Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
What am I doing wrong??? (Venon Pro Charger) >

What am I doing wrong??? (Venon Pro Charger)

What am I doing wrong??? (Venon Pro Charger)

Old 12-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default What am I doing wrong??? (Venon Pro Charger)

My NiMH Traxxas battery is a 3000 mah 8.4 v after using the Venom Pro Charger, it wont last as long as it does with the slow charger that came with the Slash, I set the charger for: NiMH - 3.0 Amp and then start. When the battery is full, the mah in the bottom right of the display reads around 2200 to 2300 mah?? Should be 3000 mah, correct?

I have looked on youtube for a tutorial with no luck. The instructions that come with the charger are useless!
Old 12-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Buster Gonad
My NiMH Traxxas battery is a 3000 mah 8.4 v after using the Venom Pro Charger, it wont last as long as it does with the slow charger that came with the Slash, I set the charger for: NiMH - 3.0 Amp and then start. When the battery is full, the mah in the bottom right of the display reads around 2200 to 2300 mah?? Should be 3000 mah, correct?

I have looked on youtube for a tutorial with no luck. The instructions that come with the charger are useless!
Buster what you need to do is the following

Use the venom charger to discharge the battery at 1.0amp and then charge it at a very slow pace say 1.5amp

remember the more amps you pump into the battery the more heat you create and thus the less capacity the battery will take as when the heat/temp lowers after your charge at a high rate your battery's capacity will reduce as heat creates resistance .

ill use a basic example for you to understand when you fill an oxy cylinder at say 500 ps1 at a time and the cylinder takes a max of 3000psi to be completely full at that fast pace to fill the cyclinder your creating large amounts of heat including capacity but once the cylinder cools down after you have filled it the capacity drops as the capacity you have filled it with some of it is heat as the volume so the volume becomes less when it cools.

Thats the same as your traxxas slow charger and venom fast charger .the faster you charge the battery the less capacity you will have as the resistance to the capacity builds in temp/heat .

Batterys are not meant to be charged at a very fast pace .fast pace also means less life span .

sorry for the big write up i just wanted you to uunderstand how it all works .

regards Angelo
Old 12-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by COBRARACING

Use the venom charger to discharge the battery at 1.0amp and then charge it at a very slow pace say 1.5amp
Thanks Angelo, I understand that heat diminishes capacity, however the batteries dont feel any hotter than the slow charger and I didn't think 3.0 amps was a lot. I will try that method you outlined next charge! I have a few of these batteries for my son as I dont want him using Lipo's yet, so I try and get them all charged before the next run.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Thanks Angelo!

Originally Posted by COBRARACING

regards Angelo
Thanks Angelo, discharged the battery at 1.0amp and then charged it at 1.5amps, worked a treat