Wiki Posts
Search

help with new start in racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 06:30 AM
Tech Regular

Default help with new start in racing

Gday all,

I am looking into getting into either electric off-road/on-road racing, i have previously racing nitro for a year or so and i am just wondering on what i should get in the form of kits, equipment etc, and possiblily the best place to get it.

thanks alot
Nick
Old 05-01-2004, 07:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think the best way to decide it to look at where you live compared to where the tracks are,

I chose 1:10 scale on road touring because of the close number of good tracks a short distance from where I live.

are you going all out or do you have a limited budget?
Old 05-01-2004, 04:42 PM
Tech Regular

Nick,

I tried both off-road and on-road but I really like the cross overs between setting up a on road racer as setting up a real car.

btw. I have a Factory Team TC3 for sale in the For sale thread you should have a look at if you are leaning towards on-road.

Cheers,

Mossie
Old 05-02-2004, 01:07 AM
Tech Regular

I live in the bankstown area so most tracks are the same distance to get to, i was leaning towards off-road mainly becuase i have always liked the sort of racing. my budget would be about $1000ish maybe a bit more
Old 05-02-2004, 01:13 AM
Tech Regular

well my advice would be then, stick with what you like. If you are interested in off road you will probably find it more enjoyable.

Cheers,

Mossie
Old 05-02-2004, 02:29 AM
Tech Elite

i was leaning towards off-road mainly becuase i have always liked the sort of racing.
If you would like to drop over to Castle Hill off road meeting next Sunday, drop me a line and I will let you know where we hide.

Either PM me or call on 0411299150
Peter
Old 05-02-2004, 03:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by AussieGuy
I live in the bankstown area so most tracks are the same distance to get to, i was leaning towards off-road mainly becuase i have always liked the sort of racing. my budget would be about $1000ish maybe a bit more
come on nick go onroad! $1000 aus gets you a great car motor and radio!

-mugen mtx3 $500 pro spec; $? i think online hobbies.com.au sells the pro for $700
-nsr12s3 with nova pipe; $300 latest nova motor. yep you can get the pipe AND motor for $300
-mars radio(old type non "R"); $200. these are cheap as chips now that the R and futuba supa dupa radios are out

all prices OS HK of course

x2 futuba 3003 servos $50

Old 05-02-2004, 04:47 AM
Tech Addict

You should come to Castle hill offroad and have a look.

Where you after a nitro or electric offroad car.

If you what a gas truck I have one for sale.

It's one of the quickest trucks at Castle Hill.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:03 AM
Tech Adept

He said electric in the intial post so that means that Castle Hill is definitely one place to go for either on or off road.

If you really can't decide which you'd prefer, watching them at the track might help you, although actually driving it is the real thrill of course.

I chose off-road (1/8 nitro buggy) because I can run it in my own yard if I want, and obstacles like gutters generally don't stop me In fact, the 1/8 buggies are so much like tanks that not much stops or breaks them.

With your budget, are you allowing for on-going costs? Batteries, motors, chargers and tyres are probably what you're looking at for electric. You could go cheap with chargers like the Omni one I'm selling, or expensive with a CDC (or similar charger) for over $200! Your $1,000 might run out fast if it's all you've got.

Cheers, Oggy.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:27 AM
Tech Master

aussieguy- go off road, its cheaper, you dont need the killer cells and motors to be competitive or win, you become a better driver because its actually challenging compared to on road snoring car, and dam its just more fun
Old 05-02-2004, 03:38 PM
Tech Addict

Yeah, the motors and batteries aren't so important in offroad. You can give away a bit of speed on the straights and make it up easier with driving (well some people can anyway ). If you don't have to have the best of these things it will basically make for cheaper racing.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Talking

The off-roaders are right Aussieguy,

You can pick up a new RTR B4, or a S\H 2wd buggy complete for under $500 easy ,I sold a near brand new B3 (when the B4 came out) for $400 ,with 5 2000mah packs, a charger, wheel radio, spare parts, and a 540 motor.

The kid who bought it ,has had it for almost a year now, and has only spent $7 on a bottle of shock oil..!.

If you start out , with 540 , you can work on your driving more than setup .

If you live in Syd. have a look at the indoor cmc track .

Running on slicks there is awesome fun.

And remember you can't jump a tourer 40ft through the air at BMX tracks either.

All the best
Old 05-02-2004, 10:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by OldSkool

And remember you can't jump a tourer 40ft through the air at BMX tracks either
Obviously missed the May 2002 Auto Salon Event in Sydney. There were some pretty large jumps by a couple of the electric sedans.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:24 AM
Tech Regular

thanks guys for the help, yeh looks like off-road will be the go for now, i will definately ventre back into nitro on-road later, does castle hill run a 4wd buggy class or just 2wd?, only thing that is holding me back is the my job atm but that will b sorted out soon
Old 05-03-2004, 07:15 PM
Tech Addict

Castle Hill runs both 4wd mod, 2wd Stock and Mod. They also run Electric Truck (mod) and Nitro Truck. We're also starting to see a good novice class emerge also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.