HELP WITH F1 CAR...

Old 11-29-2009, 03:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default HELP WITH F1 CAR...

Hi,
i am vey new to racing F1's but not new to racing. I have a HPI Formula TEN
chassis. i have fitted it with a 17.5 lrp brushless with about 60mm roll out,
on a 2cell lipo. The factory "rubber" tyres are in my opinion "S%#T" Off power steer seams to be ok but on power steer is well un-drivable! even if you breath on the throttle it spins. The differential is free and is not binding or locked. I bolted on a set of sorex rubbers and a little more traction but not much! Even with the "F104" foamy's on there it still spins out on power! So my question is does anyone else have one and what can be done to make it more drivable?
cheers
Fizzo
Old 11-29-2009, 03:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

i dont have a hpi f10
but with my F103 i found i had to use a thick grease on the pressure plates. i also used 60-80wt shock oil with 18lbs spring.
if you can change the front springs, a softer one may help aswell.

also what type of surface are u running on?

hope that helps
Old 11-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i am on track asphalt. i had a play with it last night and found if i loosened off the rear pod and made it flop around it handled better. i need traction compound i think
Old 11-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

for foam tyres i found Home Brand sorbolene works really well on foam tyres. i just use it on the rear.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Sounds like pan car handling to me.

I never could get my head around driving them. Too much happy trigger finger, every time
Old 11-30-2009, 03:55 AM
Tech Regular

You can try and loosen the diff a fraction let it have a little
slip also try a little toe in one the front about .5-1 deg sounds weird but makes the f104 hook up also try some weight in the rear about 70grams
hope some of these work for you
Old 12-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey Guys,

I have the F104PRO Tamiya, i too had issues with rear spinning out, things i did to improve:

A. back the throttle to 40 - 50% so your not happy trigger
B. loosen the rear diff, to make slip a bit more
Old 12-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

The suggestions outlined above are good, but I think the F10 only has a gear diff, which I think is non-adjustable. Anyone know if a ball diff is available as an option?
Old 12-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Tech Master

yeah i believed HPI released a ball diff as a option part.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey Guys,

I just got a HPI f10 and i was looking at dialing in some more camber in the front... how does one do this as for the life of me i cant find any documentations in regards to this.

P.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pokiou View Post
Hey Guys,

I just got a HPI f10 and i was looking at dialing in some more camber in the front... how does one do this as for the life of me i cant find any documentations in regards to this.

P.
Hey P.
With the Formula 10 you can not dial any camber in as the is fixed and factory set.What are you trying to acheive? As I race this car at club level I may be able to help you out as I have encounted various stages of problems and have rectified them over my racing season.

Cheers Chris
Old 04-04-2011, 04:09 AM
Tech Adept

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the response.. I find that the car is tail happy and then very under-steering at most times. I am using the stock tires that came in the kit. I was told foams are great if you can afford them after 10 races... something i can, but would rather not. I just ordered the EXOtek kit for the car and hope that it gives me a little more adjustment.

But as for what i want to do, i want the car to stop being unpredictable. I can only drive it on 35% power. It's running the Yeah Racing bm00015v2 esc matched to its 3000kv motor. Also running a 2cell 7.4 lipo soft pack which i want to get rid of as the shell doesn't sit down on the car properly as it expands one side of the shell more then the other due to its cables.

Punch mode is disabled and braking is at 100%. Drag braking is at 5%, I hope that helps

Pok.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pokiou View Post
Hey Chris,

Thanks for the response.. I find that the car is tail happy and then very under-steering at most times. I am using the stock tires that came in the kit. I was told foams are great if you can afford them after 10 races... something i can, but would rather not. I just ordered the EXOtek kit for the car and hope that it gives me a little more adjustment.

But as for what i want to do, i want the car to stop being unpredictable. I can only drive it on 35% power. It's running the Yeah Racing bm00015v2 esc matched to its 3000kv motor. Also running a 2cell 7.4 lipo soft pack which i want to get rid of as the shell doesn't sit down on the car properly as it expands one side of the shell more then the other due to its cables.

Punch mode is disabled and braking is at 100%. Drag braking is at 5%, I hope that helps

Pok.
Ok adjust the expo on your steering to 100%, adjust your toe out to + 2 degrees, invest in the HPI super softs they work a treat and save you having to convert your front and rear end to suit the foam setup. Doing this alone will give you more grip.Trust me you will be supprised.

Are you racing this or street racing what other brand F1's are you racing against? As it matter on how much setup you will have to do.
Going into the next stage of finding more grip get the threaded aluminium shock and lightened rear shaft and if your cash flow permits the ball diferential setup as this to will aloow you to throttle down and not spin out.

I to have purchased the exoteh but trying to find the trus setup potential of the car and motor combo before I apply this mod as I will be going to the 1 cell configuration trying to lighten the car to gain more speed and seconds off my lap times.

If you want to know more I happy to assist, just let me know as I have fully mooded my F10 and can post up pics if need be.

Cheers Chris
Old 04-04-2011, 05:20 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks mate,

Whats the EXPO you referring to i have a Futaba 2pl 2.4g. I just use the car @ Templestowe in Melbourne and hope to compete at some stage once i feel confident with the way the car handles. As for adjusting the TOE, how do i do that? do i need a specific tool?
Old 04-04-2011, 05:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

F1 racing is all about throttle control, and minimising steering.

HPI F10s are substantially worse than other f1 cars straight out of the box. Whats more is they are ridiculously expensive to upgrade to all the usual stuff that a normal f1 car comes with.

Things that will help;

-The exotek chassis makes a huuuge difference on the car.
-Set end points on your steering to about 45 degrees of turning, that is all you need.
-The centre shock spring preload makes a huge difference. Tighten and loosen it one turn at a time and see how it goes. One turn makes a very noticable difference in how the car will drive.
-Loosen off the diff as much as possible.
-Toe IN helps alot.... and no thats not a typo... TOE IN!!! if you're spinning out all the time.

The only real fix to improving the handling and enjoyment of the HPI though, is to buy a a Tamiya

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.