Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ACT Model Car Racing CLub

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 10:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Default ACT Model Car Racing CLub

This thread is for members of the ACT Model Car Clubs to discuss RC racing at the ACTMCRC.

Everyone is welcome to visit and ask questions.

We race:
EP Onroad both indoors and out doors and GP Onroad out doors.

For more information on the club visit the clubs website.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ACTMCRC
For more information on the club visit the clubs website.
Nice try...

The site is http://www.actmcrc.org.au if you are interested
Old 10-09-2011, 04:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kingpops
Nice try...

I thought it was a competition for the first person to guess it!
Old 10-10-2011, 03:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Nice try...

Apparently you need to make a certian number of posts before Tech will allow you to post a link to a website

Thanks for putting the link up

So whose going to Challenge Cup this weekend?
Old 10-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Good meet last night, hopefully a few more turn-up next round.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Default Mini Tyres

Hi Guys,

discussions after racing about Mini Tyres. It seems the general feeling is that the 'offroad' style tyres are not really in the spirit of the class.

The guys suggested that for the remainder of this season the more competitive drivers in the class subscribe to a 'Gentlemen's agreement' to not run these tyres (everyone else can still use them), then, at the begining of the next series we restrict tyres to Tamiya 60D tyres only.

thoughts?

Mark
Old 10-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nerdling
Hi Guys,

discussions after racing about Mini Tyres. It seems the general feeling is that the 'offroad' style tyres are not really in the spirit of the class.

The guys suggested that for the remainder of this season the more competitive drivers in the class subscribe to a 'Gentlemen's agreement' to not run these tyres (everyone else can still use them), then, at the begining of the next series we restrict tyres to Tamiya 60D tyres only.

thoughts?

Mark
Given the small numbers at indoor do you really think that you can be adding more restrictive rules? As 90% of the tuning on the mini is tyres it will be difficult for some to continue if the cars are pigs dur to traction issues...

Dealing with the poor turnout is more of an issue the club needs to manage before it further restricts classes due to parity issues-be they real or imagined
Old 10-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nerdling
Hi Guys,

thoughts?

Mark
Agree. If the 'competitive' drivers agree, then great. If not, applying the rule at the end of the current season would be fine. Would the restriction to Tamiya tyres only be too restrictive. Would "a realistic road tread pattern" suffice, or have measurements similar to other classes: Max total car width, tyre diameter, tyre width, etc...

Given the small numbers at indoor do you really think that you can be adding more restrictive rules? As 90% of the tuning on the mini is tyres it will be difficult for some to continue if the cars are pigs dur to traction issues...

Dealing with the poor turnout is more of an issue the club needs to manage before it further restricts classes due to parity issues-be they real or imagined
I think whether the parity issues are real or imagined, the fact is, is that they are there and if they aren't resolved then you'll have even more disgruntled drivers leaving due to these issues. That is one issue - the other issue is that (I think) they look crap. Part of the mini scene is the way they look - little bubble cars that look like the real thing. Massive rally and off road tyres don't exactly fit that look. The cost factor is a third issue - Cheap Chassis, cheap motor/speedie combo, turn up and race. If you have to have 30 different sets of rubber to be competitive depending on prevailing wehather conditions, track conditions, size layout, etc, then that will also turn people away.

I don't think enforcing this tyre rule would turn anybody away. I believe there was only one or two drivers using them last night anyway, and one of them went back to other tyres after one heat anyway.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I agree that should be onroad tires only.

Rally tires don't look too bad, remember Tamiya did make a rally version M05RA. I think they look really cool and race well on dirt with jumps.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fast micro
I agree that should be onroad tires only.

Rally tires don't look too bad, remember Tamiya did make a rally version M05RA. I think they look really cool and race well on dirt with jumps.
Maybe we should bring back the wooden jumps Those who run the rally/dirt tyres take a detour over a few jumps
Old 10-12-2011, 04:47 AM
Tech Regular

Default Mini Tires

I reckon restricting it to just Tamiya 60D tires is a little too restrictive, as there are plenty of 'proper looking' treaded after market road tires for the m-chassis.. like the ones I run.... but I agree the 'off road' style tires should probably be banned...

But I reckon wait til the next series before making any changes.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:53 AM
Tech Regular

I do not think restricting the tires will effect numbers... if anything it will more likely help it.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:59 AM
Tech Elite

Default ACTMCRC Enduro

Hi Guys,

We have locked on our dates and ordered motors and tyres. The 2011 ACTMCRC Enduro is on.

Check out the entry form for details but the head lines are:

November 27th. Racing will start at 1000.
Kambah, Jenke Cct, Kambah.
Duration 6 hours.
One touring Car per team.
Control Motor (Reedy 21.5) and Tyres (Sweep 40), one of each supplied by the club.
No boost, Blinky ESC.
We will run a maximum of 10 teams, teams must have a minimum of four drivers.
Interstate drivers welcome.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Entry form.pdf (199.1 KB, 296 views)
Old 10-18-2011, 01:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jsr555
I do not think restricting the tires will effect numbers... if anything it will more likely help it.
I doubt that that is true, but would be pleased to be proved wrong if more people turned up and raced becasue of more rules.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:33 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Sith Lord
I think whether the parity issues are real or imagined, the fact is, is that they are there and if they aren't resolved then you'll have even more disgruntled drivers leaving due to these issues. That is one issue - the other issue is that (I think) they look crap. Part of the mini scene is the way they look - little bubble cars that look like the real thing. Massive rally and off road tyres don't exactly fit that look. The cost factor is a third issue - Cheap Chassis, cheap motor/speedie combo, turn up and race. If you have to have 30 different sets of rubber to be competitive depending on prevailing wehather conditions, track conditions, size layout, etc, then that will also turn people away.

I don't think enforcing this tyre rule would turn anybody away. I believe there was only one or two drivers using them last night anyway, and one of them went back to other tyres after one heat anyway.
Let me start by saying I do not care about what rules the mini's run to, as I hate my m05 more than any rc car I have owned, even more than my YR4 Yokomo..... and I will not race mini ever again. Not ever

You will find that the parity issues are much more to do with skill than equipment. the guys hosing the crowd with the "fast' gear will still hose the field with "normal" gear.

No doubt that the mini pins make the cars easy to drive, but so what? There is no rule saying I cannot turn up and run cut down low shore tyres on my tourer and use them for single runs if I want to, yet you expect a different set of expectations for the mini class.

My original contention is if you begin to further restrict the class to particular rule sets then it will ultimatley fail, and with such low numbers turing up for indoor making the cars harder to drive by restrictive rule sets will never increase attendance.

Something has happened in the last 18months to basically wither the indoor running to a few committed individuals. I cannot recall it ever being so consitently poorly attended-yet there is no reason for it as the best track surface and size is always availiable and the racing is now back to once a fortnight which should have pushed up demand. I have no love for carpet racing, but still partake sometimes, but the feel of the race meet is very different to when I first started that is for sure.

The club has lost members and occasional racers for some reason, but has done little to work on preventing that from what I can see. Not much is being done to keep and hold newbies either.... Or effective co-ordination for club organisation.... or clarity of direction... etc etc(and yes I can go on and on about it!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.