Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
Sydney Model Autosports Inc [smaracing.org] >

Sydney Model Autosports Inc [smaracing.org]

Like Tree28Likes

Sydney Model Autosports Inc [smaracing.org]

Old 02-15-2018, 01:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

For those interested, SMA will be open tonight (Friday 16th) for a timed practice session. All are welcome.

Gates open at 5pm.

Also, with round 2 of the XRS series not far away, those looking to get in some valuable practice can head to Castle Hill Showgrounds tonight for a night of racing.

Tony.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:41 PM
Tech Regular

SMA Tuesday night update.

As you would all be aware, we had a lot of rain hit the track last night and early this morning. The unfortunate part is that there is no heat to dry the track (even with the major puddles being soaked up).

We are looking at either re-scheduling for tomorrow or Thursday night.

Anyone interested in either of these nights please let us know so we can organise to get the track ready.

Your responses will dictate whether we open or not.

Tony.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:25 AM
Tech Regular

Racing Rescheduled.

With the cancellation of racing on Tuesday night due to the weather, we asked if you were happy to reschedule to either Wednesday night (tonight) or Thursday. The overwhelming response was for Thursday night.

So Thursday night it is.

Gates open at 4pm with racing to start at 7.30pm

Hope to see you all there.

Tony.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi all just need some advice I have just purchased a used on road kit it had a servo and esc (savox and team Orion r10) already installed so just need to add a motor, batteries, Rx and some tyres and should be ready to get out on track. My question is in regards to the motor I was looking at possibly going a 13.5t but is this a popular class or would it be wiser just to go to a mod motor? I have some on road experience with nitro on road and also plenty of off-road experience (8 years approx)would I struggle in the mod class or do you think I would be better off starting with a 13.5 motor? Second question is what sort of gearing do you run in either mod or 13.5 at SMA. Another question I have is regarding tyres is there a certain tyre that you must run or is it open and what tyres do most run type and rating etc?
If anyone has a setup for a Yokomo BD8 2017 black series for SMA that you could send me that would be awesome. Thanks in advance for your help
Old 02-24-2018, 03:09 AM
Tech Regular

Hi jprevolution,

In regards to classes, my advise would be to start in the 13.5 (stock) class. At SMA the 13.5 class is normally well supported on our Tuesday night race meetings. Lap time difference between Mod and stock is normally approx. 0.7s to 1 second but things happen a hell of a lot faster. As dedicated electric tracks are normally more technical and tighter than the Nitro tracks here in NSW I'm sure the 13.5 class would offer enough challenges to wet your appetite.

In regards to gearing, this is extremely dependant on the motor you choose. But as a rough guide it varies between 4.2 and 4.6 FDR. Tyres are open at SMA (as well as all other tracks here in NSW). The only time that changes is when events are run under control tyre requirements. Most people at SMA run either the Rush 36 or Xpress 36 tyres.

We have a few people that are successfully running the BD8 at SMA. One being John Puse (current National 13.5 champion). I will ask John to post his set up.

Any other info you need please feel free to ask or just call in on a Tuesday night and have a chat.

Regards Tony.
Professor likes this.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi Tony,

Thankyou very much for the advice this really helps me start to workout what I need to get going, also just one more question how many battery packs do you usually have on hand for a typical race meet can you get by with charging the same pack or will you require two or more?
I will make sure I get down to SMA on Tuesday night and introduce myself, thanks again Tony really appreciate the help.

Regards
Joe
Old 02-25-2018, 10:40 AM
Tech Regular

Hey Joe,

Glad to help. Most of us have at 2 packs at a race night. However, this is not normally needed as with most decent chargers you will normally have enough time between races to charge the same pack (ready for next race).

Hopefully see you Tuesday night.

Regards Tony.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi all,

I was looking at setting up my TC7 for use at SMA -- I would like to run beginner at first with a 21.5T (Tekin Redline Gen3), before hopefully graduating to VTA (open to motor suggestions if the Tekin isn't best suited). I was wondering if someone could tell me a range of spurs and pinions (or perhaps simply what the best combo is) that I can pick-up and install before heading down to the track?

Also - if anyone is in the inner west and wants to have a run on some netball courts/tennis courts for a bit of fun/practice during the day when it is quiet, just shoot me a PM.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-26-2018, 03:04 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Yess,

Will be good to see another brand at SMA. We don't see many Team Associated cars.

The Tekin motor you have is more than up to the job (and still quite a competitive motor).

In regards to gearing, I would suggest buying a 41 and 43 tooth (48 pitch) pinions as well as a 70 and 72 tooth (again 48 pitch) spur gears. This will give you final drive combinations between 3.26 and 3.51. I would start with the 43/72 combination with the motor timing at approx. 35 degrees. I have run this motor in my Xray previously and was very competitive.

Any other info you need please feel free to ask. Hopefully see you at the track.

Regards Tony.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:05 AM
Tech Regular

Hopefully this rain has finished putting a downer on the week.

The plan is to get the major puddles soaked up early in the morning and that will allow the track to dry out during the day. At this stage we are hopeful of having the track in a condition suitable for racing tomorrow night.

Usual classes: VTA / 21.5 / 13.5 and Mod.

Gates open at 4pm with racing to start at7.30pm.

See you there.

Tony.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by smithers64
Hi Yess,

Will be good to see another brand at SMA. We don't see many Team Associated cars.

The Tekin motor you have is more than up to the job (and still quite a competitive motor).

In regards to gearing, I would suggest buying a 41 and 43 tooth (48 pitch) pinions as well as a 70 and 72 tooth (again 48 pitch) spur gears. This will give you final drive combinations between 3.26 and 3.51. I would start with the 43/72 combination with the motor timing at approx. 35 degrees. I have run this motor in my Xray previously and was very competitive.

Any other info you need please feel free to ask. Hopefully see you at the track.

Regards Tony.

Thanks so much, Tony.

I currently have the car set-up with 43/70, so will see how that goes, but will also order in the 41/72 combo.

One last question - I have a new 2.4GHz radio on order as my old one conked it. Can I run my old-school 75mhz Futaba in the meantime?

If so, I will try to get down there this afternoon.

Cheers!

EDIT: Never mind, the postman just showed up with the new radio!

Last edited by Yess; 02-26-2018 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Info
Old 02-28-2018, 06:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default opening hours

HI Guys,
What is the best method of knowing if the track is opened for example due to rain etc?

Regards,
Old 03-01-2018, 08:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by f1reblade
HI Guys,
What is the best method of knowing if the track is opened for example due to rain etc?

Regards,
The best place would be the clubs Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/smaracing/
Old 03-05-2018, 12:46 AM
Tech Regular

Surprise surprise. Tuesday night is nearly here so that means just one thing - rain.

We haven't given hope just yet. As accurate as the weather forecasters are these days anything can happen. We will make a call at about 3-4pm tomorrow as to whether the track is in good enought shape to race on (keep on eye on this page for updates).

If we are able to get the track up to shape we would appreciate your patronage. There's nothing worse than spending hours to get the track drivable only to have the same 5 or 6 people turn up.

The usual classes will be running: VTA / GT / 21.5 / 13.5 and Mod.

Hopefully I'll see you all there tomorrow night.

Tony.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:58 PM
Tech Regular

Well Friday is nearly here again. The weather is looking a little more favourable at this point so we may finally get out to play.

At this stage it will be a timed practice night (dependant on the numbers).

Track will be open at 4pm for those keen enough to get there early.

Lets all keep our fingers crossed for a clear night.

Hopefully see you at the track.

Tony.
aussie372 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.