Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brisbane's first Hobby Shop + Track

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 02:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

State of Origin is certainly an issue for next Wed night. Anyway we have a TV at the track so why not come on down - you can watch while you aren't racing or marshalling.

In fact much of the joy of rc is getting to hang out at the track with your mates - much like watching state of origin - so even if you aren't going to race why not come down and watch the footy with us. From the upstairs lounge you can watch both the racing and the footy - get better.

While I'm on here let me tell you some news that is going to be good for most and I expect not so good for others. We are cleaning the track (steam or some other way) before the 31st race meet. From and including 31st there will be no traction compounds allowed to be used at Hobby Station Indoor facility it will be totally banned. This has the support of the top mod drivers and if they can get traction without it then so can everyone else.

We expect that the added bonus, of you not having to mess with dangerous chemicals, will be that the pit rooms will take on a new odour without the eye watering stink of additive in the air constantly.

Also there will be some spray bottles of "Spray and Wipe" and a rag around each pit room and if you use our tables we expect you to give them a quick spray and wipe when you finish.

We want the racing to be fun but also the facility to be a significant part of the pleasant way to spend your leisure time.

Don't forget to charge some packs before you come as there probably won't be masses of time between races.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:16 PM
Tech Adept

When do tyre warmers go on sale?
Old 05-16-2006, 06:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by heavy
... the pit rooms will take on a new odour without the eye watering stink of additive in the air constantly.
The eyes will problably be watering from the new odours unless everyone has to have manditory showers - or atleast everyone washes their feet
Old 05-16-2006, 06:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

yeah, the paragon did work well at masking the other smells
Old 05-16-2006, 06:50 PM
Tech Rookie

There are effective traction compounds that are almost odourless.
Does banning traction compound mean we are effectively obliged to purchase tyre warmers together with power supply etc etc (I won't be giving up any tea space).
Old 05-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Tech Regular

lack of odour doesn't necessarily mean it's not harmful

i'd much prefer to be using a foul smelling product than something just as harmful that smells of roses.

what are the reasons behind banning the compounds? costs? health? other?
Old 05-17-2006, 12:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Works for me....

It'll be inline with Brendale, also not allowing traction compound, means I shouldn't need multiple sets of tyres for both venues.

People use warmers with or without compound, so it's not a big deal if you don't have them anyway. Warmers from Much More aren't too badly priced anyway, I use mine with a motor checker set to 7.2 volts, or just use a battery.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have to say that the decision to ban traction compounds at Hobbystation is a very good decision indeed

Besides from the health issues involved with additives, there is also the cost, not so much the purchase of the additives themselves (though that can be a sizeable investment if you intend to experiment), but rather the adverse effect additives have on tyre wear.

Racing will be cheaper, fairer, & healthier - you cant ask for more than that
Old 05-17-2006, 01:59 AM
Tech Regular

i'm on the fence regarding this partly because i am not convinced banning compound will make racing cheaper or tires last longer.

the increased tire wear can be avoided or reduced by limiting the use of compound eg. every second/third/fourth run. people may also start running cooler/softer tyres to get more grip, which will increase the rate of wear.

regarding health risks, i'd be much more concerned about sitting in the sun at bayside all day than a bit of traction compound in the air at hs...
Old 05-17-2006, 09:15 PM
Tech Addict

To be honest i hate rubber tyres and would much rather just run foam.No warmers.No tyre stuff and with right setup they wear pretty even as well.Im afraid rubber is why i have stayed away from the bigger events lately.But the masses have spoken and thats the way it is.

On another note i take it offroad isnt on this week with the meakin event on???.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Personally I don't want to run traction compound, and I don't want to run "1 run" tyres. So I'll be working to find the best tyre/insert that gives reasonable grip for reasonable life. I'll be more than happy to publish that information so that others can use the same combo.

What I want to be able to do is go to HObbystation on Wednesday nights and have:
a. Great, close, competitive, fun racing on a track in good condition
b. A enjoyable night out with the boys at a venue that is in good shape

I think I can say that they are the two goals we'll be working towards...
Old 05-18-2006, 05:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

ey jussie, as far as i'm aware, racing is on, i'll check with leo on the interest but i think mekain will only attract the gas guys? not sure, ppl post yours thoughts
Old 05-18-2006, 01:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Apart from all the other reason allready stated, banning traction compound will line us up with brendale, Bayside and Beaudesert so theoretically you can use the same tyres at all those venues. As for tyre warmers in my opinion they are vastly overrated especially with teh battery capacity we have these days which means you can get out early and dod a couple of laps to get your tyres up anyway. So it's rubber tyres and no traction compound.

While I'm here let me also introduce another bit of good / bad news. Offroad cars are totally banned from the indoor track - aimed at keeping the mud off the track. We don't want teh track to be good for Wednesdays nights - we want it to be good every day so practice can be real as well.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Heavy,

That's great to hear about the banning of offroad cars on the indoor track.

What's happening with the drifters??? As they are the main cause of the problems with the track surface.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I realise everyone here if ask has an opinion on most things regards RC (including myself)…. But can I encourage those that are staunchly against the move to “no traction compounds” to at least give it a go at this venue. I’m not suggesting you’ll be convince in agreeing with the banning, but at least you’ll have an awareness and an inform opinion.

Personally I was grounded in this same position several years ago over the debate about rubbers/foams. I considered myself to be the last person on the planet to be convinced rubbers are better then foams. Now I wouldn’t have it any other way….

All I’m saying is try the Venue without the stuff and see how it goes…. The progress of this new initiative will be closely monitored I’m sure….

PS> My stance on anything nitro still remains however…..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.