Wiki Posts
Search

235 - Quietly into the night

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 10:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 235 - Quietly into the night

i guess the lack of comment points directly to lack of popularity of the class... but ifmar has dropped the 235mm wc race due to lack of interest (orion report's 15 entries)

does this sound the death nell of what is proported to be technically a much better class than 200mm?

having never raced the class i cant comment, other than say the market seems to have spoken - time to leave tribal council

of course this means not much locally, initally at least... long term the outlook must be something more akin to elect. pro10
Old 03-29-2004, 10:55 PM
BG
Tech Addict

No point in bringing up this argument again. There has been a lengthy discussion about the 235mm class. Those that have raced it know all about it. Those that havent are just pissing in the wind.

Those 15 entrys were for the worlds warmup, and they havent even started receiving entrys for the actual worlds titles.

I have submitted and bougth myself a nitro tourer but all i can say is that it so much more expensive to maintain and keep it at the top. I guess thats why i changed classes and have gone electric. Go the LOSI

Cheers

Bill Giannitis
Old 03-30-2004, 07:35 PM
Tech Addict

I hope the class gets over this little hicup also
having said that i also have electic cars as a back up

Bill is right though the cost of running a Nitro tourer compered to a 235mm is through the roof i reckon i runh my 235mm on half the budget it used to cost me when i ran tourers
Old 03-31-2004, 12:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by David

Bill is right though the cost of running a Nitro tourer compered to a 235mm is through the roof i reckon i runh my 235mm on half the budget it used to cost me when i ran tourers
Excuse the ignorance guys, I run a couple of nitro tourers but am at a loss as to where you could save money by running the 235 mm class. Shit, if I can run a fast car and have it cost me less then the 235 mm class is looking good to me!
Old 03-31-2004, 12:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

having driven my first 235 at the act titles on sunday i am hooked although i didnt race just a tank on the track the feeling of these cars is unbelievable point and squirt. one of the reasons y u can run these cheaper is the fact these are strong- in the final one of the guys from my club had a runaway hit a gutter at about 100 dead straight only damage was really a snapped chassis if it was a 200mm tourer id hate to see it now. and parts arent that expensive. Now just gotta find a cheap 2nd hand one and ill be joining the ranks
Old 03-31-2004, 02:21 AM
Tech Addict

good on ya dangles our class needs a little support right now not slayers with there knifes poised
Old 03-31-2004, 02:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by THE ROCK
Excuse the ignorance guys, I run a couple of nitro tourers but am at a loss as to where you could save money by running the 235 mm class. Shit, if I can run a fast car and have it cost me less then the 235 mm class is looking good to me!
they are built heaps stronger then a tourer (check one out next time you see one), tryes last a long time ( read at least a couple of meeting maybe more), parts are the same price as tourers and they use .15 engines which cost around the same a competitive .12 but are more powerful and far less streesed
they handle much better then tourers so are easier to drive also
Old 03-31-2004, 02:42 AM
Tech Addict

a good chance to see just how close they race and how fast these cars are is at the IC NSW titles at Moorebank over the Easter long weekend

i reckon we wil have more entries for the NSW titles then they got for the pre worlds this year.....
Old 03-31-2004, 04:22 AM
Tech Adept

ok bout time i jumped in here
I have ever only raced or been interstead in the 235mm class,
to each their own , all i heard from many people at the club was "why did you buy a 235mm car? nitro tourer is the thing man"
I started racing 3 years ago at Mrccr and with no research i brought a Mugen avance 235mm cause thats what i wanted not what the fad was ,,To me racing was much more than what car you had or what class you run, it was all things to do with being a club member of anything for the first time in my life!.becoming involved in something that i enjoyed "rc racing".Didnt matter that i was the only dude driving a old mugen avance and everyone driving a serpent .. to me the 235mm class is the ultimate Controlled racing class with only now one manufactuer producing car for this class supporting their product ,go Serpent ,, all racers using the same car 3 port engines and %16 nitro ,i can have the same car,fuel,setup,bodystyle,springs,weight,everything as someone else but get aboustly beaten in a race it comes down to the better driving skill (like F1!allmost ,carnt really compare but sort of) to me nitro tourer is a but ploy buy the manufacters as a MONEY spinner cause everyone get rapped up in whos got a better CAR and not who is the better DRIVER..
At a club level 235mm will allways be run cause people like me enjoy it , love it , and want to succeed at it ,at the club level ..Maybe one day ill drive a tourer when there are no manufacturers making them anymore or when i take out a club Championship 235mm trophy (watch out stevie j ) and i have come full circle at the class .... one more is that tourers run .12 engines and im a pETROL HEAD go the big block .15, even if a .12 could put out more rpm and horses than a .15 its still not as big
its like comparing a 4 cylinder that can beat a 351 i dont care about the horses or rpm but my engine is bigger than yours
just my 2c and an insight into a ordanary club racers view on the 235mm scene..
Old 03-31-2004, 12:57 PM
rjl
Tech Fanatic

Guys it's all about "what's selling". 200mm cars were initially not designed for the larger tracks, they were made for parking lot racing. Now we race on 1/8th tracks with these cars and do lap times equal to 235mm. It has become the dominant class because of the fierce competition between manufacturers, a one car class just doesn't appeal to the average punter. Normally a prospective racer will start with a tourer because the hobby shops are full of them and they usually purchase the car based on the body, not the chassis. I can't remember the number of times I've been asked for parts for a Subaru. It really just comes down to numbers and there are not enough 235 entries to make a class anymore. It is a shame.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

"Whats selling"....

There is a quantum leap between the 200mm competition cars by Kyosho, Mugen, Serpent etc; and the pullstart entry level (and RTR) cars that are making up the bulk of sales. I think its more about manufacturers marketing strategy of upgrade paths from pullstart to full-on competition 200mm racers.

Going on what I see on the LHS shelves, I'm surprised 1/8th buggy racing or monster truck racing is not more popular. It seems there are many people out there with these buggies who never go to a race meeting. Dont see much 1/8 onroad or 235mm stuff these days...

Its all about grass roots racing to support the class. If the cars are not readily available in the LHS, racing suffers.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by David

I might come down to Moorebank on Sunday and have a chat to a few of the guy's, but I have to say 235 is sounding GOOOD!!
Old 03-31-2004, 05:24 PM
Tech Addict

Think they need an image revamp...queer eye for the straight guy styles..

Touring car big wheel conversion...rubber of foam options!!
A decent looking sedan body that doesn't look, as someone said, like a hamburger on wheels..

Big is better baby
Old 03-31-2004, 05:50 PM
rjl
Tech Fanatic

It may be with .15 small block engines now available that a new class will develope, time will tell.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the problem with popularity of this class is with the proliferation of the cars... nothing for grass roots drivers to buy and race

where as (has been pointed out) with 200mm there are any number of cars (regardless of worthiness) that someone can buy and put onto the local track

despite running costs 235mm cars are expensive (correct me if im wrong) at +$1000 get in price for a new chassis, engine and pipe (+ body, starter box and radio on top) hardly makes it a prospect for someone with $600 burning a hole in their pocket

thats probably the biggest problem that 235 has to overcome (and granted colt and sts certainly did have a go but in one instance no support and in the second probably too late)

the 235 majors need to look at the strategy of kyosho the "s" series leads to the "r" series and others do similar things with RTR versions of the pro cars and work at getting their cars in car parks rather than prepared tracks (however wonderful)

235 will be raced for a while yet but i would doubt a return to wc status is on the cards

dave you have hardly ever race your 235 at club meets why not? bring it along more often let more people see it run

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.