Wiki Posts
Search

Brisbane's first Hobby Shop + Track

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 03:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Traction Compound

The flip side to remember is traction compound makes an easy solution to poor grip.
The first time I tried 'Paragon', I was amazed at the difference it made. I haven't used the stuff at any other track than Hobbystation (mainly Bayside) - felt no need.

With the hard - unforgiving barriers at Hobbystation, poor grip will inevitably lead to more cars sliding, hitting the sides and breaking things. The current bunch of front-runners in modified know how to get the most out of their car setup and may not as disavantaged as the beginners and intermediate racers (myself).

I'm still learning (never stop learning) how to best apply the power from modified motors. Reducing the amount of possible traction will make this even harder and potentially more costly on spare-parts.

I'm all for keeping the off-road cars off the track
I'm all for regular cleaning of the on-road track
but I will wait and see what traction is going to be like after the first track wash-down before I give up on the magic of 'Paragon'.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:44 PM
Tech Addict

Hey mat yeah i want to race offroad this weekend as do the other boys so just hoping it will still be on.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Tech Adept

I hope it is on! I finally got the the parts to fix my Ezilla.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:52 PM
Tech Addict

Thinking about getting a 1/8th buggy as well as they looked like heaps of fun at the last meet well heres hoping its on.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'll be there to help run off road, as far as I know it's still on, I havn't been informed otherwise.

Also, I'll keep an eye on the on road track.... Mr T pity's the fool who run muddy trucks inside.

As for running mod with no traction additive, well, we're trying to promote 19 Turn class over mod as a more "natural" stepping stone up from stock. I'm all for it.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

19turn... pfft!

2 words.... brushless stock!

however i think tones might get angry at me if i suggest brushless as a control class

*runs away*
Old 05-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

*sits on the sideline as I watch tones running after jaybo swinging a brushless motor and speedy like a set of nun-chucks*
Old 05-19-2006, 07:08 PM
Tech Addict

Hi The off road is on, as the lighting tower is in place and weather looks good.

So let's have a good off road racing night!!!!

Will also have pie and sauage roll hot and ready too!!!
Old 05-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Tech Addict

For the driftr using the track, I will have to say, with the new rubbery coumpond as oppose to PVC (powdery) which they were using before, it should not do much impact to the traction of the track. As they are rubbery, and the fall off is very big size , which can be sweep off.

But rather what is important is the track clean (even just weekly) it will make lots of different.

Rmember the invitational event, the track was in top conditions, but we didn't need to even wash the track. But thanks to the club effort of sweeping and using the blower.

Anyhow, I am fully committed to keep the track in top condition.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Off Road Track

Originally Posted by 555
Anyhow, I am fully committed to keep the track in top condition.
It would be great if someone was fully committed to keeping the offroad track in top condition.
I didnt mind the track last night, it was the same for everyone. But comments for other drivers I heard throughout the evening were......

1. "I paid ten dollars to race on this?"
2. "This is the roughest offroad track I have driven on in TEN YEARS!"
3. "I should have stayed home and watched the footy!"

Now, I know it is easy for me to sit here typing about how bad the condition of the off-road track is. But we had three races in a round last night. And it wasnt only due to the Queensland Gas titles. There werent many electrics there either.
If the track continues in the condition it is then offroad will die in South East QLD and I don't want that to happen.
So here is my proposal....

With Leo's permission, I would like to work on the track a couple of afternoons per week to get it up to scratch. I would like anyone interested in lending a hand to contact myself, (via this thread) or my personal email address. [email protected]

Leo, can you send me a message on here if you are in ok with me working on the track. We had an on-roader come back to off road last night that I brought with me, and on the drive home he said HE WONT BE BACK!!!!!! That is very sad.

If Off road is to survive, which it can, (it has in the past gotten more numbers than on-road at hobbystation) We NEED to do this.

Once again if anyone wants to help, then PM me here.

Can I also suggest we start racing around lunchtime on Saturday's then we can do without the lights. It isn't that hot during the day anymore. That will make it cheaper for the club.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:43 AM
Tech Adept

Just post what days you can do it so everyone knows. I can help for a little while most afternoons except Thursday, and if I have to do O/T.

Also, the club has a little money that can be spent on basic tools for the track as well.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:05 AM
Tech Regular

I can do it any afternoon that there will be someone to help. If we spend a couple of hours(till it gets dark) working on it, we will have it in shape in a few arvos.
I can bring some tools, any money the club could spend on the track could be spent on materials. Maybe we could gets some soil and make a new layout???

Chris
Old 05-21-2006, 01:47 AM
Tech Adept

One idea that I had was to hire a rotary hoe, dig up the surface to approx 1/2 a metre deep so there's no "clods" remaining, rake the surface to get rid of rocks etc., and then water/roll it. This will provide a "fresh" surface.

There was someone racing one week who had somthing to do with Coates hire, but sorry, can't remember his name or what he looks like, he mentioned we may be able to obtain items like that for cheap or even free!

If people don't start posting that they're going to help, then they will lose the track all together, I don't even race off road at the moment, so it makes no difference to me!
Old 05-21-2006, 02:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default off-road track at hs

Originally Posted by FatIdiotRacing
I can do it any afternoon that there will be someone to help. If we spend a couple of hours(till it gets dark) working on it, we will have it in shape in a few arvos.
I can bring some tools, any money the club could spend on the track could be spent on materials. Maybe we could gets some soil and make a new layout???

Chris
i deffently agree with chris,
the track is in not that good condition. maybe starting a new layout is the answer, then just water/roll it properly. the 2nd round of the interclub grandslam is just around the corner at hobbystation. and with my opion it would be a shame if the track was left like that for this event.
good luck chris, good to see you putting in a hand.
cheers matt.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:51 AM
Tech Regular

I dont think a rotary hoe is the way to go, possibly a bobcat would work better. Some soil and a new layout, some water and some jump with the faces lightly concreted would be the best way to go. I have Steve Smith willing to lend a hand so I am sure we can come up with something

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.