Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
1/10 F1 racing OZ style >

1/10 F1 racing OZ style

Like Tree25Likes

1/10 F1 racing OZ style

Old 02-27-2019, 02:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Hugh Jazz

There were a few but it has died out just like everyone else. The last club meet before the recent state tiles I think there might of been one or two.
Why isn't F1 very popular? Are they too hard to drive, too expensive? I mean there's tons of F1 fans out there why doesn't it translate to rc? Cheers
Old 02-27-2019, 09:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ANILE8R
Why isn't F1 very popular? Are they too hard to drive, too expensive? I mean there's tons of F1 fans out there why doesn't it translate to rc? Cheers
Start reading at post 641

It was always wrong for me to see a scale f1 car being overtaken by a mini, or a 21.5 touring car I think if f1s were 4wd 13.5 it would explode in popularity
Someone get on that will ya
Old 02-28-2019, 07:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DanOK

It was always wrong for me to see a scale f1 car being overtaken by a mini, or a 21.5 touring car I think if f1s were 4wd 13.5 it would explode in popularity
Tamiya had a 4WD F1. It was not popular, the purists hated it because it wasn't RWD.
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RCformula1
A big thank you to everyone for their ideas and feedback, both on this forum and those who messaged me.

In summary:
  • Existing racers will move in and out of F1. Any non-core class numbers tend to fluctuate.
  • F1 started as a fairly low-cost class but is now well serviced by major manufacturers with carbon fibre and alloy bling kits which sell for an appropriately higher price tag.
  • F1 no longer has an RTR kit (such as the old Tamiya F104 Pro RTR).
  • The scale looks and excitement of full-scale F1 is a big drawcard.
  • New drivers are needed to sustain the class. Attracting new racers is key.
RC Formula1 has a plan to assist with attracting new drivers - F1 is in the enviable position of being based on the most popular full-scale motorsport in the world. We need to reach these fans and let them know about RC F1.

We have organised the Essential RC F1 Big Bash in Melbourne on Sat 6 April (details here) - timed to feed off the excitement of the Melbourne Grand Prix.

In addition to promoting the event through the normal RC event channels, we are using the sponsorship funds to advertise the event to full-scale F1 fans who live in Melbourne using Facebook advertising.

As a bonus we get to have a whole lot of fun with a dedicated F1 event!

Please check out the event thread and share with everyone you know who has an F1 (including those who have an F1 but don't race, as this is not a race meeting but a fun bash event). If anyone wants to run their own event in other states that would be great!
As an update on this initiative - in less than 10 days we have 28 confirmed entries plus 48 interested on Facebook (Facebook event link). Of the 28 entries: 10 are people I've never heard of, 2 are regular RC racers who haven't raced F1 before. I understand that 6 of these are looking to buy F1 cars before the event. So far we've spent $135 on Facebook advertising using the criteria Men aged 21-65+ who live within 25 miles of Melbourne and are interested in "Formula One". The event ad has reached 5,666 people and our event link has been clicked on 241 times (from the people reached via advertising). With 5 weeks until the event I'm very hopeful that this is only the beginning.

So RC F1 is not dead by any means. We just need to get new people excited and involved in the hobby!
ShadowAu, RaZz0R and PDR like this.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Then they'd just be a touring car with a different body so what would be the point? - F1's could handle a lot more power if people weren't so enamoured with rubber tyres and lazy track prep. I've seen F1's on a good track handle a 10.5 without much fuss; in Japan they run mod so don't blame the chassis.

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Tamiya had a 4WD F1. It was not popular, the purists hated it because it wasn't RWD.
Mmm I think you'll find the actual reason they weren't popular was because they were noisy and slow compared to the more "traditional" F1 and if you tried to put faster motors in them they tended to destroy bits of themselves rather quickly
Old 03-01-2019, 09:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RaZz0R
I'll report back how it goes then
So the FGX Evo - have nothing to compare to nor another F1 to compare to... BUT

Felt easy to drive
very direct
Can see some parts are a little weak - ie slapped it side ways in to a barrier and broke a turnbuckle ball connection

I have since got two kits coming to me for the misses and our Son as well Hoping to get some racing done at tftr
PDR and RCformula1 like this.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:16 PM
Tech Addict

As an update on this initiative - in less than 10 days we have 28 confirmed entries plus 48 interested on Facebook (Facebook event link). Of the 28 entries: 10 are people I've never heard of, 2 are regular RC racers who haven't raced F1 before. I understand that 6 of these are looking to buy F1 cars before the event. So far we've spent $135 on Facebook advertising using the criteria Men aged 21-65+ who live within 25 miles of Melbourne and are interested in "Formula One". The event ad has reached 5,666 people and our event link has been clicked on 241 times (from the people reached via advertising). With 5 weeks until the event I'm very hopeful that this is only the beginning.

So RC F1 is not dead by any means. We just need to get new people excited and involved in the hobby!
Update - after spending $320 in advertising we now have 53 entries (plus another 67 interested on Facebook) with just over 4 weeks to go. This concept is working better than I'd imagined. Why not organise something similar in your city? It is not hard to get $320 in sponsorship money from the local hobby shop and I'd be happy to share my experiences.
RaZz0R likes this.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:35 PM
Tech Addict

The Essential RC F1 Big Bash was held on Saturday and here is the event report and pics: http://rcformula1.com.au/index.php/a...X-4n1_naxQNHVg

Final numbers were: 27 drivers entered plus 41 spectators registered = 68 total registrations. Spectators wandered in and out all day rather than arriving at one time. A few drivers were new to F1 and have said they will come to the next club day. We offered free test drives with an instructor (at 50% throttle) and although we had 4 people registered for this, only 1 fronted up. He enjoyed it and said he will start racing.

So, overall a successful event that has hopefully started the process of reinvigorating F1 in Victoria.
Wazza22 and Scott_T like this.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Big thank you to Dave for setting up and running the event. It was a really fun day, learning lots and checking out all the different cars.

I also had the thought today to give my final thoughts on the 3 Racing FGX Evo 2018.

End the end for the bash day I managed to get a Speed Passion SP1.1 chassis, 2 x Streetjam FJ01's and of course the FGX Evo.
I had two weeks of learning to set them up and get them working. And learn I did haha

The first thing I noticed was next to the pan style F1's with direct drive, the FGX was going to suffer with an on-road 21.5t motor eg; Speed Passion 21.5t
And I saw this right away next to the Speed passion. So I decided to throw in a 21.5t Team powers motor from RAB hobbies as I know it has mountains of torque which would be good for pushing the extra gearing in the FGX.
This was so true that I had to really turn down the timing on the TP 21.5t and set the power in the esc for punch to be the softest. Other wise when you tried to lay down power it just spun the rear tires. (ESC is a hobbywing 60amp stock jobby for blinky)
Since the gearing setup is fairly well set spur wise I ended up using a 36t pinion on it and set ride height to 4.5mm at the rear and 5mm at the front. Pits soft front and rear.

On the bash day I had a crack at the FGX as well as the Speed passion in what times I could pull - the Speed Passion however had medium fronts and soft rears, really should have put on the soft fronts, but in the end the best lap times I could pull with the
FGX and the SP1.1 were 0.03 diff I couldn't believe that - I figured the FGX was getting left behind - but nope.

I am sure with someone more experienced in on-road \ F1 setups could have got it rocking along a bit better; but for me it showed that the FGX could indeed keep up with the pan style cars no problem at all.

The FGX actually proved to be a fairly strong car, taking multi slide slaps in to barriers etc. and in terms of the build and setup - it actually gave me less problems then the Sp1.1 and SJf01 cars.
The oil gear diff the FGX has I think really helps compare to getting the ball diff just right. I got to find out how much one not being right can hurt the direct drive cars. also just how much the right spur gear with the right holes for the ball diff really are too.
Having to undo the top deck to change lipos on the pan cars vs the open slot design of the FGX really suxed lol the FGX really wins hands down for me there. Mainly because of risk of stripping out the posts. (For me anyways)

I also found over all the FGX easier to setup and drive. and for the price point of about 145aud for the kit - it makes it a fairly good choice... IMO. Could it have cut 19 second laps, no idea, Could I? haha probly not. but I do believe it could have gone faster in different hands and different setup for sure at TFTR I managed to get it to clock a 21.8(I think) which was much better than I expected. Could almost do a 3 Racing FXG class lol team powers 21.5t with the 36t pinion and pit tires. haha
Old 04-10-2019, 03:04 AM
Tech Addict

Big thank you to Dave for setting up and running the event. It was a really fun day, learning lots and checking out all the different cars.

I also had the thought today to give my final thoughts on the 3 Racing FGX Evo 2018.

Pits soft front and rear.
Thanks Chris.

Did you buy Pit Shimizu 566 front soft and 568 rear soft, for the FGX? If so from where please? Or did you manage to somehow fit the F104 tyres on FGX rims? Or something else? Thanks
Old 04-10-2019, 05:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Chris.

Did you buy Pit Shimizu 566 front soft and 568 rear soft, for the FGX? If so from where please? Or did you manage to somehow fit the F104 tyres on FGX rims? Or something else? Thanks
I did a fair bit of reading and found f201 and hpi blitz rims fit - but in the end I order the following from rcmart with rims for the fgx. Turns out the rears are out of stock there now too.
Ebay and others however do have them listed. I saw Pit Shimizu are going under and saw that schumacher are going to pick them up and keep producing tires. So no idea on the future for it.
That so far seem's to be the FGX's only main down fall. other solutions included getting a hex to fit the Tamy rims but the off sets all wrong.

Shimizu Racing F1 Rear Slick #PS-0568
Shimizu Racing F1 Front Slick Tire Medium #PS-0567
for 3racing Sakura FGX), #FGX-120 ,(FGX-120) by 3Racing Front Wheel
for 3racing Sakura FGX), #FGX-121 ,(FGX-121) by 3Racing Rear Wheel
Old 04-11-2019, 12:08 AM
Tech Addict

That so far seem's to be the FGX's only main down fall. other solutions included getting a hex to fit the Tamy rims but the off sets all wrong.

Shimizu Racing F1 Rear Slick #PS-0568
Shimizu Racing F1 Front Slick Tire Medium #PS-0567
for 3racing Sakura FGX), #FGX-120 ,(FGX-120) by 3Racing Front Wheel
for 3racing Sakura FGX), #FGX-121 ,(FGX-121) by 3Racing Rear Wheel
Thanks Chris. Yes, I agree that the wheels are the FGX's achilles heel, unfortunately. Otherwise a very cost effective car.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Fgx tires!
Rubber Tires
Ride Japan*
No. 24005 Front - Medium
No.24006 Front - Hard
No. 24007 Rear - Med
No. 24008 Front - Super Soft
No. 24009 Front - Soft
No. 24010 Rear - Super Soft

Shimizu F1 tires
PS-0561 Front F3-Soft Grooved Tire FGX / HPI F10
PS-0563 Front F3-Medium Grooved Tire FGX / HPI F10
PS-0565 Rear Grooved Tire FGX / HPI F10

HPI F1 tires
102907 Bridgestone High Grip FT01 Slick Tire Soft,Rear: F10 / FGX
102906 Bridgestone High Grip FT01 Slick Tire Soft,Front: F10 / FGX
103017 Bridgestone High Grip FT01 Slick Tire Medium Rear 2pcs: F10 / FGX
103016 Bridgestone High Grip FT01 Slick Tire Medium Front 2pcs: F10 / FGX

Taken from: https://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/product_view.asp?p_id=2287
Old 09-02-2019, 02:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What size capacity/weight battery are people running please?
Outdoor asphalt medium grip
Is lighter better always?
Old 09-03-2019, 11:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

What size capacity/weight battery are people running please?
Outdoor asphalt medium grip
Is lighter better always?
I am running 5500mah packs - not sure on weight... about 143g?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.