Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
Victorian Indoor 1/10th On-road/Off-road electric track, oppinion and interest > Victorian Indoor 1/10th On-road/Off-road electric track, oppinion and interest

Victorian Indoor 1/10th On-road/Off-road electric track, oppinion and interest

Old 06-30-2004, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Victorian Indoor 1/10th On-road/Off-road electric track, oppinion and interest

Hey fellow racers,

I would like to get a general feel for the subject. Getting an Indoor on-road/off-road track here in Victoria.
I woud love to get the oppinions of you fellow racers and a general feel of the interest.

Not saying there will be a new one, but just some responses on the subject.

Cool,
Andrew Selvaggi
Old 06-30-2004, 07:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Isn't there one at Hoppers Crossing already?
Old 07-02-2004, 05:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

overseas theres a indoor track for nitro 1/10 is this available in VIC?
Old 07-02-2004, 05:36 AM
Tech Master

hey,

I am talking about 1/10th Electric tracks, not the 1/8th track that is at hoppers and primerally Gas off roads run on and on-roads
Old 07-02-2004, 05:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Talking

Hi Andrew,

Sure it can be done, and it would be awesome to have one ,but it's a cost thing.

For it to stay alive for a long period, it would need a shop to cater for the people that run their, breakages and so on.

Also to cover costs, rates, power, water, heating and cooling, etc.

The shed would have to be huge, to build race standard tracks (ones that can hold big meetings), so your looking at a few million just for that, or a lease at a few grand a month, the hoppers track is a prime example of this, the indoor track is good but get a full house and it gets a bit tight, plus the tin shed causes radio problems.

Off road would be the best to have indoors, as it could be like the little CMC track, but big enough to support big races.

And the other cost thing would be, the clubs are having enough trouble at the moment getting members to race, and if another track was around, it may take members away from the other clubs.

Good luck
Old 07-02-2004, 07:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by Andrew Selvaggi
hey,

I am talking about 1/10th Electric tracks, not the 1/8th track that is at hoppers and primerally Gas off roads run on and on-roads

Hoppers has 1/10 electric track inside, the outside track is for
1/5-1/10 gas and electric
Old 07-02-2004, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

OLDSCHOOL:
Yeah i know that, we were thinking 1000Sqm, that would be sufficient. When you say raceable for big meet's, that would be the whole aim of the idea to get a 24-26 second track and not something that is a whole 9 seconds lond like CMC, thats just for off road, onroad you would want arround 12seconds for MOD.
The hobby shop idea was going to come into play but i dont want to say any thing about that on-line and stepping on toes is most certian to happen
Old 07-02-2004, 07:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

it all depends on where abouts it'd be located

i'd love a proper sized indoor track (the hoppers indoor track is just too small i think), especially coming into winter.
even if it's not a totally enclosed track, but just roofed so you can still race when it's raining.

if you want 2 tracks under one roof, you're talking a pretty huge shed, something along the lines of an aircraft hanger would go down quite nicely
Old 07-02-2004, 11:27 PM
Tech Master

Yeah an aircraft hanger would be swwe and all the airports are on major highways, in reality the essendon airport would be awesome. But having said that Linfox has got that land for something like 100 years now, just like Avalon. It wouldn't hirt to enquire about a average size hanger (not something they could fit a 747 in)

But the conclusion we have come to is that you would need and on-road track in there aswell to support the smaller off-road community, but having said that i personally think having a track indoors that is supported by a hobby shop with full stock of all off road cars and parts would spark racing every where because there is a guarentee of racing, once or twice per-week knowing that there wont be any weather issues and there will be some awesome racing.

There are so many factors to take into account too, pit size, track size, how to man the track and if there were a shop to man and stock that, its no small task, but personally i have seen what happens over in the US and the sucsess of indoor tracks over there, so why wont it work here. CMC is huge in size of people that race there, so why wont something like that work?
Old 07-03-2004, 12:37 AM
Tech Elite

You'll be shelling out a mountain of cash to keep the place heated when it gets cold.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey guys.

Does CMC still have the indoor track???

Glenn
Old 07-03-2004, 01:36 AM
Tech Master

yes they do
Old 07-03-2004, 02:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

pardon my ignorance but what is CMC?

fatdoggy -- You'll be shelling out a mountain of cash to keep the place heated when it gets cold.
bring a jumper
anything that stops the wind is gonna be 10x warmer than being outside anyway, im not too worried about the cold, im more worried about the wind & rain

you can probably get hangers at essendon airport, there's a few companies that already have warehouses etc there, so it's definatly possible to get a commercial/industrial peice of land there.

keeping the track staffed is possibly a problem... being an indoor track you'd have the opportunity to race nights, which would be a huge bonus for people who work/study during the week but have a bit of spare time at night. wednesday night racing at boronia has already proved how good mid-week racing can be, it's just a shame that the weather is starting to become really crappy lately so most weeks end up being cancelled due to rain.

the other advantage of having both on & offroad tracks in the same complex is that you tend to attract new people from eachother, ie onroad guys start to dabble in offroad, and vice versa, personally im an onroad racer that's looking at getting an offroad buggy, but due to racing clashes (templestowe onroad vs. keilor offroad) on sundays, im not too sure if i'll still be getting one.

back on the staffing thing, maybe having the 'shop' as such inside a seperate entity to the track, IE entry to the track doesnt mean going through the shop, so the track can be open even though the shop itself is closed? so you could have say ~10-20 people with keys to access the track/lights/power etc for after hours use, but not be able to get inside the shop. (premium membership type deal maybe?)

there's a lot of young guys around (14-18yo) who are extremely knowledgeable when it comes to rc, and im sure they'd all love a part time job working in a hobby shop

anyway, my lunch break went for an extra 15 mins already, time to do some more work ;D
Old 07-03-2004, 02:35 AM
Tech Rookie

There's a bit of this sort of thing in the pipeworks at the moment. What do you Vic guys think of this?

http://www.ausrc.com/forum/forum_pos...012&PN=1&TPN=1

http://www.rcmadhouse.com/

Seems ideally placed to poach/help/hinder/support members from Dandenong. TFTR, BRCCC, Knox.

Could be a good thing. Could be a bad thing.

I just visted Hobby Station in QLD. They're just starting up but seem like they might make a go of it.

Thoughts, wisdom, comments anyone??

Pete Jones
Old 07-03-2004, 03:23 AM
Tech Master

DAMN, well there go my plans, how can you compete with that, although i am very intereasted in the off-road side of it

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service