Wiki Posts
Search

RB Matrix RW Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default RB Matrix RW Question

Can anyone confirm the base needle settings for the Matrix RW. Silly me did not check the initial settings when I started the "run in" and the RB website (and instructions) says 1 turn for the LSN and 8 turns for the HSN.

8 turns on the HSN seems very excessive and when the needle is screwed out to this point, it is way past the flush point (about 3mm). I ran it like this for the first few tanks during the run in and it was running very very rich.

This is OK for running in for the first couple of tanks, but not really very good for speed & fuel economy.

Thanks

Last edited by Andrew Barr; 09-03-2009 at 08:12 PM. Reason: grammer ;)
Old 09-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andrew Barr
Can anyone confirm the base needle settings for the Matrix RW. Silly me did not check the initial settings when I started the "run in" and the RB website (and instructions) says 1 turn for the LSN and 8 turns for the HSN.

8 turns on the HSN seems very excessive and when the needle is screwed out to this point it is way past the flush point (about 3mm). I ran it like this for the first few tanks during the run in and it was running very very rich.

This is OK for running in for the first couple of tanks, but not really very good for speed & fuel economy.

Thanks
Andrew,

If lots of smoke coming out from pipe and cant pickup speed then is too rich.

Has the engine finish running in? if yes then start lean it!

if you going to moorebank on Sunday I help you to tune it. marking sure your throttle servo is work too
Old 09-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tl2111
Andrew,

If lots of smoke coming out from pipe and cant pickup speed then is too rich.

Has the engine finish running in? if yes then start lean it!

if you going to moorebank on Sunday I help you to tune it.
Thanks Tommy.

I finished running it in last Sunday and was trying to get the final tune. When backing off the throttle it was holding high idle rpm for about 7 seconds and then dropped back down to a reasonable idle. When I hit the throttle again it was stalling and eventually came up to speed.

My throttle servo than gave up and I could not continue to tune it.

I am going to put this motor into my 733 and once I have it all set up, i'll get you to have a look. Unfortunately I cannot get to the track until mid October due to a massive amount of family commitments over the coming weeks Six weeks of no racing is going to be a killer.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

GOOD MAN ! You went RB !

Need more RBs in the onroad scene
Old 09-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Tommy.

I finished running it in last Sunday and was trying to get the final tune. When backing off the throttle it was holding high idle rpm for about 7 seconds and then dropped back down to a reasonable idle. When I hit the throttle again it was stalling and eventually came up to speed.

My throttle servo than gave up and I could not continue to tune it.

I am going to put this motor into my 733 and once I have it all set up, i'll get you to have a look. Unfortunately I cannot get to the track until mid October due to a massive amount of family commitments over the coming weeks Six weeks of no racing is going to be a killer.
when you say it drops to a lower idle, does the engine sound like it's starving? Or is it burbly the whole time? It sounds like the LSN could be a little rich...
Old 09-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Team-RTR
when you say it drops to a lower idle, does the engine sound like it's starving? Or is it burbly the whole time? It sounds like the LSN could be a little rich...
I think the LSN was too rich and HSN too lean.

It drops to the correct idle and then burbles initially when I hit the throttle.

I just need the initial settings so I can start from scratch, problem is the initial settings (as per the RB manual) seem too extreme.
Most of the other RB .12 motors have a LSN setting of 2.5 and HSN setting of 5, which seems more appropriate.

Worse case scenario is I come out and have a race and test it
Old 09-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

I think the LSN was too rich and HSN too lean.

It drops to the correct idle and then burbles initially when I hit the throttle.

I just need the initial settings so I can start from scratch, problem is the initial settings (as per the RB manual) seem too extreme.
Most of the other RB .12 motors have a LSN setting of 2.5 and HSN setting of 5, which seems more appropriate.

Worse case scenario is I come out and have a race and test it
5 turns on the HSN and 2.5 on the LSN are general settings for most Novarossi based motors, but i beleive the matrix is sirio based which is why they may have different settings on the site? but it still seems like alot. yeah it seems like its rich on the LSN, it shouldnt sound like the motor has "two idle points" which in the way your describing it definitely sounds like. try leaning out the LSN slowly until your motor sits at the initial higher RPM at idle, then drop the idle down as needed.