Lipo batterries
A good multiple battery charger

traxxas.com/products/electric/erevo5608/trx_erevo5608.htm

Can anyone reco a good store in Sydney?

Plus what price I should be looking for
Old 06-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I dont know any sydney stores but your better off shipping from the US, i got mine for $800 to my door, but locally they are around $1100, you'd be doing well to get one for under a grand in Aus.

I'd recommend hobby king for batteries and chargers, you can get 4 decent lipos for the price of one locally, the accucel chargers are good value for money as well. and you'd be able to get 2 chargers for less then 1 locally or you can just get a wiring harness to charge in series or parallel.

I have about 10 HK batteries and have only had one fail (puncture from a stone) and they never puff or get hot. I run 2S 5000 30C in my erbe and get about 17 - 18 minutes of flat out driving (racing), for $25 a battery they cant be beat for value.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kermitAUSTRALIA
Hi all

I am looking to buy a stock or modded E revo 1/10 brushless,
Lipo batterries
A good multiple battery charger

traxxas.com/products/electric/erevo5608/trx_erevo5608.htm

Can anyone reco a good store in Sydney?

Plus what price I should be looking for
how about this for $599 inc shipping.
http://www.rchobbies.com.au/store/pr...c4cc5d38210b97

not brushless but you could buy a tekin rx8 2000kv combo and you'd be under $1k and it would be heaps smoother than the stock erbe.

or you could get the erbe for $1050 from them straight up.

if you visit them in person, i'm sure they'll give u a discount.. Talk to Oscar, he's tops!
Old 06-08-2010, 04:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nogas
I dont know any sydney stores but your better off shipping from the US, i got mine for $800 to my door, but locally they are around $1100, you'd be doing well to get one for under a grand in Aus.

I'd recommend hobby king for batteries and chargers, you can get 4 decent lipos for the price of one locally, the accucel chargers are good value for money as well. and you'd be able to get 2 chargers for less then 1 locally or you can just get a wiring harness to charge in series or parallel.

I have about 10 HK batteries and have only had one fail (puncture from a stone) and they never puff or get hot. I run 2S 5000 30C in my erbe and get about 17 - 18 minutes of flat out driving (racing), for $25 a battery they cant be beat for value.
Batteries from hobbyking ?= junk low grade from the bottom of the pile from chinese factory's thats why they are cheap .

chargers are junk to they dont have the correct charging patterns .

not puff ?run a high quality esc system that draws lots of current and you will see your 30c will puff like puff pastry if it is really 30c .
Old 06-08-2010, 04:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by COBRARACING
Batteries from hobbyking ?= junk low grade from the bottom of the pile from chinese factory's thats why they are cheap .

not puff ?run a high quality esc system that draws lots of current and you will see your 30c will puff like puff pastry if it is really 30c .
charger (accucel) is the same as the B6 etc, I've had mine for over a year not bought from HK but locally, except for a sticking button there's no dramas, bought a B6 charger and within a few days the screen went blank
No dramas with the batteries not the best but the do what it says on the packet,
I've heard some Knowledgable racers say some positive comments about HKbatteries
if you buy crap, yes it may go wrong, but if you buy (supposedly) quality it may also fail, so what's the point of throwing 2, 3 4 times the money away
Old 06-08-2010, 05:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by littlejohn
how about this for $599 inc shipping.
http://www.rchobbies.com.au/store/pr...c4cc5d38210b97

not brushless but you could buy a tekin rx8 2000kv combo and you'd be under $1k and it would be heaps smoother than the stock erbe.

or you could get the erbe for $1050 from them straight up.

if you visit them in person, i'm sure they'll give u a discount.. Talk to Oscar, he's tops!
Just keep in mind if you went that route you'd need to buy a single motor mount as well. The brushed version also comes with 14mm hubs that dont handle the brushless power very well. Upgrading to the 17mm hubs will give you more tyre / wheel options too.

Originally Posted by COBRARACING

Glad you had some valuable input to the thread, the OP really benefited from your wealth of knowledge. HK must be hurting your bottom line?

For the record, I've seen more "quality" packs go pffff then HK's. Yes HK packs are made in china (like lots of other "quality" brand name packs) and may lack the punch of hyps or TP's but they are made to a price point and offer better value for money then almost any packs on the market, atleast you get what you pay for, unlike some of the overpriced name brand packs getting around.

So you dont consider a MMM neu combo quality? i've been running zippy's and turnigy's in my erbe for over 7 months and have probably cycled each set around 40 -50 times, no puff pastry yet. but I like puff pastry, so cant wait.

Originally Posted by old_skoolie
charger (accucel) is the same as the B6 etc, I've had mine for over a year not bought from HK but locally, except for a sticking button there's no dramas, bought a B6 charger and within a few days the screen went blank
No dramas with the batteries not the best but the do what it says on the packet,
I've heard some Knowledgable racers say some positive comments about HKbatteries
if you buy crap, yes it may go wrong, but if you buy (supposedly) quality it may also fail, so what's the point of throwing 2, 3 4 times the money away
Too true, i know i'd rather buy 4 HK packs then 1 "quality" pack any day.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nogas
Just keep in mind if you went that route you'd need to buy a single motor mount as well. The brushed version also comes with 14mm hubs that dont handle the brushless power very well. Upgrading to the 17mm hubs will give you more tyre / wheel options too.

For the record, I've seen more "quality" packs go pffff then HK's. Yes HK packs are made in china (like lots of other "quality" brand name packs) and may lack the punch of hyps or TP's but they are made to a price point and offer better value for money then almost any packs on the market, atleast you get what you pay for, unlike some of the overpriced name brand packs getting around.

So you dont consider a MMM neu combo quality? i've been running zippy's and turnigy's in my erbe for over 7 months and have probably cycled each set around 40 -50 times, no puff pastry yet. but I like puff pastry, so cant wait.

Too true, i know i'd rather buy 4 HK packs then 1 "quality" pack any day.
Yes.. I fully understand that going the OS online shop route is cheaper, but the OP asked specifically for a shop in sydney.

I also agree that HK lipos are great value for money, but please don't say they are the same of "just as good" as Thunder Powers, Hyperions or other long time reputable lipo brands.

I have actually done head to head comparo between Fantom 4s 5000mah 40c and the HK equivalent.
The HKs dumped sooner, and was puffed like a balloon after the session. Even though the Fantoms were 6 months older.
The HKs were in a Ve8 that was geared much more conservatively than the Losi8 running off Fantoms.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I like the HKs, for bashing around they're perfect... will even take the occasional race meet.
But imo, if you're racing hard every weekend then Lipos from a long time reputable brand is worth the extra $$.

I think its important to remember that an under-performing lipo can cause your esc to go up in smoke or worse case.. your whole car.
Sure this can happen with any lipo, but the risk it much reduced with the "better" brands..

I might also add that with every passing year, the gap gets smaller and smaller between budget and "brand" name lipos. 18mths ago, no sensible person would even consider a no name lipo. But today, budget lipos like HKs are very good value for money.

my 2c
Old 06-09-2010, 05:38 AM
Tech Addict

Hey littlejohn, no drama's with anything your saying, in fact i totally agree. The only comparison i made was admitting that HK packs lacked the punch of the better packs. I'm fully aware they fall well short of the performance that hyps, and the other top of the line packs, offer but HK's are without doubt, the best value for money packs around. IMO

Comparing hyperions to HK's is like comparing Ferrari's to Hyundai's. Its a no brainer but i cant afford a Ferrari Let alone 4

The thing that gets me is the local shops that sell IP's and venoms for up to $175 a pack.