cannon View Post
The only issue with the Mini system is that it can be geared up quite high so that the F1 can be very fast which will mean more breakages etc.

The HW Justock ESC and motor can be bought for not much more
I agree with cannon we should just stick with a decent motor and esc combo coz its al about getting ppl into it and having fun racing rather than try to outdo its other on whos got more boost, turbo and fastest on the straight . if you want to have low turn motor then get a 12th scale or bolt in mod motor on a tourer.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Badman Racer View Post
Considering Greg has sold all of his first order of FGX's before they even get here says to me that this will be a popular car. There has also been a lot of talk about control motor/esc at a really good price.
Independent rear suspension
Rear toe adjustment
Oil filled gear diff
Inboard rear suspension like the 1:1
Cheap
Badman......should reignite the 2WD series back can add the F1 class
with the current class mini, 12thscale, 1/10th Pan car,FWD tc
Old 10-31-2011, 04:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Set motor combo's

At logan city Rcc (Meakin park,qld) the rules are at the moment F1 pan car type (3racing 109,tech racing 125,Tamiya 103 &104 plus the corally ngf1) but with open speedies for 540 grey can & possibly 27 turn? brushed, open speedies for brushless 21.5 & 17.5. A field of 6-8 racers of a fortnightly wedensday night meet, plus once a month on a sat.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TRF4evr View Post
Badman......should reignite the 2WD series back can add the F1 class
with the current class mini, 12thscale, 1/10th Pan car,FWD tc
Albert I need ur pan car I'm winning that series
Old 10-31-2011, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

does anyone have an idea on what the best tyres to use for outdoor asphalt med traction, for the FGX? Hard fronts, softer soft rears?
Old 10-31-2011, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

That's what i'd like to know too hacker. From the experience on my track in WA with other guys who run shimizu softs, they work well i ncold weather but now coming into summer the tyres go off after about 3 laps...

In any case feral batteries only has the super softs rears so thats what i ordered... will see how it goes when i get my beast

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service