Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
FWD TC Class - which direction and rules? >

FWD TC Class - which direction and rules?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FWD TC Class - which direction and rules?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 11:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default FWD TC Class - which direction and rules?

The idea of racing the new generation FWD cars is getting closer and closer.

A number of ideas have been proposed as a common rule set for the class so that there is parity across the states that want to race them.

Attached below are a number of ideas about different approaches to the class. Please note that each category of the ideas has a number of ideas which represent different approaches to a solution. Typeface in red is my own thoughts on each part

CHASSIS

All FWD chassis with 190mm nominal width would be allowed. No restrictions on hopups (most are purely bling and offer no advantage)
This could be ok as it allows the older FF02 chassis and M05 wheelbase conversions. However it also allows the previous class killing Yokomo YR2 although there would be very few spares available for them. Other solution would be to allow only the current series of chassis

GEARING & MOTOR/ESC

Two ideas have been suggested:
• Using the current Hobbywing Mini system but because of the open gearing we would have to use a capped rollout to create equality between the cars as this sytem would be far too fast from previous experience if left open geared
• Use something like a Hobbywing Justock ESC with a HW 13.5 or 17.5 motor. Both the motor and ESC have no timing so the speed would be acceptable. The 13.5 or 17.5 motor is ensure that all cars can achieve the required rollouts. One motor would be selected. This system is only around $150 maximum for ESC and motor.

I personally prefer the HW Justock system as the combo will not require scrutineering of controlled gearing. The Justock system will naturally control itself as a racer who overgears will just end up going slower. (no drive out of corners)BODIES

Two directions have been suggested:
• Bodies must be realistic representations of existing full size FWD or RWD sedans/coupes/wagons/utes. A rear wing can only be used if it comes with the bodyshell, and must be a correct scale replica of the original road car wing. In other words , no “PROTOBLOB” style bodies
• Bodies must be FWD only and be realistic representations of existing full size FWD or RWD sedans/coupes/wagons/utes. A rear wing can only be used if it comes with the bodyshell, and must be a correct scale replica of the original road car wing. In other words, no TC bodyshell like Protoform Mazda Speed 6 etc

My preference is for FWD bodies only. True to the class of racing and with realistic wings as well. If the bodyshell you selected came with a huge oversized wing you would be asked to cut it down so that it realistic.
There are a large number of great bodies available:
Honda Civic … various models
VW Golf GTi
Volvo 850 … sedan and wagon
Renault Clio
Honda Accord etc etc

WEIGHT

As a lot of these style of cars are based around cheaper kits then there is no need to go down to super low weights. The existing TC weight of 1400g with timing gear would be sufficient

For NSW, there is potential to get this class going as a bit of fun. It should be cheap to do as well.

I have spoken to TJ regarding the CC series next year and his suggestion is that he MIGHT consider it as a non-pointscore class for the first year to trial the situation. So it would be a drivers series only. If this was to go ahead I would ensure sponsorship of the class.

The other race series is the newly proposed 2WD series to be run in Sydney next year

So what are your thoughts. The idea is to get this sorted asap so that we can get it up and running

Last edited by cannon; 10-16-2010 at 02:05 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 147 (99%+)

Sounds good Greg, I'd give it a go..
Old 10-16-2010, 01:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here is a crazy idea fish, put one of the 2 cars that you own onto a track and actually run it, instead of talking about it, and bolting on new hop ups
Whack in a justock, and a spec motor and go have fun.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:14 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Besercoe
Here is a crazy idea fish, put one of the 2 cars that you own onto a track and actually run it, instead of talking about it, and bolting on new hop ups
Whack in a justock, and a spec motor and go have fun.
Always one idiot in a crowd ... ohhh hang on it is a resigned AARCMCC official ... enough said

Before I start bolting motors in I want to make sure it is the motor/ESC that people want to use
Old 10-16-2010, 01:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I'm in because I can run my YRF2
Old 10-16-2010, 01:37 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CraigM
I'm in because I can run my YRF2

I thought you might be happy Craig

You will have to be careful ... not a lot of spares
Old 10-16-2010, 01:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

yeah, I replaced the belt and springs a while back with some parts I found on ebay, but I never found any arms or uprights though . I'm sure my not-special edition (read: no shocks) won't have any kind of performance advantage, especially over cars like the TOP.

My vote would be for the justock speedos, 17.5 motors, and FWD bodies. That'd be a blast and the racing would be nice and close
Old 10-16-2010, 03:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FK05 lover
Sounds good Greg, I'd give it a go..
l just knew you wanted to go with a red car for the new year jim & once you have the sabre then u will want a photon or three as well
Old 10-16-2010, 03:57 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Professor
l just knew you wanted to go with a red car for the new year jim & once you have the sabre then u will want a photon or three as well
Graham, getting a red 2WD as well?
Old 10-16-2010, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Greg,

My vote is for the justock speedos, 17.5 motors, and FWD bodies. That way there is parity and comes back to car setup and driving ability.

I am looking forward to getting home and building a car to race in this hopefully supported class.

Later,

Calvin.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Fish,

Is there a 3Racing fwd in the way ? I know that they to the FF03 hopups.
Hmmm , I was getting an F1 for the BAD 2wd series , you're not helping me with this !! (lol)

Don't forget the 1965kv HW motor. About the same speed as a non timed 17.5.....

Michael.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 147 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Professor
Well actually, I'll get the Tamiya..
Old 10-16-2010, 04:22 PM
TJ
Tech Champion

Oh no another member for Team BLUE
Old 10-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by FK05 lover
Well actually, I'll get the Tamiya..
to go with the new 417 i suppose
Old 10-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cannon
Graham, getting a red 2WD as well?
if i get another rc car i may have to look for somewhere else to live

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.