Wiki Posts
Search

2004 Christmas Cup Enduro

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 11:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Rod M

the day turned out to be a 4 hour long hack fest, (compared to what I remember of last years event)

Trev mentioned the motor issue at the end, perhaps next year the teams can do 27T stock and 540 motors only (no mod)
I agree with the hack fest.. unfortunatly we had one driver on our team with limited driving skills so collisions accured.

I found myself following cars around for two or three laps yet they did not move? In one run I passed the same car at least three times only to get hacked by them later! I can't see how people expect to be fast or run the race without damage when they lack the ability to move a little off the racing line for 1 sec. I admit to two deliberate inside bumping passes after many frustrating laps behind slower cars.

The idea of reducing motor power sounds great. If it was limited to 540 power only, it would ease up the driving pace a little and would also equalize the teams a little. runtime would be easy too... mayb limit packs a bit??

I am happy with third.. we made mistakes but they are our fault so I won't make excuses for them...

Great event as usual...well done trev and family...
Old 12-20-2004, 03:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yes, there was a bit of carnage, and we too had our fair share of bad luck with traffic and the like.

But you need to remember that this is as much the faster talented drivers fault some of the time, as it is the slower novice driver.

It is a 4 hour enduro, not a 4 minute sprint race that suprisingly many more experienced drivers attacked it like.

Everyone is out there trying to do there best, and enjoy the day. Wouldn't be any fun pulling over every corner. They have as much right to race as the rest of us, and with a little more education, they'll learn to make way for the faster cars.
Many a time I sat behind someone for up to 10 laps, until I had a less risky opportunity. That's what enduro's are all about, patience.

Regardless, a great relaxing day, well done to all that competed, as just finishing the event is an achievement in it's self. Well done to CHR for always a great meet.

Merry Xmas to all, and to all a good night.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Scott, I have to disagree. The number of batteries allowed for this event made it a 4 hour sprint race. We lost 2 battery packs and still ran flat out for almost all of the race.

The make up of our team left me as the only Mod driver and an inexperienced one at that. I certainly felt that I had to make as much ground as possible while I was on the track as we would lose ground simply by running 2 540's.

Perhaps the battery limit should be 4 per driver to slow things down.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:47 PM
Tech Regular

just a quick question on driver ettiquette, i was running a brushless in the enduro so I was pretty quick down the straight but due to my inexperience with the motor I was even holding up 540s through the corners my question is if I let someone past through the tight part cos I am slowing them up am I then allowed to overtake them again down the straight?

It was a great day even though we were one of 5 teams to finish we ended up 8th.

Cheers,

Mossie
Old 12-20-2004, 04:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (92%+)

i would agree with the carnage but that comes with racing.

mossie first of you shouldn't have run a brushless. i know that it was probably the only mod motor you had. but it is just to fast for castle hill.

so mossie u see if there is a faster car than you let it pass all that it is going to do is slow both of you down and maybe even cause an accident. i remember with about 20mins to go troy (team TRF) who was 10 laps behind us came up past me in his mod so i pulled off the racing line and let him pass. sure i did cost me an extra 2 seconds. but i would prefer that over a 5 second wait for the marshels.

therefore i would agree with scott hill where for a couple of laps we were sitting behind some slower drivers. but the reason behind this is that i know that i i take a move on them they will most likely hit me.

Old 12-20-2004, 04:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It's a judgement call on etiquette.
If you can be faster over a lap, sure pass them.
But if they are faster than you over the lap, let them go Follow and stay behind them for 1 lap down the straight, and then they'll pull away on the infield.

Jeff, the number of packs I feel is right, we don't want to go back to crawling around. And just cause you can make it on time going hard, doesn't mean you need to attack it like a sprint. The cars won't take 1 hour of bouncing off domes and other cars as we all saw. You need a enduro mentality. I noticed many a driver that lost half a second to a second on there lap times when they tried pushing. I'ts better just to get into a rythm and stay smooth, you'll generally be quicker over your whole run.

If people can't understand that, then they'll never learn.

Bathurst is now a 6-7 hour sprint race, but you don't see them pushing themselves or there cars ten-tenths for that period of time. You'll just make mistakes or have failures.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (92%+)

i feel that this issue with maybe not having mods in the enduro next year is a joke. if we ran all 540's and/or stocks, it would get boring. i think that we should stick with the mods, because that was the key for our team to make most the our time.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by murfy
i feel that this issue with maybe not having mods in the enduro next year is a joke. if we ran all 540's and/or stocks, it would get boring. i think that we should stick with the mods, because that was the key for our team to make most the our time.
but it was also the reason for many of the problems as well,

the performance difference between a brushless and a 540 is too great while also having novices racing on the track as well, if was all experienced drivers then it would be fine, but the mixture's of experience levels caused the issues, (read Mossies post above)

if the teams consisted of 4x 540's (or 2x 540 and 2x 27t stock), then it should make the racing more competitive and without the issue of novices taking you out,
Old 12-20-2004, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by scottyhill
It's a judgement call on etiquette.
If you can be faster over a lap, sure pass them.
But if they are faster than you over the lap, let them go Follow and stay behind them for 1 lap down the straight, and then they'll pull away on the infield.

Jeff, the number of packs I feel is right, we don't want to go back to crawling around. And just cause you can make it on time going hard, doesn't mean you need to attack it like a sprint. The cars won't take 1 hour of bouncing off domes and other cars as we all saw. You need a enduro mentality. I noticed many a driver that lost half a second to a second on there lap times when they tried pushing. I'ts better just to get into a rythm and stay smooth, you'll generally be quicker over your whole run.

If people can't understand that, then they'll never learn.

Bathurst is now a 6-7 hour sprint race, but you don't see them pushing themselves or there cars ten-tenths for that period of time. You'll just make mistakes or have failures.
I take your point Scott but you never know what is going to happen in these races. The biggest hit I took all day was from a car that had dumped and he changed lines in the straight on me.

I must say though that the most fun I had all day was battling with Troy for the lead on the first pack. Sure, I was flat out but as I said before, I don't have much experience with a Mod and I was just out to enjoy it.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:42 AM
Tech Elite

I Had a fun day as always with enduro's.
I think even with the stock cars there will be a massive speed differential between the novices running 540's and the rest, but thats what happens out there
Old 12-21-2004, 04:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Now thats a good point.. Even if we all ran 540's, someone would be much faster (I should know!). I think the batts where a good balance and as scott said, Going fast just slowed you down... rythm is the key to a fast race.

BTW: we ran two mods (changing from 19/20t to a 16/19t to 10/10t) as it gave us the best options for competitive pace. We learn't a bit and will be back next year with the most important aspect covered... a dedicated team manager.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Yes unfortunately, Jean Todt cancelled at the last minute this year. I think you do need a fifth person to keep track of things and watch what is going on.

Half of the drivers time should be spent either driving or marshalling and preparing or fixing your car has to be fitted in as well as doing change overs in the pits.

Little time for anything else, especially if you lose two consecutive battery packs on the first lap as we did.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yea I agree, it was pretty full on without much time to charge batterys or repair your car,

after more thought, this is what I reckon would be good for next year,

1, 540 motors only,

2, teams of 5 drivers instead of 4, (would of allowed more time between runs for repairs and would create a more relaxed/fun atmosphere)

3, running it for 5 hours straight instead of 4 (and scrap the 1hr qualifying) with a 15 min (quickest lap) qualifying session, one driver per team to qualify,

4, 5 battery packs per driver or 25 per team, (5hrs= 300 minutes, 25 runs per team, =12min per run)
Old 12-21-2004, 03:53 PM
Tech Regular

I reckon that sounds awesome. I would be happy with that.

Cheers,

Mossie
Old 12-21-2004, 05:00 PM
TJ
Tech Champion

So how do you break up the teams if there is more than 10 teams and don't say we only take ten teams and if this is the case don't worry about teams just have one cars do the full 5hrs.

Originally posted by Rod M
Yea I agree, it was pretty full on without much time to charge batterys or repair your car,

after more thought, this is what I reckon would be good for next year,

1, 540 motors only,

2, teams of 5 drivers instead of 4, (would of allowed more time between runs for repairs and would create a more relaxed/fun atmosphere)

3, running it for 5 hours straight instead of 4 (and scrap the 1hr qualifying) with a 15 min (quickest lap) qualifying session, one driver per team to qualify,

4, 5 battery packs per driver or 25 per team, (5hrs= 300 minutes, 25 runs per team, =12min per run)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.