Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree262Likes

OFF ROAD VINTAGE at Boondal.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Where can I get a lipo stickpack to fit a wild one and maybe an egress before saturday?
Old 09-14-2015, 10:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Oz RC usually have them if your in a hurry!
Old 09-14-2015, 10:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Exclamation Neo Scorcher

[QUOTE=alexfry;14182532]In retrospect, was it a worthwhile exercise?

I'm trying to get a few friends together to race, who aren't going to touch 2WD Stock (way too exe).

Are you having issues with them relative to other cheap cars? Or just relative to nicer things in your collection .

Well the problem really lies is the fact it was a on road chassis design that has been converted too off road with longer arms and shocks. There is no slipper or ball diff to help the drive train shocks from off road. Even though a ball diff is not a slipper it does absorb some drive shock. They strp the drive line very quickly on a rough track with a decent brushless motor. I'm running a 8.5T. We have done lots of tricks to stop this but it still happens .

Another issue is their suspension geometry and diff placement with the COG . Again coming from a on road design they can't handle rough tracks. Like a Losi XXX4 against the Losi XX4. The triple X4 came from the touring brigade and is not a good rough track racer unlike the XX4 which was designed for the off road tracks from the outset. Hence why Losi Re re the XX4.

All in all the Neo is a ok runner just not for Boondal. I still have mine which has been developed as far as I can with steel bevel gears on the centre shaft and reinforced ring gear on the rear diff. Better and longer throw shocks.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

Exclamation Li Po's for Tamiya

Originally Posted by silvalis
Where can I get a lipo stickpack to fit a wild one and maybe an egress before saturday?
Egress can run standard lipo's ( If it's a Re Re ) but the Wild One takes standard size batteries with the compartment. Eg, Ni Cad/Ni Mi size so a Tamiya style Li Po has to be purchased. Or a Shorty Li Po

Can't make on Sat but next meet if you there I can lend you some to run if you use Deans or T Plugs style connectors .
Old 09-15-2015, 01:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MadRacer
Egress can run standard lipo's ( If it's a Re Re ) but the Wild One takes standard size batteries with the compartment. Eg, Ni Cad/Ni Mi size so a Tamiya style Li Po has to be purchased. Or a Shorty Li Po

Can't make on Sat but next meet if you there I can lend you some to run if you use Deans or T Plugs style connectors .
Ahh, I had a roundish sort of gens ace pack that i used in a mini, but gave it to a friend.

The batteries I have left are all big, fat and square (intellects regular and shorties) and don't fit well - too wide, if I want to use the plastic retainer clip.
I might dremel out a bit of the wild one battery holder so I can use a shorty pack, but my memory tells me that the car works a lot better with some weight in it...

I guess if i'm desperate, i'll just bring along a modern buggy or sct...
Old 09-15-2015, 07:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MadRacer
Well the problem really lies is the fact it was a on road chassis design that has been converted too off road with longer arms and shocks. There is no slipper or ball diff to help the drive train shocks from off road. Even though a ball diff is not a slipper it does absorb some drive shock. They strp the drive line very quickly on a rough track with a decent brushless motor. I'm running a 8.5T. We have done lots of tricks to stop this but it still happens .

Another issue is their suspension geometry and diff placement with the COG . Again coming from a on road design they can't handle rough tracks.

All in all the Neo is a ok runner just not for Boondal.
Do you feel like the drive train would hold up under stock Mabuchi 540 power?

I'd be wanting to run them as close to bone stock as possible, super cheap spec racing, maybe even getting a couple myself so I can drag friends to the track. (I've got other cars for more serious use).

How rough is Boondal? (Compared to Ryde or St Ives if you've visited them)

As a side note, it's great to see that photo of your Avante running flat out. I want one for the same reasons I want an 80s whale tail 911.
My head says my next car should be a TRF211XM, but my heart wants an Avante before they become too rare and expensive.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:45 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I'll be there Saturday morning
Old 09-15-2015, 06:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hmm I might just be able to trek down on Saturday, does anyone have a pair of 8x3x3mm bearings or know a supplier I can get them from?
Old 09-15-2015, 11:47 PM
Tech Elite

Yes Alex should be OK for a while. Track can get quite rough. Depending on other guys running 8th scale buggies which really damages the track. Yep that's a great shot of my Avante re re . They are getting super expensive now and the Hi Caps are too. Red Zone has a really nicely sorted out Egress too. The track is not comparable in anyway to Ryde or St Ives which is a proper maintained racing track. The track that will compare to them is Red Bank.

Sorry Red Zone I will miss you this Sat.

Those bearings you after are they common Tamiya ones. Don't know my bearing sizes

Heavy I will catch up next time.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:37 AM
Tech Addict

Default boondall

Originally Posted by heavy
I'll be there Saturday morning
c u sat heavy
Old 09-16-2015, 09:39 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Is there anyone living close to the track who can check out the track for water say late on Friday
Old 09-17-2015, 05:13 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

In case the track is too wet bring your crawler
Old 09-17-2015, 08:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Not sure I'm gonna make it now, got some carry over work on a job to finish off. Those bearings aren't very common Mark, they are idler shaft bearings for egress and avante etc
Old 09-17-2015, 09:38 PM
Tech Addict

I am 99% sure the track wont be good for Sat, if it got as much rain as I did at my place. I cant make it this weekend anyway
Old 09-18-2015, 02:19 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Track is definitely too wet for racing - called in there about 5 on my way back from the coast - I won't bother coming out tomorrow now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.