events threads for 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

events threads for 2010

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 06:30 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm only very new to the RC scene, So thus my opinion won't matter much (I don't expect it to)

But my vote would go to a calander aswell! Google would be awesome purely for the fact that it has the "show on map" link.

For people like me who have NO idea what ZZFGYET or AABDGTEF means, You can just click on it and see the area the event is in.

I can be very confusing to find an event to go race in.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by contact
yeah ok, a great calendar idea... can we link from the calendar to an rc tech thread... eg: the SMA Enduro is click-able to a corresponding discussion thread? if you could do that then i see a lot of sense in having both... mind you it would be great to have a calendar that showed all the club racing and big events on at any time!

your an ex-mod BK do you think a separate events thread would be welcome inclusion?
I love the sound of all of this. Have the events calender "important" at the top and the events can make up the rest of the list without needing to be important. They can be moved to Oz racing after an event if need be. It just comes down to someone with know how making it happen.

Nice suggestions Contact and BK.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by contact
yeah ok, a great calendar idea... can we link from the calendar to an rc tech thread... eg: the SMA Enduro is click-able to a corresponding discussion thread? if you could do that then i see a lot of sense in having both... mind you it would be great to have a calendar that showed all the club racing and big events on at any time!

your an ex-mod BK do you think a separate events thread would be welcome inclusion?
The description fields for a calendar or a individual event can contain free text comments and notes. website addresses don't convert to click-able links, they stay as plain text.

A separate events thread would be neater for the Aus forum.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Actually, Google Calendar does support linking custom data to an event (links, images, etc). They just aren't displayed on the standard embedded calendar.

I imagine something could be done where clubs would setup their event using a form similar to this. The admin could then add the event to the RCTech calendar with a single click.

To view the calendar, rather than embedding it into RCTech, hook into it's datafeed and generate a page via JS using their supplied API. You should be then able to display custom fields. I imagine two you would want to include would be links to the Event website and RCTech discussion.

This is how we implemented our events calendar at St. Ives.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ok this is what i will do...

ask for an "australian racing - events" sub-forum for all events to be posted in it (or moved if they make the main forum) to be made.

there are actually a number of php calendars (i use one at work for instance) perhaps its worth making one for australian r/c?? the question then becomes access, accuracy and maintenance... ill step back from that baby but would be happy to 'stick' a link to the most 'accepted' calendar (might have to run a vote?? there isnt any point in having a dozen calendars doing the same thing - imagine the potential advertising if it gets heaps of traffic!)
Old 12-02-2009, 12:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i am all for the calender with links
would be alot easier to find events.

Just a suggestion. could always just have one calender but colour code different events to as on-road or offroad event
Old 12-02-2009, 01:02 AM
Tech Elite

ive put the request in for an additional sub-forum "Australian Events" could we perhaps hold off posting any (too many) 2010 events until this forum appears

i think the calendar thing is a good but separate idea that could be developed, in my request for the sub-forum i suggested rctech could look at incorporating a calendar ... after all it just another db to store! if that happens credit where its due to BK
Old 12-02-2009, 08:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

On the subject of a calender it may be worth talking to TJ. I believe the RC CORE homepage has a pretty good calander of the year for events both on and off road. I believe it also is clickable for further details.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Default I have published Australian Off-Road and On-Road calendars since last year

I have published Australian Off-Road and On-Road calendars since last year on my website http://chickentrading.com/viewforum.php?f=12 . The 2010 calendars are only in their infancy right now, and I’m trying to get more confirmed information about events. The 2010 calendars are mostly suggested dates based on last year’s events at this stage, but will be updated as the organisers can come up with confirmed dates.

The calendars had some links only last year, but all available links will be added this year. Users need to see if the listed events have “Confirmed” to the listing, or the event is only a suggestion based on the previous year. I feel that this is the best way that is available to me to help organisers of events to avoid clashing events, and it is recommended to contact the clubs that may have events that could clash. The listing are for any trophy event that is open to any participant.

I need as much help as I can get to keep the calendars relevant and up to date, and news are most appreciated. Please feel free to post your messages on the calendar forums at the website. I would also be happy to add another calendar or calendar design if someone wants to contribute.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:53 PM
TJ
Tech Champion

Default event calendar

If you guys wish I can start a thread on the new events thread, with a link to the google calendar. If contact wishes that could be the only important thread so it stays on the top of the list and all events can go into it. What do you think???
Old 12-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Tech Rookie

I think someone needs to have another go at spelling Australian.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Tech Elite

hee hee... ill sort that out, but i cant personally fix the spelling!

ill unstick this thread
Old 12-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TJ
If you guys wish I can start a thread on the new events thread, with a link to the google calendar. If contact wishes that could be the only important thread so it stays on the top of the list and all events can go into it. What do you think???
I believe that normal club racing should be kept on the club's own website, and only special events should be listed here. A club that doesn't have a website could always list their dates on the club's thread at this website. It would very very hard to get all clubs to submit their calendars to help with our calendar, I know from experience that some clubs and organisations believe in communications, but to get some other clubs to communicate with important matters is even difficult.

The calendar entries need to be screened in my view, and it would make the calendar more relevant if it could have all special events from Nats to interclub and special trophy events like Minis or F1 that are not exclusive to club members there only, and try to list them all, to make the calendar the place where everyone goes to find out where and what is taking place. It would be a lot of less work with special events only there.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Default Day - night event - Jan 23 Presidents Shield

Day - night event - Jan 23 Presidents Shield, BRCCC Wynnum Queensland. The club is planning to make this event massive this year. All South East Queensland RC fans should take a note of this event!

Details and entry forms will be out soon. http://www.wynnumrc.com/

Australian 2010 On-Road RC events Calendar at http://chickentrading.com/viewtopic....529&p=699#p699, has been updated.

Kindest regards,
Lars.