R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Australian Racing (https://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing-29/)
-   -   1/10 F1 racing OZ style (https://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/561507-1-10-f1-racing-oz-style.html)

Radio Active 01-29-2019 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by gigaplex (Post 15385365)
That's how Boronia run their club meets, and how TFTR and SERCCC tend to run their Summer Night racing series. No qualifiers, only heads up racing. You start where you finished last race.

We did that for years at Maitland. At one point things switched because that's what everyone was doing. We had a vote and club races went back to all grid starts. We raced like that for 3 years and everyone had fun, then two people didn't realise they had to keep racing until they were called finished at a state round, and so they pushed us to go back staggered club races again for "practice".

So, what am I trying to say? 1. Racing grid starts is more fun, people would rather do that. 2. There is always pressure to replicate what happens at big meetings at club level.

RaZz0R 01-30-2019 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hugh Jazz (Post 15378781)
So problems with F1.
Price. Back when F1 started to make a comeback due to ETS most people were running a F103 of F104 and some even had the 3 racing FGX. You could pick them up for a couple hundred bucks. They were cheap and you couldn't really do much setup wise to them. Ideal cheap second class..

So much truth! I recently thought - heh - wouldn't mind trying an F1 on road, I am not far away from Boronia or Lillydale 1.8th... Thought - hey maybe there is a 1/8th F1 scale car.... mm, no not really.
OK well 1/10th for Boronia.. cheaper for 1/10th anyway.. oh wait...

I first found those 3 Racing cars (Used 3 racing stuff on my off roads cars) and then the F103\104 - only 140 ~ 200 for the car! Awesome! Thats cheap enough to "Give it ago" I thought...
Oh wait.. then tires... tire warmers... goop? mm, started to add up then this;

"Budget kits are a great way into F1, and to have fun, but don't expect to win races with them."

Why?
Well because name brand TC makers got turned around and made some - but if there were a budget F1 racing only that would rock.

PDR 01-30-2019 09:10 PM

The 3Racing F109, with a careful hand in both setup and driving was quite the weapon and cheap-as. Tyres are 90+% of the key to success with F1 on most of our outdoor tracks. Over time, the only thing I did before a meet was to clean the tyres and pretty much left them alone during an event. They got into their groove with the surface and I let them be. Carpet is a different story, but that's not common in these 'ere parts.

The whole driving standards thing is a massive issue, but principally OT. Needs a thread of its own.

The core issue remains attracting and retaining people who want to run any given class. There's a type of RC racer that will race anything, but gets bored after a while and switch to something different. Doesn't matter what it is. I imagine FWD TC will pop its head up again at some point. I don't see how you can change that, but I'll concede it may be possible. It's kinda chicken and egg. Good regular showings will beget good regular showings.

Attracting new racers is a challenge across all classes. RC F1 cars look really cool, but are not really setup for first-timers. Lower cost kits with grippy tracks and slower motors help with that segment, but raises issues for seasoned pedallers/wheelers.

For me, it's a question of time both on and off the track. There's not a lot of time at club meets to run two classes and I get very little time/space at home to do the stuff I should do between meets. Much like the previous point, more racers will mean more races, which means more racers.

Phil.

RaZz0R 01-31-2019 03:07 PM

I had a good look at the 3 Racing FGX2018 Evo kit which can be had from RC Mart for about 140ish - Thinking I might grab one and a 21.5t setup and give it ago :)

PDR 01-31-2019 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by RaZz0R (Post 15386674)
I had a good look at the 3 Racing FGX2018 Evo kit which can be had from RC Mart for about 140ish - Thinking I might grab one and a 21.5t setup and give it ago :)

It's a cool kit, but bear in mind that it's not a pan-style chassis (not an issue in itself, IMO), but gearing may or may not be an issue for 21.5 on larger tracks. I *think* it's got an internal ratio of 2.7

RaZz0R 01-31-2019 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by PDR (Post 15386707)
It's a cool kit, but bear in mind that it's not a pan-style chassis (not an issue in itself, IMO), but gearing may or may not be an issue for 21.5 on larger tracks. I *think* it's got an internal ratio of 2.7

I'll report back how it goes then :D

RCformula1 02-01-2019 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by PDR (Post 15386707)

3Racing lengthened the chassis by 10mm in the motor area to allow for a larger range of gearing options. I believe you're correct Phil, it retains the 2.7 internal ratio of the 2012 FGX.

The biggest issue, in my opinion, is trying to find tyres for it as it doesn't use F104 wheels. Ride have the tyres but you'll need to shop around to find them.

PDR 02-01-2019 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by RCformula1 (Post 15386917)
The biggest issue, in my opinion, is trying to find tyres for it as it doesn't use F104 wheels. Ride have the tyres but you'll need to shop around to find them.

Urgh, that's not pretty. I'd forgotten about that. Will the Shimizu's mount on these: for 3racing Sakura FGX), #FGX-120 ,(FGX-120) by 3Racing Front Wheel

RCformula1 02-02-2019 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by PDR (Post 15386950)
Urgh, that's not pretty. I'd forgotten about that. Will the Shimizu's mount on these: for 3racing Sakura FGX), #FGX-120 ,(FGX-120) by 3Racing Front Wheel

They might. If anyone tries it please let me know and I'll update our FGX Tyres page: http://rcformula1.com.au/index.php/t...tyres-f103-fgx

RCformula1 02-19-2019 05:25 PM

A big thank you to everyone for their ideas and feedback, both on this forum and those who messaged me.

In summary:
  • Existing racers will move in and out of F1. Any non-core class numbers tend to fluctuate.
  • F1 started as a fairly low-cost class but is now well serviced by major manufacturers with carbon fibre and alloy bling kits which sell for an appropriately higher price tag.
  • F1 no longer has an RTR kit (such as the old Tamiya F104 Pro RTR).
  • The scale looks and excitement of full-scale F1 is a big drawcard.
  • New drivers are needed to sustain the class. Attracting new racers is key.
RC Formula1 has a plan to assist with attracting new drivers - F1 is in the enviable position of being based on the most popular full-scale motorsport in the world. We need to reach these fans and let them know about RC F1.

We have organised the Essential RC F1 Big Bash in Melbourne on Sat 6 April (details here) - timed to feed off the excitement of the Melbourne Grand Prix.

In addition to promoting the event through the normal RC event channels, we are using the sponsorship funds to advertise the event to full-scale F1 fans who live in Melbourne using Facebook advertising.

As a bonus we get to have a whole lot of fun with a dedicated F1 event!

Please check out the event thread and share with everyone you know who has an F1 (including those who have an F1 but don't race, as this is not a race meeting but a fun bash event). If anyone wants to run their own event in other states that would be great!

ANILE8R 02-24-2019 03:01 PM

Canberra f1

Any F1 racers in Canberra?

ANILE8R 02-25-2019 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by ANILE8R (Post 15401952)
Any F1 racers in Canberra?

Either this thread is dead or there's no F1 racers in Canberra......?

PDR 02-25-2019 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by ANILE8R (Post 15402541)

I think their FB page might be more frequented: https://www.facebook.com/groups/7164877321/

Hugh Jazz 02-25-2019 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by ANILE8R (Post 15402541)

There were a few but it has died out just like everyone else. The last club meet before the recent state tiles I think there might of been one or two.

ANILE8R 02-27-2019 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Hugh Jazz (Post 15402704)

There were a few but it has died out just like everyone else. The last club meet before the recent state tiles I think there might of been one or two.

Yeah, I went to the Canberra club meet last Sunday at kambah. There was no one racing F1. The guy said he'd run it for the books if I wanted. I suppose it's a free ticket to the Australian champs lol

But it would be better for some regular races.

The guys at kambah mostly race touring class