Wiki Posts
Search

Wa Onroad Racing

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 05:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default West Coast Novice Class

Hi all, just a few questions regarding the novice class at Bayswater.

• Are absolute novices welcome. My 9 year old can drive a bit, but can't yet hold a straight line for a whole lap. She can do a lap driving the correct direction though.
  • How many novice entries do you typically get at a Sunday race meet.
  • She has a tourer car with a black 540 motor in it. Is this ok? I don't want to put a brushless in it as it would be way too fast for her.
  • Do the novices race the full track at Bayswater, or race a shorter track?
  • How many novices do you need on a race day to run the novice class?
  • If not enough novices turn up on a race day, can a novice run a 540 tourer with the Mini class. Note that I don't want to build her a Mini as I find that novices roll the Mini a lot, but they find a tourer easier to control.
  • Is the number of novice entries on Alycat on Saturday evening, the night before a race day, a good indication of the number of entries, or do most novices simply enter on the day?

Thanks.

Last edited by Jongo; 09-13-2011 at 06:10 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jongo
Hi all, just a few questions regarding the novice class at Bayswater.

• Are absolute novices welcome. My 9 year old can drive a bit, but can't yet hold a straight line for a whole lap. She can do a lap driving the correct direction though.
  • How many novice entries do you typically get at a Sunday race meet.
  • She has a tourer car with a black 540 motor in it. Is this ok? I don't want to put a brushless in it as it would be way too fast for her.
  • Do the novices race the full track at Bayswater, or race a shorter track?
  • How many novices do you need on a race day to run the novice class?
  • If not enough novices turn up on a race day, can a novice run a 540 tourer with the Mini class. Note that I don't want to build her a Mini as I find that novices roll the Mini a lot, but they find a tourer easier to control.
  • Is the number of novice entries on Alycat on Saturday evening, the night before a race day, a good indication of the number of entries, or do most novices simply enter on the day?
Thanks.
Hi, we have only had the one novice driver recently and ony a couple VTA drivers so we have been running them together. Bayswaters a big track with plenty of space. Everyone runs full track. The 540 motor is no problem, just takes awhile to get down the straight.

It is very hard to say how we will arrange classes in advance as we have not had the consistant numbers in all classes. We guarantee that all drivers will be catered for on the day, so turn up and we will fit you guys into a race.

Dont worry about the skill level, we all started at that level and most kids around that age improve very quickly.

We are racing this sunday, hope to see you there.
Cheers, Toby
Old 09-13-2011, 11:42 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Us VTA Drivers can't drive straight anyway
Old 09-17-2011, 01:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tekin Settings for LRP 17.5T X12

Last year Jacqui and I were running Tekin 17.5T motors with the following settings at Bunbury. Actually, these settings are what I have written down, but I haven't plugged in the Hotwire this year to check the actual settings.

FDR = 4.7
Mode = sensored
Timing boost = 50
Turbo boost = 20
Turbo delay = 0.2
Turbo ramp = 2
Start rpm = 7,491
End rpm = 15,012
Temp = 67 to 70 deg C after a run with the above settings.

Late in 2010 I bought two LRP 17.5T X12s, and ran them with roughly the above settings, but with 10 degrees less timing boost. Unfortunately, before the end of the first race meet the LRPs slowed considerably. I think that they got too hot, but I can't remember the temps, maybe about 85 deg C.

We took the Tekin motors for a practice run today, and while they still work good, they are probably slightly slower than a fresh motor as they have done quite a few race meets. Hence, I am planning to buy two new LRP rotors. However, so that I don't wreck the new rotors on the first outing, could somebody please reccomend Tekin settings to suit the LRP 17.5T X12s. Also, what is the maximum temp that the LRP motors can handle?

In addition, are the FDR and Tekin settings used at Bunbury suitable for the Bayswater track.

Thanks.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:17 AM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Last year Jacqui and I were running Tekin 17.5T motors with the following settings at Bunbury. Actually, these settings are what I have written down, but I haven't plugged in the Hotwire this year to check the actual settings.

FDR = 4.7
Mode = sensored
Timing boost = 50
Turbo boost = 20
Turbo delay = 0.2
Turbo ramp = 2
Start rpm = 7,491
End rpm = 15,012

Late in 2010 I bought two LRP 17.5T X12s, and ran them with roughly the above settings, but with 10 degrees less timing boost. Unfortunately, before the end of the first race meet the LRPs slowed considerably. I think that they got too hot, but I can't remember the temps, maybe about 85 deg C.

We took the Tekin motors for a practice run today, and while they still work good, they are probably slightly slower than a fresh motor as they have done quite a few race meets. Hence, I am planning to buy two new LRP rotors. However, so that I don't wreck the new rotors on the first outing, could somebody please reccomend Tekin settings to suit the LRP 17.5T X12s. Also, what is the maximum temp that the LRP motors can handle?

In addition, are the FDR and Tekin settings used at Bunbury suitable for the Bayswater track.

Thanks.
i think most stock drivers are running in the lower 4s in terms of FDR due to the longer straight and less technical track as compared to bunbury..

also i think the 50 boost and 20 turbo is over timing the motor and yes you're probably getting it too hot..
try dropping that to 40 boost and 15 turbo (dont go over 60 degrees in total on the esc)
you can also make sure the motor is on the 4 dot (oooo) insert which is -10 degrees..

LRP X12 motors love the heat..
we have run them constantly in the high 90s without any degradation in performance..
some have even run them into the 100s, but I would consider < 100 to be safe..
pre-boosto, the rule of thumb for me was in the 80s for club meets, in the high 90s for trophy events..

-Mark
Old 09-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Tech Regular

Default wcmrc onroad

Today has been cancelled due to rain. See you all for the mowing busy bee on the 24th and then the open day on the 25th. Remember, next event is the open day on the 25th. Free race day for members and open boot sale.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Chen's fault for the rain...

Never mind... we have PRECC President's Cup this Tuesday night!!! See everyone there!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:56 AM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

*SPAM* 2011 Presidents Cup Qualifiers @ PRECC is this week!
more spam here..
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australi...ml#post9672185
Old 09-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

At Bayswater I run an LRP X12 17.5 with the 4 dot timing insert and a Tekin RS Pro with an FDR of 4.36.

My Tekin settings are:

Boost 42
Turbo 18
Start RPM ~ 6000
End RPM ~ 20000
Turbo delay 0
Turbo ramp 1 (club days) or 2 (events).

With the above settings and Ramp 1 my temps are ~ 90 - 95, with Ramp 2 ~ 95 - 100.

Hope that helps.

FDR = 4.7
Mode = sensored
Timing boost = 50
Turbo boost = 20
Turbo delay = 0.2
Turbo ramp = 2
Start rpm = 7,491
End rpm = 15,012

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Tech Addict

Calling all 1/12th, 1/10th Pan Cars and F1 (sorry 1/10th only)
PRECC is looking at running a 6 night series on the 2nd Saturday of the Month in April, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep and Oct.
All 1/12th, 1/10th Pans and F1 are welcome please see PRECC forum for more details.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/152937-perth-radio-electric-car-club-50.html#post10265116

Cheers, Toby
Old 02-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Tech Adept

Default TEST AND TUNE

TEST AND TUNE THIS SATURDAY!!!!!!

doors open 3pm

The first test and tune of 2012 is on Saturday the 11th February from 3pm to 10pm. Possible format to be open practice until 6pm, then timed racing in groups.

At 6pm there will be a meeting to discuss details for the F1, 1/10th pancar and 1/12th scale series. If you drive one of these cars, come down and have your say.

Cost: $15.00

Quote:
A bit more information regarding the meeting at the Test and Tune on 11 Jan 2012 at 6pm

If you look at the PRECC calender for 2012 you will see regular Test and Tune days planed for the year.
1st is 11 Feb
2nd is 10th March (practice day for state titles)

Then we have 6 more T&Ts for the year on the 2nd saturday of the month, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep and Oct

During the 6 T&Ts from Apr to Oct we would like to run a pan car series for 1/12th, F1 and 1/10th pan cars. The very loose plan is to run open practice from 3pm to about 6pm then and race meeting from 6.30 to 10pm. Feature classes 1/12th, F1 and 1/10 Pan with Mini and touring as support only. The format for the race series is what we want to discuss at the meeting on 11 Feb at 6pm.

It is also very important we see a show of support for the whole idea. If insufficient numbers turn up to the meeting or show an interest then we are likely to can the whole idea and reduce the number of T&Ts. We would like to give the F1, 1/12th and 1/10th pan enthusiast an opportunity for a race series, so please come down and let us know your keen to race it.

See WWW.PRECC.ORG.AU for location details

See ya all at 6pm on the 11th of Feb.