Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brisbane's first Hobby Shop + Track

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 03:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yep, no worries, let's get the dirt and make a start. Do we have a source to get the dirt? I can't remember where we got the last lot from, but it was very hard to use because of the way it "clumped" together. But I think it was free, so can't complain.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

guys the answer is simple.

The track is the way it is because no one is interested in maintaining the track. The track maintenance can NOT and SHOULD not be left to the race night. People are happy to race then bitch and carry on about the crap surface - but they don't seem to be prepared to put the work in to actually keep it that way.

There have been a select few that have busted their arse to maintain the track, however (myself included) have now got to a point where we are saying "Why bother?" I/we no longer have the time to be at the track maintaining it when there is only a hand full of people there willing to help out.

It comes down to this:

WE HAVE CLAY ON CALL
WE CAN ORGANISE EQUIPMENT easily
WE LACK SUPPORT - it doesn't take much but 1 or 2 people is NOT enough

People have put up their hands to help, thats great, but last time we had a working bee we had minimal numbers and a lack of physical support despite plently of "on paper" support.

IF YOU WANT TO RACE on a good track then you HAVE TO BE PREPARED TO MAINTAIN IT. Travis has provided us with a special wetting agent. We really need to get a small amount of high quality clay, a ride on roller and wet the track with the wetting agent to let it settle. But this has to be done by a regualr team of support.

This is my 0.2 but I've been supporting and running this track since the beggining and i'm tired of it being left to a handful of people to keep it running.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I will source the dirt, prices and transport of it. You can complain if the dirt is free, if it is crap dirt. You need to start with a good quality base for a track, been involved in building them for years and we have had some great tracks up here. i will make calls tomorrow. I will also try and get a reasonably priced Bobcat for a couple of hours, makes a big job very light work and they can also flatten the surface more evenly. A ride on Heavy roller is a fantastic Idea. Have had weird working hours the last few years but no they are stable, I can commit to helping out a lot more. I will talk with Steve Smith about the type of dirt required and the amount.
Please start thinking of a track Design, I will also talk with Darren Perry (designer of the current Ipswich track) about a suitable layout and we can look at what will work best for the room we have.
I will post with prices and timeframes.

Chris
Old 05-21-2006, 01:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

The clay we have open to us is currently free and I can request a high grade or any particular type and he should be able to source it. I will ask him.

We've been using the Clark Equipment mob accross the road for bobcats because they waive the transport cost of the bobcat.

But see what you can organise.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FatIdiotRacing
I will source the dirt, prices and transport of it.
The only place I'm aware that sell 100% clay is:
NEILSEN'S QUALITY GRAVELS PTY LTD
Brendale Johnstone Rd 4500
(07) 3205 5599

This is the same surface that was put onto Pine Hill in '97 and on Ipswich for the last 3 years.

The clay itself is only $5/ton, but the transport is the killer.... to Ipswich is cost us between $17 to $22 per ton, (depending on how well I sucked up). Of course it will be less transporting it to Archerfield, my guess it would be $10 to $15 per ton.... Also, be aware that you can't get any clay out of the quarry for several days after rain.

Regards,
Peter
Old 05-21-2006, 05:09 PM
Tech Addict

I drove the bobcat last time and will be more than happy to do so again but i do agree the last lot of clay was just plain crap and very hard to work with. Good quality clay and a nice heavy roller and no probs bring on a great track.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:02 PM
Tech Addict

Default For sale

Ok time for another major cleanout so here goes.

Ill always give the local guys first dibs then onto ebay it will go.

2x Hpi Pro 4 with bodys and spares $200 each

2x Novak GTX speedys $150 each Deals Pending

1x Eagle Amod Comm lathe $200

Im sure theres more but this is a start.

Thanks Justin Hughes

Wow sure went quick.

Last edited by Why Try?; 05-24-2006 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Update
Old 05-22-2006, 09:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

YGPM

2x Novak GTX speedys $150 each

1x Ctx motor master $100

Thanks Justin Hughes[/QUOTE]
Old 05-22-2006, 09:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

YGPM about a RDX
Old 05-23-2006, 01:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

On Road racing is on tomorrow night, noms from 6, racing at 7. Classes include 540, 19 turn, Mini and anything else that shows up So tell your friends... be there or be watching the footy, TV at HS so no excuses...
Old 05-23-2006, 01:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Track Maintenence

Guys,

All those interested to help rebuild/pe[air the Off Road track. A couple of us,(myself and Steve Smith) will be working on the track tomorrow arvo and Thursday arvo of this week. We are also changing the layout a bit. Has already started to be changed so it should be great. this will be ready for use on the next race meet. If you dont show up to help don't whinge you dont like the track or surface.
We think it should be great.

Have fun

Chris
Old 05-23-2006, 06:14 AM
Tech Adept

Talking

Mini's Rock!!!
Old 05-23-2006, 01:40 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Today we'll be doing some cleaning of the track from 10am (track will be closed till about 4) and preparation in time for tonight. I doubt you will need traction compound tonight but if you do remember it's the last time you can use it - banned from next week, no exceptions.

We'll be running 540 / stock / mod as usual but if there are any 19t they will run with mod until they get enough for their own heats and Mini will run with 540 unless there are enough for their own heat.

The plan will be to run 4 rounds, run through each round very quickly and then have a break between rounds. Bring charged batteries cause there won't be a lot of time if we want to get 4 races in and finish on time.

No doubt we will get a few breaks as Qld demolish the blues in the Origin match as well.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Track is prepared.
Computer is set up.
TV is tested.
Batteries are charging.
Can life get any better ?

Spose it depends if my new Mini is worth the $50 I paid for it, and how many laughs I get racing it.

I'm on the lookout for a 29mhz FM receiver if anyone has one lying around.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Thumbs up Good luck

Can't make it tonite

14 year olds birthday
want even see QLD thrush NSW

Good Luck to All

Will see you next Week

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.