Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WHEELCHAIR DRIVER STANDS

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 12:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

I am not in a wheel chair for the rest of my life, but i was in one for a while and am still in one on occasion as i cant stand for to long at the moment after having an accident and falling 3 levels in a building.

I can honestly see now how good it would be if all clubs made for wheel chair access if possible, as its pretty crap being in a chair and to get to go racing and have some enjoyment that makes you forget about every day life would be awesome

Racing from a normal drivers stand level is a must, being at a lower level just makes you crash into people etc....
Old 10-25-2011, 05:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Default WHEEL CHAIR ACCESS

I do know that Logan city rcc on Brisbanes south side has a "wheelie" whom I often see racing on-road tourers & the club has installed a single place low stand off to one side of the main drivers stand.
I don't know how effective this stand is for this bloke to see the track (but this track ground level is about 1.5-2 meters below the stand & is beside race control & I believe it affords some sort of a fair field of veiw), but at least a positive effort has been made, so congrats to the Logan city on-road club boys.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'd just like to say that Maitland Offroad now has a drivers' stand that is wheelchair accessible, after a lot of work from us and council. The access ramp is not quite complete, but we've now had two meetings where wheelchair athletes have been able to position themselves on the same stand as everyone else.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Excellent work, I am sure you have made some people very happy from achieving this and may attract more members in the future
Old 12-21-2011, 08:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by LOSI123
Excellent work, I am sure you have made some people very happy from achieving this and may attract more members in the future
I hope so. As of earlier this month our VP is a wheelchair athlete so all the planets are aligning to attract more wheelchair members.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:24 AM
Tech Champion

I just wanted to let everyone know that Luke Rich is now NSW 4WD Stock State Champion. As far as I know the first driver in a wheechair to win an AARCMCC Championship.

I hope his win will help raise the profile of wheelchair athletes in the sport.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active
I just wanted to let everyone know that Luke Rich is now NSW 4WD Stock State Champion. As far as I know the first driver in a wheechair to win an AARCMCC Championship.

I hope his win will help raise the profile of wheelchair athletes in the sport.
That is seriously good news. I don't know Luke, but got to watch some of his handiwork in 2WD yesterday when I was manning the barbie.

Congratulations Luke, awesome effort.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I spoke with Johnathon McMillan today at Maitland and I said what are you do here I thought you would have been racing at castle hill. He seemed pretty disappointed and said no wheelie access and yes the penny dropped after being there Friday, no wheel chair access. This is seriously something that the councils should be made to make mandatory at all sporting venues so everyone can take part.

Maybe Castlehill offroad follow up story in their local paper can make a point of the no wheelchair access and the new state champ. Just might get the ball rolling and help benefit all in wheelchairs.

Can't hurt to try.