Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
Pine Hills Dirt Racing (Arana Hills Brisbane Qld) >

Pine Hills Dirt Racing (Arana Hills Brisbane Qld)

Like Tree1Likes

Pine Hills Dirt Racing (Arana Hills Brisbane Qld)

Old 04-18-2004, 05:20 PM
Tech Regular

Default Pine Hills Dirt Racing (Arana Hills Brisbane Qld)

Pine Hills Dirt Racing
www.pinehillsdirtracing.com

racing 1/8 buggy 1/8 truggy and 1/8 electric at Arana Hills click here
video
membership info
membership form

check the website for more info

Last edited by redcatster; 03-16-2011 at 01:16 AM. Reason: update
Old 04-18-2004, 08:15 PM
Tech Regular

Default Hi

Hi guys,

we have a forum again so lets make good use of it.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:48 AM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Hi

Originally posted by ADZY
Hi guys,

we have a forum again so lets make good use of it.
Are you and Damien going up to Mirriamvale???
Old 04-19-2004, 12:58 AM
Tech Regular

Default Miriam Vale

Hi guys,

Damien and i are going how about you guys
Old 04-19-2004, 01:45 AM
Tech Addict

yes, we are along with about 10 others from our club.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Exclamation 2004 QLD Off-Road Titles - Charters Towers

Guys, For your info'
If your interested in attending the Titles, here are some Motels for you to consider.

Cattleman's Rest 3.5 Star $85 4787 3555
Heritage Lodge 4 Star $92 4787 4088
Country Road 3.5 Star $72 4787 2422
Park Motel 3 Star $79 4787 1022

Barbara Davies (Charters Towers Club) said that Evil Twins, X-2000, Taper Pins, and (don't ask me why) Bow Ties are the tyres of choice at the track.

This is on the Queens Birthday weekend.

Entry Forms and photo's of the track are at this address
http://www.orrcaqld.org.au/Major%20events.htm

Regards,
Peter
Old 04-19-2004, 07:24 AM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Whoa!! Looks like you can race on-road cars on that track! Thanks for getting this forum up and running again! Only problem is they mispelled "Brisbane".

Cheers,

Ruben

Last edited by Elkewlbeanz; 04-19-2004 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:40 AM
Tech Regular

Hey Damien.. do you know if the track layout is still open for suggestions? What kind of track surface is it going to be? Those 1/8 scale buggies are definitely going to take their toll on the track.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:21 PM
Tech Regular

Default Track surface

We're going to use a clay loam mix but I'm sure if we keep the track maintainence up there won't be a problem.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Track surface

Originally posted by dazyz
We're going to use a clay loam mix but I'm sure if we keep the track maintainence up there won't be a problem.
You may already know this and don't need someone like me to comment, but during heavy rain the loam can wash out of the clay mix which can develop bad rutting of the surface.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:34 PM
Tech Regular

Default Track surface

Thanks for your input 2-Bad, I've never had any experience with different track compounds before so we are sort of guessing with the clay loam mix. Is the Ipswich track straight clay or does it contain some loam?

Do you think if the track is designed with good drainage in mind the run off issue could be overcome?
Old 04-19-2004, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Track surface

Originally posted by dazyz
Thanks for your input 2-Bad, I've never had any experience with different track compounds before so we are sort of guessing with the clay loam mix. Is the Ipswich track straight clay or does it contain some loam?

Do you think if the track is designed with good drainage in mind the run off issue could be overcome?
Ipswich is 100% clay. Initially suffering from cracking, but the cause has been suggested to be that it's too thin, (Thickness would have been better if around 8 to 12"). It seems to be setting down now.

Pine Hills Track
Drainage can help, but it's the surface water run-off that can erode the track. Water will struggle to wash clay away, but just about everything else will disappear over time.

Originally the Hills Track was 100% loam, very costly, high maintenance.
In 1996/97 Keith Mackrill & I selected clay for the Pine Hills track but the then committee was not entirely convinced of it's reputation and the main straight remained made of loam. Needless to say, the main straight was replaced with clay eventually. Clay is cheap, and although it is hard to manipulate into a smooth surface, the track maintenance is low and will have longevity in wear. We hardly touch the clay surface for 6 months in 97.

In recent years more clay has been added to the Hills Track, but this clay seems to have contain more rock and sand. This is a watch-point when ordering clay material, as the rock helps bind the track, but increases the likelihood of damage to cars driving on it.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Peter
Old 04-19-2004, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

imho, clay is the only way to go (especially from an electric and maintianance viewpoint).

ideally a reasonable thickness of clay needs to be layed down to prevent cracking/break up etc.

over the years, the last 2 loads of dirt have been the best.. the dark clays cracked up too much and were a pain to maintain.

the latest one was a bit thin, that's why its down to alot of rocks and sand coming up through it now... but when it was 1st put in it was smooth and rock free for quite a long time.

i spose for all the rain there's been, with very little maintainance that thin layer of clay has done pretty well.

when the new track goes in, something to think about might be the start up of an atleast montly working bee (especially if 1/8th scale are going to start running there?).

perhaps something like bonus points for the standings or a reduced race fee for those who attend working bees might be a way to encourage more to help. recently all the track work has fallen on the shoulders of only a couple of people.

the other thing that would help maintainance alot, would be (if possible) a fence along the carpark side of the area. just to not allow 100% free acces by bikes to the track and hopefully give the impression its fenced off for a reason.
back when there was alot of rain we were forever spending hours on the track just patching up the ruts from the bikes.

hope to be back out there soon.

Last edited by tones; 04-19-2004 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:49 PM
Tech Regular

I concur with Tones.. I believe that red clay would be the way to go. Like 2-Bad mentioned, 8" - 12" of this clay would be sufficient enough to prevent any deep cracks on the surface. Plus, red clay tends to blue groove better IMO. Fencing the track area would be a great idea but it would depend on our budget.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:51 PM
Tech Regular

Default Track Layout

Originally posted by Elkewlbeanz
Hey Damien.. do you know if the track layout is still open for suggestions? What kind of track surface is it going to be? Those 1/8 scale buggies are definitely going to take their toll on the track.
I think that the track layout won't be finalized until the day it's built. We have a rough idea of what we want but the finer details of jumps and corners will be sorted out on the day i guess.

What ideas did you have?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service