1/10 F1 racing OZ style

Old 05-28-2015, 11:14 PM
Tech Adept

Last edited by Blui3; 09-20-2015 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Deleted
Old 07-25-2015, 12:29 AM
Tech Addict

To celebrate our 3rd anniversary as the most read RC F1 website we've added a lot of new content and updated many of the most popular pages.

www.rcformula1.com.au

Thanks to all of our readers who have sent in positive feedback on the update.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:03 AM
Tech Adept

Video of F1 at Newcastle Grand Prix 15 last Sunday

https://youtu.be/_dUwuB7slPE
Old 09-20-2015, 11:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Sort of vaguely thinking about giving F1 a try.

Anyone have a Tamiya runner they're looking to part ways with?
Old 09-22-2015, 01:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Or an FGX for that matter?
Old 12-20-2015, 05:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Good evening brains trust

I am looking too get into f1 racing in wa

Any assistance with regards to models, parts lists etc would be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance
Old 12-21-2015, 12:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Toddzilla81 View Post

Any assistance with regards to models, parts lists etc would be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance
Start by reading through the buyers guide on RC Formula 1 site

http://www.rcformula1.com.au/index.p...g/buyers-guide

Visit your local race track and speak with the racers on popular F1s and tyres that work at the track. Tyres are as important as the F1 chassis. Wrong tyres and you will have an F1 that may not be drivable.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Toddzilla81 View Post

Thank you in advance
Hey Todd, what part of WA are you in? We run F1s at Rockingham Electric Radio Controlled Car Club. Next meet will be 17th Jan 2016 if you want to check us out. Look us up on facebook.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
Hey Todd, what part of WA are you in? We run F1s at Rockingham Electric Radio Controlled Car Club. Next meet will be 17th Jan 2016 if you want to check us out. Look us up on facebook.
Thank you for the offer, however I am north of the river
Old 08-09-2016, 04:26 AM
Tech Addict

F1 is the demo class for the 2016 Nationals at TFTR in Melbourne.

Entries are open! See you there

http://tftr.org.au/index.php/events/...nationals-2016
Old 01-11-2019, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

Numbers seem to have dropped off in the F1 class in Australia and I’d like to have an open discussion about why people think that’s occurred and any ideas for giving the class a shot in the arm. It’s normal for a class to go through cycles of popularity. For the first time (that I’m aware of) F1 is now an IFMAR World Championship class (won by Jan Rathiesky in 2018). So:

1. Why do you think numbers have dropped off in Australia?

2. Any ideas for increasing the popularity of F1?

Let the discussion commence
Old 01-11-2019, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Numbers have dropped off in a lot of classes, and there seem to be a lot of classes to choose from. Mini, VTA, F1, 4WD mini etc have essentially died off at the club levels and only seem to run at the bigger events as demo classes. But now there are either too many demo classes at these events, or some of the classes just don't run. It's hard to grow classes if they don't run at the club level.

F1 is also one of the harder classes to learn since the other classes have far more traction. It's hard to convince newcomers to stick with it when there are other classes that feel more rewarding a lot sooner. It's the sort of class that the experienced drivers tried out as a second class, but now there are so many alternate TC based classes that they can run instead with their spare car instead of outlaying for a whole new car, they just run those instead.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

+1 to the comments above - too many classes to pick from in a sport that is struggling for numbers in a lot of places.

I actually think becoming a world titles classes is the worse thing that could've happened to F1 - manufacturers are already pushing the development of F1 (the new Serpent is a case in point) and this is only going to get worse with a world title to claim. I already think the current price ranges of kits has gotten too high - when I got re-interested in F1 in about 2011 you could buy a 3Racing F109 for $99... now even a basic kit from most manufacturers is into the $400+ range and most of those kits now seem focused at high grip carpet in standard form.

Finally - something probably a bit controversial but I've said it before - not enough clubs/tracks are willing to do the extra track prep required to help the RWD cars (I include 1/12 in this as well) and, in my less than comprehensive experience, the ones that do tend to have tracks that are larger and classes like F1 (and 21.5 TC in some cases) just don't attract numbers as they feel slow as hell because of the size of the track. Also, the way a lot of clubs run race days has become much more compacted and instead of being flexible with classes and mixing classes to give everyone a chance to race they've taken the route of insisting every class has a minimum number to allow it to run; I've even heard of some clubs insisting on 5 cars minimum at a club day

What can we do about it? Short of some sort of hostile take over all we can do is just keep turning up with them and hope that it keeps generating interest in new people.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:15 PM
Tech Addict

I love F1, but what holds me back mostly is tyres.
If someone came out with a set, front and rear, that works well, not necessarily perfectly, for 95% of tracks and conditions, then I truly think you will get more people.
As it is, you need to have half a dozen different brands and compounds and test and test and test. It's expensive.
with touring car, most tyres work well, in most conditions. Everyone is on the same thing, so even if they aren't working perfectly, it's the same for everyone.
A bad handling touring car is still drivable, a bad F1 is no fun at all.
so my suggestion, and I've bought it up and been knocked for it, is control tyres.
But like real F1, have 2 options for every event. Something that works when it's cold, something different for hot.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
I love F1, but what holds me back mostly is tyres.
If someone came out with a set, front and rear, that works well, not necessarily perfectly, for 95% of tracks and conditions, then I truly think you will get more people.
As it is, you need to have half a dozen different brands and compounds and test and test and test. It's expensive.
with touring car, most tyres work well, in most conditions. Everyone is on the same thing, so even if they aren't working perfectly, it's the same for everyone.
A bad handling touring car is still drivable, a bad F1 is no fun at all.
so my suggestion, and I've bought it up and been knocked for it, is control tyres.
But like real F1, have 2 options for every event. Something that works when it's cold, something different for hot.
FWD Mini has a similar issue with tyres. At the last mini-nats in Bendigo last year, we tried a control tyre to combat the tyre cost issue. It didn't work out very well, most people struggled with them. One guy even ran illegal tyres in the last main just so he could complete the race, and he voluntarily admitted to it afterwards. The control tyres need to be really good for them to work for everyone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service