R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Australian Racing (https://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing-29/)
-   -   Approved batteries (https://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/538481-approved-batteries.html)

mtbkym01 08-03-2011 01:05 AM

Approved batteries

Just a quick one, once a battery has official sanction (e.g. Roar Approval), does it need the sticker on the hard case to validate it, or as long as the battery is on the list, it should be ok?

Responses appreciated

Cheers

kryne76 08-03-2011 01:12 AM

unfortuneatly it has to have the sticker on it as that proves the battery hasnt been tampered with. You refering to turnigy ones?

Radio Active 08-03-2011 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by mtbkym01 (Post 9475707)
Just a quick one, once a battery has official sanction (e.g. Roar Approval), does it need the sticker on the hard case to validate it, or as long as the battery is on the list, it should be ok?

Responses appreciated

Cheers

To be AARCMCC approved: No it DOES NOT.

However, it must be on a published list, and have been there for 30 days. If the battery is approved but the updated list isn't yet published the battery isn't legal even if it has a sticker on it. That's for onroad.

For offroad the situation is slightly different. The pack has to be on an Australian list according to the rules, but by convention the Australian list is the ROAR or BRCA list. However, there is an additional requirement here that the pack be rated at no more than 6000 mAh capacity. So even if it is on the list, has been there, has a sticker etc. If it is greater than 6000 mAh it's not legal. The same goes in offroad or onroad for batteries outside dimension.

kryne76 08-03-2011 01:52 AM

http://www.roarracing.com/downloads/..._Rule_Book.pdf

Page 38 8.3.2.2

Both the top and bottom sections of the case must be secured
together by glue, double-sided tape or heat seal with a label across the seam
stating "ROAR Approved" in such a manner that separation of the case to
remove or replace the cells will destroy the case and/or label and render it
unusable in competition.

Thats just a small section of the rule, so yes it does need that sticker on it

Bugle 08-03-2011 02:13 AM

Thatīs ROAR rules not AARCMCC.

Radio Active 08-03-2011 02:17 AM

Bugle has it correct. It doesn't have to meet ROAR rules, only AARCMCC rules. And the AARCMCC rules simply demand that the pack is on the list, not that it comply with other ROAR or BRCA rules.

mtbkym01 08-03-2011 03:53 AM

Yes, Turnigy's and Zippy's

So the existing Turnigy's and Zippy's at say 4000 or 5000 mah rating will be legal once they have been published on the list, makes sense, as it's not as though all those packs are individually inspected at manufacture, then approved with the sticker.

I'm guessing the manufacture process wouldn't have changed on the packs, just the manufacturer has submitted the packs to the relevant authority to have them approved.

Radio Active 08-03-2011 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by mtbkym01 (Post 9475980)
So the existing Turnigy's and Zippy's at say 4000 or 5000 mah rating will be legal once they have been published on the list,

Yes, 30 days after the approval date listed, after the list is published they will be legal to use at sanctioned meetings in Australia.

ta04evah 08-03-2011 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Radio Active (Post 9475996)
Yes, 30 days after the approval date listed, after the list is published they will be legal to use at sanctioned meetings in Australia.

Still waiting for ROAR to update their list of approved batteries to show the Turnigy ones. ;)

Cheers
Rob.

Bishop 08-03-2011 08:55 AM

I'll be more interested to see if the 'new' Nano-Tech hardcase packs end up on the ROAR list sometime soon, bought a couple for testing and they work rather well...

Dan the Man 08-04-2011 06:13 AM

After I saw on the Hobbyking website that the Turnigy batts were legal, I emailed Fred Howart at ROAR (July 4th) and he informed me that Turnigy batteries are not ROAR approved.

mtbkym01 08-04-2011 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dan the Man (Post 9480933)
After I saw on the Hobbyking website that the Turnigy batts were legal, I emailed Fred Howart at ROAR (July 4th) and he informed me that Turnigy batteries are not ROAR approved.

Well that's interesting :eek:

ta04evah 08-04-2011 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by mtbkym01 (Post 9483438)
Well that's interesting :eek:

That it is.
If Turnigy is saying their batteries are ROAR approved when they are not I wonder if there could be any legal ramifications? (false advertising etc)

Cheers
Rob.

cannon 08-04-2011 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by ta04evah (Post 9483572)
That it is.
If Turnigy is saying their batteries are ROAR approved when they are not I wonder if there could be any legal ramifications? (false advertising etc)

Cheers
Rob.

It wouldn't surprise me .... Hobbyking has been a pain to the industry for quite a while

Previously ROAR required the ROAR Approved sticker to be put on the lipo before it was approved (at submission stage). maybe this is what they have done. Have they actually said they are ROAR approved or simply shown a picture with the label on the lipo?

mtbkym01 08-04-2011 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by cannon (Post 9484205)
It wouldn't surprise me .... Hobbyking has been a pain to the industry for quite a while

Previously ROAR required the ROAR Approved sticker to be put on the lipo before it was approved (at submission stage). maybe this is what they have done. Have they actually said they are ROAR approved or simply shown a picture with the label on the lipo?

Yes they do state that they are roar approved

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Approved_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Approved_.html