Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Badman Racer View Post
Here's my new toy.
Looks good Badman
Old 10-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Fantastic pics (once again)
must say after the session on sunday am ordering the fgx tomorrow, so maybe next tuesday can run F1 instead of the sabre fwd

Originally Posted by MrChodes View Post
I visited sma about 3 months ago. Rookie with RC cars, I liked the F1s so that's what I got!
On the first night there were about 4-5 F1s and a WGT.
F104 is most common (180mm) but there is a mix and some pan cars too.
I have a 104 Pro and 2 F104Ws. I run mini combo - Hobbywing 13T/35A ESC in all cars.
Seeing as how I have no idea what I'm doing, I just try out cars on the day and use what works best
Today I found TRG rubbers worked great.

Here's my F1s:
104 Pro (with 103 Foams on the rear)

F104W

F104W with Porsche 962C body and TRG rubbers - todays pick
Old 10-26-2011, 12:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

A few questions about the FGX for those that have them.

- What is the quality of plastic parts like?
- Can a standard tamiya front wing fit onto the FGX?
- Does a normal stick pack battery fit into the car or does it need a small lipo?

Cheers folks.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Default What rims?

Hi guys, I'm wondering what rims suit the shimizu rubber tyres for an F104 pro? As I bought a complete set of ride rims & they don't seem to suit the shimizu rears , do I need to buy the ride tyres to suit the ride rims?
I don't mind paying for a new set of tyres & rims to act as a set of spares,I just wish that I had of known beforehand!
Old 10-26-2011, 03:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shanem6793 View Post
Hi guys, I'm wondering what rims suit the shimizu rubber tyres for an F104 pro? As I bought a complete set of ride rims & they don't seem to suit the shimizu rears , do I need to buy the ride tyres to suit the ride rims?
I don't mind paying for a new set of tyres & rims to act as a set of spares,I just wish that I had of known beforehand!
Shimizu F104 rubber tyres fit the Tamiya rims. You can use the foam rims or rubber rims. If you use the rubber rims you have to dremmel off or cut off the outer lip on the rim. My preference is the rubber rims as they offer more support.

You will need Ride tyres for the Ride rims.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:59 AM
PDR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shanem6793 View Post
If you bought the Shimizus for the F104, they fit on the foam rims that come with the F104 pro. You need to drill a small hole (~3mm) in the rims. It's a little odd, but works ok from all accounts. The Ride tyres really only fit on their rims. It's close on the Tamiya rubber rims, but not close enough

Check out this article: http://www.uf1series.com/_sub_pages/...re_review.html

From my own personal experience, tyre selection is incredibly surface dependent. Admittedly, the Tamiya rubbers have worked better since I added a whole bunch of weight to my F104 around the tray area, but a good set of foams at Tempe (when it's clean and dry) are much quicker.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:01 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by LordAnubis View Post
A few questions about the FGX for those that have them.

- What is the quality of plastic parts like?
- Can a standard tamiya front wing fit onto the FGX?
- Does a normal stick pack battery fit into the car or does it need a small lipo?

Cheers folks.
From what I have heard from those already building them the quality of the plastic is good. You just have to remember that is plastic when tightening down bulkheads otherwise you can tweak the plastic and therefore the chassis

A normal lipo will fit in the car

Do not know about the Tamiya wing

Hope that helps
Old 10-26-2011, 04:10 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by oldnwise View Post
Shimizu F104 rubber tyres fit the Tamiya rims. You can use the foam rims or rubber rims. If you use the rubber rims you have to dremmel off or cut off the outer lip on the rim. My preference is the rubber rims as they offer more support.

You will need Ride tyres for the Ride rims.
Rob,

The Shimizu F10 tyres will fit the Ride rims from what I can determine from information from the owner of Shimizu

Thee are two fronts and one rear
Old 10-26-2011, 05:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cannon View Post
Rob,

The Shimizu F10 tyres will fit the Ride rims from what I can determine from information from the owner of Shimizu

Thee are two fronts and one rear
That is what I suspected. Offers another tyre option for the FGX. Could also use the F10 tyres on the F104 using the ride rims for F104.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Anyone know anything about metal gears for the diffs? I don't liek the chances of the plastic diffs lasting too long... a 13t motor will toast the diffs quite well i'd imagine.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

nt1 or km gears will fit. plastic gears should last as its the same with the sakura tourers which can take lower modified motors and being 2 wheel drive it will only wheel spin so not alot of strain on the gears.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:45 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by LordAnubis View Post
Anyone know anything about metal gears for the diffs? I don't liek the chances of the plastic diffs lasting too long... a 13t motor will toast the diffs quite well i'd imagine.
I ran the exact same diff in my 13.5 non timed FWD car in Thailand every day for two weeks and never had a failure. That diff is still going now. Dont compare 3 Racing gears with those of Spec R
Old 10-28-2011, 04:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

building the newly arrived kit, must say am impressed with it. Everything going together well, instructions clear and easy to understand. First F1 building experience going well
Old 10-30-2011, 12:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up THANKS GUYS

Thanks for the advice, it's as I suspected! - shimzu rubber on tamiya rubber rims - Ride rubber on ride rims. I am intending to race next year at Meakin park (Logan city) & the rubber seems to be the go there on a wedensday night.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Ran the FGX today at SMA to check it out, must say it handles great. Ran 17.5 turn, blinky with 26pinion, and it was on rails. Has great corner speed, and must say it is a very forgiving.

Never run one of these before, and i was surprised how easy it was to pick up.

Only downer, was broken front upper wishbone, noticed about half way through the day. Not sure if it was the pesky nitro 4wd some kids where using or what.

Kept using it to run the battery flat and wouldnt have known it was broken, it still handled fantastic.

Time to order some new plastic parts and contemplate changing the firmware on the esc from blinky to upthe speed a little more.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service