Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
Sydney Model Autosports Inc [smaracing.org] >

Sydney Model Autosports Inc [smaracing.org]

Like Tree28Likes

Sydney Model Autosports Inc [smaracing.org]

Old 08-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I don't think completing the work before club challenge is a realistic expectation, but if the club decides to go ahead with it I don't mind coming down for a working bee and lending a hand.

Out of curiosity, is it up to the powers that be to make a decision or do the members vote??
Old 08-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Craig, have asked people that know more about the track coating (i know nothing about it) to have a look at the part of the track you showed me (blue showing through), that will happen tomorrow night.

David - have a chat to Steve tomorrow night, usually people suggest things, they go to the committee and a decision is made, Steve will correct me if im wrong.
Have to agree that some things are going to happen after CC, but some things also will be happening before. As it has been raining so much getting some things done has been awkward and not possible. Will definatly post some details of any working bees/tasks that assistance is needed with.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mingnon View Post
Have to also agree if people don't like it, don't run on it!
I am just saying publicly what many people including many of your own members are too afraid to voice.
People will still race even if its a goat track, but dont be scratching your heads when there are 60 entries at the NSW titles instead of the 100+ it deserves.
You only have to look as far back at the recent MM Masters, there were only as many locals as there were interstaters, and that is only due to the efforts of Ari spruking up entries.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Besercoe View Post
I am just saying publicly what many people including many of your own members are too afraid to voice.

Brad my self and the other committee members are always very approachable, and try to listen to our members, and cater to their needs.
So for you to come out and say that we have members to afraid to voice
their opinion at SMA is total rubbish

People will still race even if its a goat track, but donít be scratching your heads when there are 60 entries at the NSW titles instead of the 100+ it deserves
SMA is far from a Goat Track, and you need to be careful how you use your words.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but last time SMA held the state titles, we did a very good job, and this time around we are trying our very best to better SMA's last effort.

You only have to look as far back at the recent MM Masters, there were only as many locals as there were interstaters, and that is only due to the efforts of Ari spruking up entries.
Once again Brad, your off the mark, we had close to 100 entries, and there was a lot more local drivers than interstate drivers.
And I think we would have got even more local entries if the weather had have been better, and not if the track had have been resealed.

At the end of the day, the committee of SMA will ensure that the track will be in great condition, and ready for racing.

So what I suggest Brad, is leave us to sort out our own club, and you put your efforts else where, as I am sure there are a few things in your own back yard that need your attention

Regards,

Steve Taulanga
SMA President
Old 08-06-2012, 04:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

After racing on the Track on the weekend I think the surface has gotten worst since Much Mores. While marshalling yesterday i noticed that the blue paint of the original layout is starting to show through in some corners. More so in the middle right hand corner. The curbs and the infield look in good condition but the surface is looking worn and tired.

I am thinking of running 12th scale at the Titles but looking at the surface i don't think i would enjoy racing it at the moment.

It is the club choice what they do with their track. I am just stating what i have noticed.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta04evah View Post
After racing on the track today I found that the track was ok for surface consistancy, grip and smoothness for myself and I'm looking forward to racing there again.
No track is going to be "perfect" and will have it's own area's that give it "character" that the majority of people will be able to deal with.
If the track is not to your satisfaction, then it's simple don't race there, no one is twisting your arm.

Cheers
Rob.
+1
Old 08-06-2012, 04:50 AM
NR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I will give my 2c,

I dont think a coat a paint is such a big deal, and to be quite honest, it does need some work on the track, a lot of people around the pits are mentioning it, however we are all very grateful for the work that everyone puts in on the committee, however I feel the committee could be a little open with its members, after all its the members that put the money in the bank.

By open, I mean keep us in the loop as to what is going on and perhaps ask questions, ask what nights people would prefer, ask what format people would like, ask what day on weekend people can make it, etc etc. then utilising that data you may be able to operate with a bigger number of entries than we receive currently.

I also think its great that Brad and Dave, and I am sure there are many others that have offered to work at the working bee. Im sure the club can invest in a can of white and red paint and spruce it up a little, then we could ask what the MEMBERS think about the surface and have a vote, then decide what and what not to do re the surface, I think you'd be surprised by the results. This is what I mean by keeping the members in the loop.

I hate to say this however I feel the committee is making the decisions based on THEIR thoughts and NOT the MEMBERS. And that's a real shame.

Regards
Nathan
Old 08-06-2012, 04:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
No need to be like that, Bradd is just voicing concerns of a number of people including me. The grip is ok, but the best this surface had to give is behind it now. We are going to have to repaint some time in the near future regardless, I'm not sure why we wouldnt don't do it before the track is showcased to the masses at CC and states.
Would have to agree with Craig. Yes there is grip there, but the track has seen better days with better, more consistent grip.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:08 AM
NR
Tech Master

After racing on the track today I found that the track was ok for surface consistancy, grip and smoothness for myself and I'm looking forward to racing there again.
No track is going to be "perfect" and will have it's own area's that give it "character" that the majority of people will be able to deal with.
If the track is not to your satisfaction, then it's simple don't race there, no one is twisting your arm.

Cheers
Rob.
What a copout, so if members who have had something to do with the club since its inception feel like voicing an opinion and it differs to what other members believe they should just "simply not race there?" Thats a ridiculous attitude, You need to remember there are people that treat racing as a hobby and some as a sport, ("you clearly a hobby") and BOTH parties have been the making of the success of SMA, so both deserve the same respect and are entitled to an opinion, not simply to be told "we're not twisting your arm to race there"

You probably just want to inflate your ego and be told that without SMA we would be struggling for a brilliant track, which If it makes you feel better i will give to you, however people, both the racer and hobbyist have supported the club since inception and both should be entitled to see their money being spent on the upkeep of the club. If you don't want to operate as a "club" and or listen to the people putting money in the bank, simply privatise it and hand it back to the founding members, and treat it as a business as opposed to a club, then you can tell us to all go and jump.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NR View Post
I hate to say this however I feel the committee is making the decisions based on THEIR thoughts and NOT the MEMBERS. And that's a real shame.

Regards
Nathan
Here Here Nathan...well said man.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Nathan it sounds like you have a few concerns with the club, I'm more than happy to speak to you tomorrow night, if your coming?

If any other SMA members have anything they would like to discuss about SMA, please come and see me trackside tomorrow night, or you can send me a pm.

At the end of the day I/ we come to SMA because we love the sport/hobby of rc racing, and we love racing on the SMA track, and we only want what is best for the club and it's members.
So as a club lets work out what the we want, and work towards it.

See you all trackside tomorrow night

Regards

Steve Taulanga
SMA President
Old 08-06-2012, 06:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Frankly some people don't know when they've got it good. You are spoiled for choice with a number of great venues around Sydney!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Default States

Well said steve...
Old 08-06-2012, 06:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NR View Post
What a copout, so if members who have had something to do with the club since its inception feel like voicing an opinion and it differs to what other members believe they should just "simply not race there?" Thats a ridiculous attitude, You need to remember there are people that treat racing as a hobby and some as a sport, ("you clearly a hobby") and BOTH parties have been the making of the success of SMA, so both deserve the same respect and are entitled to an opinion, not simply to be told "we're not twisting your arm to race there"

You probably just want to inflate your ego and be told that without SMA we would be struggling for a brilliant track, which If it makes you feel better i will give to you, however people, both the racer and hobbyist have supported the club since inception and both should be entitled to see their money being spent on the upkeep of the club. If you don't want to operate as a "club" and or listen to the people putting money in the bank, simply privatise it and hand it back to the founding members, and treat it as a business as opposed to a club, then you can tell us to all go and jump.
It appears I have hit a raw nerve, however it also appears that maybe others who were too afraid to say anything are stepping up and voicing concerns.

Anyway, I'm not a current member of SMA as I've only just started racing there, but am considering in becoming one, not just for the track facilities alone but for how I was made to feel welcomed on my first day there.

What I saw on that first day was a good sized track with clear markings, a drivers stand that can easily accommodate 12 drivers, 240v power readily & easily available around all area's of the pits and the convenience of the social club that gives support to the SMA club.

However, this alone wasn't the sole reason that had me returning there to race again, it was just as simple thing being that I enjoyed myself there even with some? imperfections on the racing surface.

Label me as a "hobby" racer if you like, but when I hand over my money which is the same colour as everyones else I'm just as competitive as the next guy and like to win or place high on the podium , but if I don't I put it down to experience be it my driving, car setup or just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

There's going to be and has been times where I have not agreed with a decision but I appreciate what we already have, sure it could always be better but trying to aggressively force the point is not the way to go.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:35 AM
NR
Tech Master

It appears I have hit a raw nerve, however it also appears that maybe others who were too afraid to say anything are stepping up and voicing concerns.

Anyway, I'm not a current member of SMA as I've only just started racing there, but am considering in becoming one, not just for the track facilities alone but for how I was made to feel welcomed on my first day there.

What I saw on that first day was a good sized track with clear markings, a drivers stand that can easily accommodate 12 drivers, 240v power readily & easily available around all area's of the pits and the convenience of the social club that gives support to the SMA club.

However, this alone wasn't the sole reason that had me returning there to race again, it was just as simple thing being that I enjoyed myself there even with some? imperfections on the racing surface.

Label me as a "hobby" racer if you like, but when I hand over my money which is the same colour as everyones else I'm just as competitive as the next guy and like to win or place high on the podium , but if I don't I put it down to experience be it my driving, car setup or just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

There's going to be and has been times where I have not agreed with a decision but I appreciate what we already have, sure it could always be better but trying to aggressively force the point is not the way to go.

Cheers
Rob.
Well written, and just as your money is the same colour as mine / ours, our opinions are the same as yours and should be treated with the same courtesy.

I am not for once putting down SMA, I am simply giving my opinion on how it could be improved with Mine and Your money that goes in to the bank.

Yes we are spoilt and thats thanks to the hobbyist and racer who have been so loyal to SMA since its inception. and the founders having put many blood sweat and tears in to it getting it going. it has a reputation for being the best on road car club in Australia, lets keep this reputation up.

Nathan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.